NX Oil Consumption !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 04:15 PM
Louay1978
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NX Oil Consumption !!!

Hi Everyone,

I just want to say Kudos to every body on CLUB LEXUS forums excellent work and information.

I have a question regarding the NX oil consumption. I do have an F-Sport model with only 2,400 KM. I was doing a routine check on the car this morning, and I noticed that the engine oil was low, to be exact it was 3/4 full on the dipstick. Car was inside the garage overnight.

I did take a closer look at the engine all around to see if I can spot an oil leak or something however there was nothing. Now from my previous checks I know the car was full right to the full mark on the dipstick.

I did call three different Lexus dealers in the GTA (Toronto) area and I had different answers.

1) I should get the engine running until it reach optimal temperature, then shot off the engine and wait for couple minutes then do an oil check.

2) This is not normal for this car bring it in for service.

3) This is normal for Lexus, 1qt of oil per 1500 KM.

So my questions to you guys is has anybody check there engine oil? if so is there any loss?

Regards,
Old 06-10-15, 05:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum and hope you're enjoying your NX.

When my wife brought it in for complimentary 8k km servicing last week, they topped off the engine oil. I thought it was abnormal but they made no references to it being unusual.
Old 06-11-15, 03:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Given that its a turbo engine, its not entirely shocking that it drinks a little oil. However, a qt of oil every 900ish miles is a little ridiculous.

I personally haven't checked mine at 1200 miles, but I'm going to take it in for an oil change next week (~1500 miles) and I'll ask what the level was.

That's a lot of blowby though....
Old 06-30-15, 07:50 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louay1978
Hi Everyone,

I just want to say Kudos to every body on CLUB LEXUS forums excellent work and information.

I have a question regarding the NX oil consumption. I do have an F-Sport model with only 2,400 KM. I was doing a routine check on the car this morning, and I noticed that the engine oil was low, to be exact it was 3/4 full on the dipstick. Car was inside the garage overnight.

I did take a closer look at the engine all around to see if I can spot an oil leak or something however there was nothing. Now from my previous checks I know the car was full right to the full mark on the dipstick.

I did call three different Lexus dealers in the GTA (Toronto) area and I had different answers.

1) I should get the engine running until it reach optimal temperature, then shot off the engine and wait for couple minutes then do an oil check.

2) This is not normal for this car bring it in for service.

3) This is normal for Lexus, 1qt of oil per 1500 KM.

So my questions to you guys is has anybody check there engine oil? if so is there any loss?

Regards,
Just my $0.02 worth. I have nearly 6000 miles on my NX. Majority of my driving is very easy starts and stops, with the Eco mode on majority of the time. I did just a few aggressive 0-60 runs just to see how things run. No oil consumption thus far. A recent round trip from Missouri to New Jersey (2,200 miles) resulted in 32.5 mpg. I typically do the posted speed limit. The intent of this is to give you an idea how I drive my NX. I would suspect, that those who drive their new NX more aggressively would obviously get lower gas mileage and possibly have a higher oil consumption.

Regardless of how you drive your vehicle, if your NX is currently consuming oil, obviously keep track of it, add as necessary but also give your engine time (mileage) to "break in". Remember, your engine has a synthetic oil which prevents engine parts from wearing less than conventional oil, but on the other hand, an engine needs to wear in some to effectively seal or mate the surfaces together. If you continue to notice your engine is consuming more oil than what the owners manual states (say at about 15,000 miles), keep receipts and detail records of your oil consumption history. If things do not improve and get worse, you will have evidence to present to the service manager, regional manager etc., for a repair or engine replacement.

Wish you the best,
Ray
Old 06-30-15, 11:46 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
However, a qt of oil every 900ish miles is a little ridiculous.
At that rate, no one will ever make their 10K service!

Not to mention that there would be a good possibility that the car would have some black soot around the tail pipe, no?
Old 06-30-15, 11:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D4V1D
At that rate, no one will ever make their 10K service!

Not to mention that there would be a good possibility that the car would have some black soot around the tail pipe, no?
Yes, you never would make that 10k mile change. Essentially, whoever told the OP that is a borderline moron...or perhaps doesn't understand math? (Oil in car after oil change - (Burn rate/900 miles) =/= safe volume of oil at 10k mile)

Black soot on the tail pipe does not always signify an oil issue. It can also represent that you are running rich, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your tall tail sign of oil consumption is bluish smoke from your exhaust, and the very potent smell of oil from your exhaust pipe.
Old 08-14-18, 11:40 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Few things, I have had the up pipe/charge pipe etc (post turbo) off on a 15,16 and 2018 NX. In all off them, the mileage was BELOW 5K, And in all of them there was oil lining the pipes. I work at Lexus so I investigated this. Lexus has rather heavy blow-by through the PCV on there inline 4 cylinder boosted engine (8AR-FTS). They have tried addressing this with a semi dry sump set up and multiple internal baffles to catch the oil before the positive crank pressure vent, while still releasing pressure. The semi-dry sump set system is rather interesting as an engineer to look into. There is a valve that closes off the main sump from the engine when it is started. So, the engine runs off a much smaller amount of oil then when the engine is shut off, that oil re-mixes with the main sump. On top of that there is a windage tray around the crank even for the small amount it uses during run time. This helps pull oil away from the crank and other rotation parts to prevent air cavitation. All of this is still not enough, the engine still pulls a good amount of oil up with the pressure when venting which gets routed back into the intake. Lexus allows/accepts a level of consumption that is 1qt per 1000 miles. This does not mean its going to be 1qt every 1000 leading up to 3qt per 3K.. etc etc. This number is negatively exponential on the amount of oil left in the system after pressure purges off. essentially it gets to a level that stops picking up oil with pressure. But once the engine is restarted, you go back to that higher level with means oil consumption/blow by til it falls back down. This is effected by temp, driving style, elevation.. so many factors. I digress....

This engine NEEDS a catch can. A proper catch can with a proper internal baffle. Only catch is the air would need to route from the can back to the intake because that is metered air.
The following 2 users liked this post by skyshadow:
MikeVJ (08-24-18), ukrkoz (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 11:45 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Our 2015 NX has 30K miles and I change the oil every 5K miles. It does not use enough oil between oil changes to see any change on the dip stick. There might be a slight amount of oil going through the PVC valve, but it’s not enough to cause problems or warrant a catch can.
Old 08-15-18, 04:29 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I have noticed NO oil consumption in 6 000 miles and am going to do oil change tomorrow. Oil didn't really darken, I'll do it anyway, as I had some maintenance minder messages popping up, so I want to do my own oil change and reset everything.
That was very informative post, skyshadow.
I watch a bunch of Russian Youtube automotive videos and their consensus is - any turboed engine MUST have very good quality oil, for turbo lubrication and that turbos do not last more than 60-100 000 km. That's 45 - 60 000 miles. They are all adamant on turbos to be replaced somewhere in that range and they have more experience with turboed engines than we do. Simple reason - Europe had turboed 4 cyl engines way before the wave hit US and Russia has plenty of them to play with before us.
Old 08-15-18, 07:56 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Few things, I have had the up pipe/charge pipe etc (post turbo) off on a 15,16 and 2018 NX. In all off them, the mileage was BELOW 5K, And in all of them there was oil lining the pipes. I work at Lexus so I investigated this. Lexus has rather heavy blow-by through the PCV on there inline 4 cylinder boosted engine (8AR-FTS). They have tried addressing this with a semi dry sump set up and multiple internal baffles to catch the oil before the positive crank pressure vent, while still releasing pressure. The semi-dry sump set system is rather interesting as an engineer to look into. There is a valve that closes off the main sump from the engine when it is started. So, the engine runs off a much smaller amount of oil then when the engine is shut off, that oil re-mixes with the main sump. On top of that there is a windage tray around the crank even for the small amount it uses during run time. This helps pull oil away from the crank and other rotation parts to prevent air cavitation. All of this is still not enough, the engine still pulls a good amount of oil up with the pressure when venting which gets routed back into the intake. Lexus allows/accepts a level of consumption that is 1qt per 1000 miles. This does not mean its going to be 1qt every 1000 leading up to 3qt per 3K.. etc etc. This number is negatively exponential on the amount of oil left in the system after pressure purges off. essentially it gets to a level that stops picking up oil with pressure. But once the engine is restarted, you go back to that higher level with means oil consumption/blow by til it falls back down. This is effected by temp, driving style, elevation.. so many factors. I digress....

This engine NEEDS a catch can. A proper catch can with a proper internal baffle. Only catch is the air would need to route from the can back to the intake because that is metered air.
Have you ever noticed this in a 2016+ GS 200T/300?
Old 08-18-18, 08:05 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Same engine (8AR-FTS) as the NX300 and IS200t so same set up.
Old 08-23-18, 09:41 AM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do oil changes on our 2016 nx200t and 2017 is200t every 5k miles. The both drain at least 1/4 qt less when I do the oil changes. I just assumed that was normal. I wondered if I went the full 10K miles then how much oil would be burned up. The oil is very thin so it did not surprise me.