NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Installing Trailer Light Wiring (Rear)

Old 01-23-16, 03:42 PM
terrybill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Trailer Light Wiring (Rear)

Disclaimer: There is a fair amount of force needed along the way to remove various parts. Leave this to professionals and don’t do it yourself. You could break a nail, break part of your car or eventually cause it to catch fire. The following is for entertainment purposes only and should not be used for any actual action by any human, living or dead.

This will get you into the bowels of the back of your NX. If you have a 300 the wiring is then easy because the battery is right there. If you have a 200 it gets a little more complicated because you need to run a wire up to the battery in front. I certainly can’t recommend tapping power off of the “lighter” plug in the back, guessing it’s only powered with the key on and may not handle the current draw of your 35’ Airstream with 40 extra marker lights on it.

I used the Curt 56268 harness mostly because I was more comfortable with their slightly more detailed instructions than the Towready 118652 remove and replace version. I imagine either harness will work just fine. Curt’s Instructions are here http://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary..._56268_INS.pdf and this should be considered an adjunct to that.

Here are some things that seemed worth sharing.

The storage trays (Curt’s step 2) are held in by plastic pins. A slight push down should allow you to get a fingernail or screwdriver under them and pop them off. When it is time to replace them pull that center pin up well above the collar, push them into the hole and then push the center pin flush.

The scuff panel (Curt’s step 3) is held in place by the soon to be familiar white plastic snap in pins. It took some force but once I got one end started I was able to work my way across fairly painlessly. You can pull up on the inside and get something broad to pry with on the outside to get things started and then do the rest with your gloved fingers. If you break it you did something wrong.

Removing the side panels is where I got scared off the last time I tried this and Curt could have given me a little more help here. The four tie downs with hex head bolts are pretty fool-proof. But the two rectangular ones have nice chunk of plastic hiding the bolts. A little nudge with a screw driver will pivot that out of the way. The holders for the privacy cover(?) were just nasty and I still don’t know if I got them out the right way but I got them out (and back in) and nothing broke. The yellow arrows point at what holds them in. The red arrows point at what might push in and release them but I wasn’t finding that to be too effective.

Once the various external fasteners above are removed, the side panels pop out with some force applied to pop those now ubiquitous white pins. There are some alignment slots at the top of the panels but they give up easily once the white pins are defeated. The yellow arrow points at the light plug you’ll be tapping into on the left side, with right side similarly located.

All in all it was a satisfying project, with just the right amount of challenges, no defeats and not taking too much time. But of course you should not attempt it.