NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is 5Q oil jug enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 11:39 PM
andrewl923
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 5Q oil jug enough?

Friend is offering to do my oil change, but say I need to provide the oil and filter. I read that the NX300 holds 5.2q. Is the standard size 5q enough or do I need to buy a extra q?
Old 10-03-22, 07:22 AM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

You need 5.2 quarts.

You need to purchase the extra quart.

Best place to purchase Mobil-1 synthetic oil is at COSTCO!

You can buy a case of 6 individual 1-quart bottles for appx. $32 (on sale now here in the northeast). Regular price is $42.

Let me add something else. It really depends on how thoroughly you remove the old oil. What I do, is I try to remove as much as possible. When I remove my oil filter and drain plug, I will actually let my car sit there for at least 30 minutes (sometimes as long as 2 hours) and let it drip, drip, drip. I do this because I want to remove as much of the old oil as possible. I'm NOT in a rush and I usually simply occupy my time by having lunch or doing something else around my garage/house. When I've used this approach I find that I'm usually getting at least another 4 ounces out.

BUT, if you're the kind of person that does the "Quicky Lube" oil change, and think that it's better to complete the job QUICKLY, then you're probably just putting your oil drain plug back on immediately after the flow, when it just STARTs to drip drip. In that case, you might be able to get away with adding only 5 quarts because you're leaving a few (?) ounces of fluid in the system. Up to you !

Last edited by LexMan2003; 10-03-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-05-22, 05:44 PM
andrewl923
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
You need 5.2 quarts.

You need to purchase the extra quart.

Best place to purchase Mobil-1 synthetic oil is at COSTCO!

You can buy a case of 6 individual 1-quart bottles for appx. $32 (on sale now here in the northeast). Regular price is $42.

Let me add something else. It really depends on how thoroughly you remove the old oil. What I do, is I try to remove as much as possible. When I remove my oil filter and drain plug, I will actually let my car sit there for at least 30 minutes (sometimes as long as 2 hours) and let it drip, drip, drip. I do this because I want to remove as much of the old oil as possible. I'm NOT in a rush and I usually simply occupy my time by having lunch or doing something else around my garage/house. When I've used this approach I find that I'm usually getting at least another 4 ounces out.

BUT, if you're the kind of person that does the "Quicky Lube" oil change, and think that it's better to complete the job QUICKLY, then you're probably just putting your oil drain plug back on immediately after the flow, when it just STARTs to drip drip. In that case, you might be able to get away with adding only 5 quarts because you're leaving a few (?) ounces of fluid in the system. Up to you !
ok good to know about the extra quote. Another question, is it ok to mix brand of oil? Like maybe Kirkland 5q with Mobile1 1q? I know you say to buy in bulk, but I live in the city and I do not have any storage to put the extra oil anywhere.
Old 10-05-22, 06:44 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewl923
ok good to know about the extra quote. Another question, is it ok to mix brand of oil? Like maybe Kirkland 5q with Mobile1 1q? I know you say to buy in bulk, but I live in the city and I do not have any storage to put the extra oil anywhere.
Yes, it is perfectly fine mixing oil from different brands.