Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Where to clean evaporator coil

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 09:36 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to clean evaporator coil

Long story short, mildew mood smell is back and I’m convinced the drain tube is clogged since nothing comes out from that end even when I spray things down the vents.

Im looking for a place that can clean my evaporator coil or AC system in the Bay Area. I wanna avoid the dealership if possible since I never had any good experiences with the one near me.

Any recommendations? (Or if you have a really good deal ship you have a good experience with..?)
Old 10-07-20, 02:22 AM
chicatemi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe we have the same clogged evap drain (and we're also in the Bay Area). Horrible moldy smell from vent and no water ever drains out under car when running A/C. We've also recently had liquid drip onto top of our foot from above the pedal on driver's side. Did you solve your clogged drain tube?
Old 10-22-20, 12:48 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by chicatemi
I believe we have the same clogged evap drain (and we're also in the Bay Area). Horrible moldy smell from vent and no water ever drains out under car when running A/C. We've also recently had liquid drip onto top of our foot from above the pedal on driver's side. Did you solve your clogged drain tube?
If you have a clogged drain tube, you may be able to use a pipe cleaner or flexible tube-brush to unclog it. Or, low-pressure, compressed air might work. Once unclogged, you can buy an aerosol-can, spray-foam product that you inject into your drain tube. The product is liquid until it meets the air, then it foams all up in your evap box, kills all the odor-causing microbs, turns back into a liquid, and then drains back out the drain tube. There is even a Toyota-branded version of this product, although it is likely the same product, with a higher price, found under other brand names! I've used this on several vehicles with great success.

To avoid future problems with odors and clogging, always switch your HVAC to fresh air and switch off the AC about a mile before your destination. This gives the evap box a chance to dry-out between use and prevents microbial growth. Also, when parked, your HVAC is vented to the atmospher when the system is shut-off in the fresh-air mode.