NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 09:45 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a picture of the NX passenger front door open after driving in the Missouri snow/slush.

Just as I got my cell phone camera ready, part of the hanging slush fell off. As you can see in the picture the volume of the slush on the floor, and you can see where it gets attached to the door. As a temporary solution, I first cleaned this area very well, then sprayed silicone spray (clear)on the black plastic and below the rocker panel. This does two things, one, it helps a little to free the slush and two, keeps the area somewhat cleaner once the slush falls off. It is not a full cure, but helps a little.

NX200T F-sport
Old 03-03-15, 12:06 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Lord... thank goodness no snow here.. but I still feel the pain... substitute the snow with mud and that's what I get.. though not as much mud as that snow... but your pic really proves something isn't right down there... it has accumulated so much snow...

Originally Posted by rayzer57
Here is a picture of the NX passenger front door open after driving in the Missouri snow/slush.

Just as I got my cell phone camera ready, part of the hanging slush fell off. As you can see in the picture the volume of the slush on the floor, and you can see where it gets attached to the door. As a temporary solution, I first cleaned this area very well, then sprayed silicone spray (clear)on the black plastic and below the rocker panel. This does two things, one, it helps a little to free the slush and two, keeps the area somewhat cleaner once the slush falls off. It is not a full cure, but helps a little.

NX200T F-sport
Old 03-03-15, 12:08 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ARIZONASUN
We have owned our nx 300h for four months now.. 36.3 MPG in town and on our freeways.
Now the dirt. Owning many street rods caused me to detail them all the time. Now comes the NX. Same goes with any nice car.. Sure the door bottoms are bad but take a look at the front wheel wells. Very hard to clean as there are many humps and bumps to clean PLUS THE coil over springs... Just part of the detailing of nice rides..Do not be a cry baby and either clean it your self or get it cleaned.... We live in the sunny state of Arizona which helps lots....
So when did it start snowing in AZ...
Old 03-03-15, 12:09 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

I doubt it would... I don't think the running board will seal the gap/opening..

Originally Posted by rocdude
Will Installing a Running Board help with this at all? Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-15, 06:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Smile OEM Seal vs Modified Seal

Originally Posted by rayzer57

Just as I got my cell phone camera ready, part of the hanging slush fell off. As you can see in the picture the volume of the slush on the floor, and you can see where it gets attached to the door.
I share your experience.

The good news is, for those interested, there's an easy and inexpensive fix.

The extended seal I've been assessing the last couple days has proven to be effective. The snow/slush is significantly reduced as per the pics. Driver's side has the fix, passenger side purposely does not to contrast the effectiveness. In short, this works and I will implement this on the passenger side this weekend.

I'll post a DIY shortly.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-nx_seal1.jpg   Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-nx_seal2.jpg   Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-nx_seal3.jpg   Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-nx_seal4.jpg  
Old 03-03-15, 08:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

DIY here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-seal-fix.html
Old 01-14-17, 07:16 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Bumping this thread...

Anyone with a 2016 or 2017 model notice this to be a problem? Was this a case of us just being picky, or has the door deal been improved since the first model year?
Old 01-15-17, 11:57 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Bumping this thread...

Anyone with a 2016 or 2017 model notice this to be a problem? Was this a case of us just being picky, or has the door deal been improved since the first model year?
No change that I can perceive for the 2016 MY. My NX does the same thing. It is hard to say if it does it to the same degree from pictures, but I can't tell that it has been improved. It clearly still makes a mess along the door bottoms and especially along the edge of the rear door where it becomes part of the rear wheel well once the door is closed. I cannot imagine how they would ever fix that without making it a two door vehicle.
Old 01-16-17, 12:59 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

PLanning on doing this on my RX as the same issue occurs
Old 01-18-17, 08:33 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I notice the dirty snow in the door area but I wash my car often. After a snowy drive I just knock off any of the caked on snow. When the weather gets better I manually handwash or bring it to a handwash spot. I also bring it to a touchless wash spot to have the underbody sprayed.
Old 08-17-18, 01:34 PM
memilfarb
Driver School Candidate

I bought my new NX300h less than a month ago. I live in Boston and this week we had few days of bad rainy weather and when it ended I decided to take it for a wash at the Lexus dealership where I bought (free wash - nice). When I opened my doors I noticed dirt and dry mud on each door inside and also on the
Old 08-17-18, 01:42 PM
memilfarb
Driver School Candidate

I bought NX300h 2018 just few weeks ago in Boston area. After few rainy days I discovered a lot of dirt and mud on inner lower side of each front door and on inner lower corner of each rear door. I had RX300 2002 for 16 year and nothing like that happened. I went to dealership and they told me that it's the way it is designed and promised me the to clean it every time i bring it to them for a car wash. They also suggested to call Lexus. I called them and the opened a case (#1808161611 on 08/16/2018). Today I got a call from them that the can't do anything about this because it was designed that way. This is ridiculous!!!! They should of disclose this to potential customers because it's will be a major nuisance in the winter. This is a desingn flaw that shuld not happen with any car, especially a luxury car like Lexus!
I wonder how many people complained to them? the told me tha they never heard about it before.
Old 08-19-18, 04:02 PM
memilfarb
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree. What is a running board?
Old 08-20-18, 08:49 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by memilfarb
Totally agree. What is a running board?
see this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...d-threads.html
Old 09-11-22, 05:52 PM
Sschulte31
1st Gear

Default Mud and Dirt on mine

I just bought my NX 350h and this was my 1st wash. I have had 2 RX's in the past. I had driven on a red dirt road 2 days ago. I had to open all 4 doors to wash the mud off and the passenger doors had it on the rubber seals on doors too. The pics I added was after washing and you can see it still has a little dirt. Pic was just to show were I am talking about. I have never had to do that washing any car I have owned. I am going to take it to the dealership and if there is not a fix, I am done. For a brand new car this is ridiculous. I will go back to an RX.

Quick Reply: Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?