NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 03:34 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.

So I'm looking to install a dash cam. I've been long considering one on my old '12 TL but I never got around to it because I wanted to do a proper hardwire install but was too lazing to stick the wiring through the panels of the A-pillar.

I've found NXOwner's thread about where the fusebox is but I don't know how I would hide the wire. Has anyone done this?

Also, what dash cams are you guys using? I'm considering the mini 0806 or KDLinks X1. I'm trying to get something that's good value but still very decent.
Old 12-05-15, 12:47 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I just hardwired my dashcam to my NX on Thanksgiving day.

I used the following tools, accessories...

Panel Removal Tools:

Add-a-Circuit:

12v-to-5v Adapter:

I ran a 10' USB cable from the top of the windshield (by the mirror) along the front roof liner, down the A-pillar (between the weather-stripping and the pillar's cover), down along the left side dash (under the weather-stripping), under the plastic lower dash panel, to the fuse box where the add-a-circuit & 5v adapter were installed. The add-a-circuit was added to the power accessory fuse location (5 amp), so it is a switched circuit.

I zip-tied all excess cabling and the other components underneath (just behind the OBD-II port), securing it to avoid rattles, noise, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (11-23-17)
Old 12-05-15, 01:18 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an RCF but I've done the same install in all my cars since 2007

I bought a 16' usb cable and ran it under the head liner down the a pillar under the dash and up under the console. Came up thru the hinge hole in the console and connected it to a cig to usb converter. I used those sticky and zip zip ties to hold the wire in place anywhere it is lose.

Add a fuse is a great option but I prefer to be able to just unplug it and remove quickly if the need arises
Old 12-05-15, 02:23 PM
spyderman3
Driver School Candidate

here is my setup...

Bought everything off of Amazon

A118-C Capacitor Edition Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashcam | 1080P Full HD Video| Authentic NT96650 + AR0330

Wiring kit like this one -
Amazon.com : Spy Tec Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Micro USB Compatible with Mini 0806, Mini 0806 and Mini 0803 | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder : Electronics Amazon.com : Spy Tec Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Micro USB Compatible with Mini 0806, Mini 0806 and Mini 0803 | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder : Electronics

Tap a Fuse
Amazon.com: Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder: Automotive

I also bought a box of fuses

I placed it behind the rear view mirror and ran the cable from the dashcam all the way to the fuse box...

I used a tap a circuit and grounded it on the body (there was a screw coming off the fusebox that I loosed and placed the ground on)..

Took me no more than 1 hour from start to finish and I took my time.

Pics.
Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_20151205_150029.jpg   Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_20151205_150103.jpg  

Last edited by spyderman3; 12-05-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 07:46 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Disclaimer -- do at your own risk --

When you hide the wire behind the A-pillar in order to go for the hardwiring method, the proper way is to remove the A-pillar trim so that you can see the airbag and hide the dash cam wiring behind the airbag to avoid any issue if God permits the airbag to deploy.

The picture shows the scenario in 3IS and NX may be similar --- I hide the wire by including the wire in the plastic brackets that hold the clear tube as highlighted. In the picture, there is a black thin wire on the left side which is the dash cam power line but it is very difficult to see.

As mentioned, do at your own risk. Be careful not to touch any portion of the airbag. The most difficult part to me was to remove the A-pillar trim as when you get it out, you may mar or discolour the vinyl dash surrounding it. I did use some thin masking tapes on the vinyl dash to prevent from being marred or discoloured.

I used this as a reference --

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html
Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_1544.png  

Last edited by AndyL; 12-05-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 07:56 PM
skabei
Driver

Thanks a lot guys for the tips. This is very doable once I get the pieces. I would preferably like to remove the entire trim for the A-pillar but I'm not sure what's holding it together. If there are clips then I may want to be prepared with backups if I snap them.
Old 12-05-15, 11:54 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I wrote up a bit of a DIY for a Blackvue dashcam here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9052326

I didn't want to risk breaking the clips and interfering with the airbag in the A-pillar, so I guided the wires down to the fuse box along the door jam underneath the weatherstripping. As you route the wires down, near the hood release area there is a gap where you will be able to pass the wire to the foot well area and reach the fusebox.
Old 12-06-15, 02:05 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not sure where I saw it, but can't you tap into the power of the rear view mirror?
Old 12-06-15, 07:24 AM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
I'm not sure where I saw it, but can't you tap into the power of the rear view mirror?
I had this option on my 2012 TL but if I did this, I would have lose the auti-dimming on the mirror. I'm not sure if I would have the same problem on the NX unless there's an extra socket.
Old 12-07-15, 12:09 AM
online421
Rookie

hi, I have someone to install the dash cam for me today.

its Blackvue 650 2 channel model, its very easy. took less than 40 minutes. the technician commented the fuse box is similar to a Toyota, very easy to work with.

as for the hiding the wires, others has mentioned above.

I paid $60 USD for the installation.
Old 12-07-15, 12:13 AM
online421
Rookie

unfortunately due to the sensor and the box behind the rear vision mirror, I can see the Blackvue while driving...

Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_0520.jpg

Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_0514.jpg

Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.-img_0519.jpg
Old 12-07-15, 12:33 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by online421
unfortunately due to the sensor and the box behind the rear vision mirror, I can see the Blackvue while driving...
That is exactly why I mounted mine upside down, so it could be installed beside the sensors. It's slightly off center, but the wide angle of the lens means I'm not missing any coverage.

Now that I think about it, you wouldn't even need to mount it upside down for right hand drive.
Old 12-07-15, 08:07 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
I wrote up a bit of a DIY for a Blackvue dashcam here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9052326

I didn't want to risk breaking the clips and interfering with the airbag in the A-pillar, so I guided the wires down to the fuse box along the door jam underneath the weatherstripping. As you route the wires down, near the hood release area there is a gap where you will be able to pass the wire to the foot well area and reach the fusebox.
I have done a similar routing (door jam, behind a side panel on the driver's side and near the hood release)in my 3IS.

Correct me if I am wrong, I don't see how the dash cam wire can be run behind the airbag module (looking from driver's seat) without taking off the A-pillar panel.
Old 02-07-17, 02:29 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Could anyone do a comprehensive diy write up?
Old 05-27-17, 12:45 PM
legoland
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 RX dash cam install

Just did a simple install to the center armrest outlet. The ceiling panel can be moved enough with fingers to get power cable into edge.
Visible part of cable. Doesn't seem like a way around this without messing with air bag cover.

The cover and weatherstripping are both loose enough to squeeze cable into there.

There's a plastic cover under glove box area. Plastic tabs hold it in place. I clicked the tabs open and put the cable on the inside of cover. Was very easy to click tabs and loosen cover to hide wire.
This is the side panel of passenger seat. The back corner is loose enough to pull back slightly and hide cable behind it.
This is the storage area under shifter. Cable went from that passenger panel and out at this location.

And done.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam Hardwiring and hiding wire.