Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Will the Rav4 hybrid high voltage corrosion issue affect the NX hybrid models?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 11:58 AM
Susido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Will the Rav4 hybrid high voltage corrosion issue affect the NX hybrid models?

Am I correct in assuming the current Lexus NX hybrids use the same high-voltage connection to the rear drive units that recent Rav4 hybrids use (Im still waiting for delivery of my 350h)? In which case we can expect the serious corrosion issues some Rav4 owners have in that component will eventually also affect the NX hybrid models?

There is a massive thread about this at https://www.rav4world.com/threads/hi...roblem.318314/ and the half-assed modification to the plastic covering Toyota implemented last year isn't looking like it will be of much help preventing the corrosion. Sufficient corrosion in this area will make the vehicle inoperable and require replacement of that entire high-voltage wiring harness potentially at major expense since it is covered only by the basic warranty (not part of hybrid coverage according to Toyota). Perhaps most concerning is Toyota's poor response thus far to the issue (hence the class action lawsuit currently happening in Canada). The issue will be of most concern to owners in those parts of Canada and the US where the roads are heavily salted in winter.

Old 07-12-22, 01:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

It would appear that the issue with the RAV4 Hybrid primarily has appeared on vehicles used in areas where salt has been used on roads during the winter, including the northern parts of the US and Canada. It also appears that, before the corrosion of the cable caused problems, the vehicles were exposed to those conditions for 2 or more years. Most of the vehicles with the failed component seem to be from model years 2019 and 2020. I suspect that, in the next year or so, we will be seeing 2021 RAV4 hybrid vehicles with the same cable failure.

Since the NX Hybrid shares so many of its components with the RAV4 Hybrid, I can only assume that it is using the same cable as the RAV4 Hybrid. With the NX Hybrid first becoming available for the 2022 model year, I would be surprised if there are already any examples of that cable failing, but I won't be surprised to see examples of the cable failure starting to emerge in the next couple of years.
Old 07-18-22, 07:29 AM
T24A
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am surprised no one has responded here. I believe the hybrids have the same amount of panels underneath, so less chances those cables will be exposed directly to the elements. I wonder if from a design perspective though those cables are routed like they are in the RAV. Hopefully someone with some knowledge is able to chime in here.
Old 07-18-22, 07:59 AM
pcordo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't confirm, but I believe they are using a different part for 22. I read this in the Rav4 forum. Not sure what this looks like as I don't have my vehicle yet.
Old 07-18-22, 11:28 AM
T24A
Rookie

Originally Posted by pcordo
I can't confirm, but I believe they are using a different part for 22. I read this in the Rav4 forum. Not sure what this looks like as I don't have my vehicle yet.
I think the updated part is a just a work around that will just delay, but not completely stop the erosion
Old 08-30-22, 12:35 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T24A
I think the updated part is a just a work around that will just delay, but not completely stop the erosion
They didn't do much:
Old 08-30-22, 12:37 PM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

No such problem with the NX. Move on guys.
different cable and splash tray.

The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
dinamoedm (09-04-22), LStoneX (08-30-22)
Old 08-31-22, 02:29 PM
T24A
Rookie

Originally Posted by 703
No such problem with the NX. Move on guys.
different cable and splash tray.
do you happen to have pictures? I also wonder what set up was used in the previous gen Rav hybrid.
The following users liked this post:
gcskoor (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 07:14 PM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by T24A
do you happen to have pictures? I also wonder what set up was used in the previous gen Rav hybrid.
previous generation HV plug wasn’t upside down. So water cannot collect at the connector. The plug also had a bit more insulation coverage.

Old 09-01-22, 09:08 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I would like to see some pics or a reference of new parts over the 2021 Rav4 also vs part# for the NX. If it one if so certain, I would then to think they could share how it is known or or documentation to show the updated design for the NX.

From what I can see from under the NX, it looks just like the Rav4 2021 hybrid pics. The cable attached upside down with a short curve of the cable going back into the top of the car. It seems to have the same underbody hard plastic covering pan like other Rav4 hybrids also. I am not how new or if this pan has always been there or is part of the 2021 fix.

There may be, of course, some better connector improvements that are hard to see. I did not feel comfortable putting my hand on the back side to feel if it has the same cutout fix for drainage of the new connector. I assume yes, since it is a Japan 6/22 build date.

I drive in Colorado and we tend to not have much rust or corrosion issues, so I am not likely to see the issue as in other areas. I suspect most of the damage was the collection of the road salts been keep in a ionic solution by the lack of drainage. Just having the drainage cutout and the road cover probably reduces this to a manageable level. Not a chemist, but if the road salts are dried there should just be typical atmosphere humidity for a chemical reaction to take place - i.e. very little to almost none in Colorado. And normal rain driving should wash some of it out with the same action that put the road salts on the connector in the first place. I guess look for rain puddle. LOL

Last edited by gcskoor; 09-02-22 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-02-22, 07:32 AM
T24A
Rookie

Originally Posted by gcskoor
I would like to see some pics or a reference of new parts over the 2021 Rav4 also vs part# for the NX. If it one if so certain, I would then to think they could share how it is known or or documentation to show the updated design for the NX.

From what I can see from under the NX, it looks just like the Rav4 2021 hybrid pics. The cable attached upside down with a short curve of the cable going back into the top of the car. It seems to have the same underbody hard plastic covering pan like other Rav4 hybrids also. I am not how new or if this pan has always been there or is part of the 2021 fix.

There may be, of course, some better connector improvements that are hard to see. I did not feel comfortable putting my hand on the back side to feel if it has the same cutout fix for drainage of the new connector. I assume yes, since it is a Japan 6/22 build date.

I drive in Colorado and we tend to not have much rust or corrosion issues, so I am not likely to see the issue as in other areas. I suspect most of the damage was the collection of the road salts been keep in a ionic solution by the lack of drainage. Just having the drainage cutout and the road cover probably reduces this to a manageable level. Not a chemist, but if the road salts are dried there should just be typical atmosphere humidity for a chemical reaction to take place - i.e. very little to almost none in Colorado. And normal rain driving should wash some of it out with the same action that put the road salts on the connector in the first place. I guess look for rain puddle. LOL
The cover should help, I think with anything U shaped, there will be some collection of salt creep, although I'm sure on the NX it will be less exposed. I am sure most will last long enough, I'd have my doubts if they were to last a decade... but a smart owner will keep an eye on it and just trade in before it becomes an issue.
Old 09-03-22, 08:41 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Here's a picture

I don't know what the underside of the RAV4 looks like, but this is what the underside of my NX350h looks like...

You be the judge.

Last edited by LStoneX; 09-03-22 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 02:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LStoneX
I don't know what three underside of the RAV4 looks like, but this is what the underside of my NX350h looks like...

You be the judge.

That looks to me to be the exact same part and cover as is on my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid.

Considering that the RAV4 owners who have experienced the corrosion issue with the cable did not have the issue appear until after their vehicles had been driven through 2 or 3 winters, I would guess that, in a couple of years, it will be likely that there are posts here with the same issue from NXh owners.

Old 09-04-22, 10:06 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

When I was doing some research on this issue, I saw some pics of the new connector with the large cutout on the back side of the connector. It def will drain and not break open by the water freezing in it again. It seems Toyota's engineers think that cutout and with the pan cover is enough. I hope

I did purchase the US Lexus Financial Service VSA for 10 yr/125K. But not sure if it will cover this issue. They seems to claiming a corrosion/maintenance issue as an out not to do the repair. Probably not a deal breaker here in Colorado, but def would have been a stronger potential deal breaker to consider for some areas of North America.

At least the connector does not "fall off" as some other Toyota items have been doing lately and even harder to fix. LOL

Last edited by gcskoor; 09-04-22 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 10:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gcskoor
When I was doing some research on this issue, I saw some pics of the new connector with the large cutout on the back side of the connector. It def will drain and not break open by the water freezing in it again. It seems Toyota's engineers think that cutout and with the pan cover is enough. I hope so.
From doing lots of reading about this issue, it appears that the "cutout" is just the removal of a portion of the original cover, and that is what Toyota is doing with RAV4 Hybrids that are now in production.

But it also appears that this is just a temporary fix and that Toyota is supposedly working on a more permanent fix. Owners of the RAV4 Hybrid with that temporary fix report that it slows the development of the corrosion, but it does not stop it from occurring.

For those who want to spend some/lots of time reading, just about everything that is known about the issue, what Toyota is or is not doing, and what some owners are doing themselves is in a now 83 page long thread on the RAV4 World forums.

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/hi...roblem.318314/

Quick Reply: Will the Rav4 hybrid high voltage corrosion issue affect the NX hybrid models?