Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Wheel alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 09:48 PM
Lexustrung
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in time, need an alignment going to call these places tomorrow!
Old 02-09-12, 12:11 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Is it this place?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tire-outlet-san-jose
Old 02-09-12, 12:58 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire Outlet has been aligning Slammed Lexus for over 7 years now. I can stop by there any time or day and there's almost always a ClubLexus member having work done there .

Here's the alignment pit that they have, no issues with clearance here.

Note the drop level of my car in this pic. I'm on 20's with 285's in back and 235's in front. No fender pull just Full shave in back and slight roll in front. I have Zero rub FRONT AND REAR including turning the front wheels fully locked and driving one wheel up on wooden blocks with the car up in the air on just the one front wheel. Again ZERO RUB.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-09-12 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 01:07 AM
RMMGS4

Here's my front tire alignment specs.

With the"right" suspension parts provided by Tire Outlet my Toe and Camber are ALL GREEN* and completely within FACTORY spec.

AGAIN note this alignement is with my car slammed as you see it in the photos above.

So here's my challenge. Can ANYONE show me their Alignment specs from their shop where the toe and camber are within OEM spec with the same level of drop I have?

* Note that caster is not in spec, but check with anyone who understands suspension geometry and they will tell you this is not a big concern.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-09-12 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 01:17 AM
RMMGS4

Here's my rear alignment spec with the "right" suspension parts provided by Exact Motorsports and Figs Engineering and work performed by the alignement guru at Tire Outlet

Again my alignment is ALL GREEN within Factory Spec while slammed.

See if your alignment shop can align ALL IN SPEC on a car dropped about as much as mine.

If your shop can do this, then props to them, otherwise go to Tire Outlet Hands Down and Tell Joseph I sent you !!!

Most shops will tell you they CAN'T achieve this alignment if the car is slammed, but with the right aftermarket parts and an expert alignment tech it CAN be done.

I know there ARE other local shops out there that ARE competent, but I'd really like to see some SUBSTANCE in people's recommendations .

It would be great for people to describe WHY they are recommending versus just giving a shout out.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-09-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 01:42 AM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good Glen, props to Tire outlet too, good alignment techs are hard to find now, especially ones that would deal with aftermarket parts and lowered parts
Old 02-09-12, 01:45 AM
RMMGS4

Thanks Mike. No excessive camber wear, no rubbing and no tire flipping for me.

I'm getting 15k miles on these tires EZ

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-09-12 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 12:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Do you have a camber kit?

I have no camber kit with a similar drop as you but my front tires are pretty much bald at 15k. I tried a few shops but they weren't able to fix the my toe or camber because I don't have a camber kit.

How much does Tire outlet charge?
Old 02-09-12, 01:08 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Do you have a camber kit?
Yes a MUST for this application.

I have no camber kit with a similar drop as you but my front tires are pretty much bald at 15k. I tried a few shops but they weren't able to fix the my toe or camber because I don't have a camber kit.
I can only speak for the 2GS. For the 2IS yes alignment is a challenge. There are "other" ways to improve on wear and Tire Outlet will do that. The science of understanding alignment is beyond most people and MANY shops. As an engineer IMO I'd say most alignment techs don't fully understand how to align / compensate the specs for a lowered car. The worst techs just adjust until the machine tells them its green and assume that any value within the green range is adequate. Not the case. In fact to take my specs and duplicate them on another car is not neccessarily going to be the correct setting either.

How much does Tire outlet charge?
Call them - They are reasonable, but some people don't understand that in some cases u get what you pay for.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-09-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 05:27 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Joseph @ Tire Outlet SJ is the best. He is a long time CL member like others said, very experienced with all Lexus models especially 2IS.

And like what Glen said, they charges reasonable, but for the quality of work he performs, thats all that matters
Old 02-09-12, 05:39 PM
avrfc3s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rookieIS
Joseph @ Tire Outlet SJ is the best. He is a long time CL member like others said, very experienced with all Lexus models especially 2IS.

And like what Glen said, they charges reasonable, but for the quality of work he performs, thats all that matters
Does he have experience with MKIV Supras? I would assume it is the same as the SC300/400s. I'm looking to get an alignment very soon.
Old 02-09-12, 06:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yes a MUST for this application.

I can only speak for the 2GS. For the 2IS yes alignment is a challenge. There are "other" ways to improve on wear and Tire Outlet will do that. The science of understanding alignment is beyond most people and MANY shops. As an engineer IMO I'd say most alignment techs don't fully understand how to align / compensate the specs for a lowered car. The worst techs just adjust until the machine tells them its green and assume that any value within the green range is adequate. Not the case. In fact to take my specs and duplicate them on another car is not neccessarily going to be the correct setting either.

Call them - They are reasonable, but some people don't understand that in some cases u get what you pay for.
Would it be pointless to go Tire Outlet without a camber kit? I do not have a camber and will not be buying one. I just want a shop to fix my toe to be within specs. Right now my camber and toe is in the red.

So far the few shops I went to just let the computer try to adjust it to green. And they mostly focus on my camber not my toe.

I will have to shoot Tire Outlet a call tomorrow..
Old 02-09-12, 08:21 PM
RMMGS4

Would it be pointless to go Tire Outlet without a camber kit? I do not have a camber and will not be buying one. I just want a shop to fix my toe to be within specs. Right now my camber and toe is in the red.

So far the few shops I went to just let the computer try to adjust it to green. And they mostly focus on my camber not my toe.

I will have to shoot Tire Outlet a call tomorrow..

Pretty weird that toe cannot be adjusted to be Green but then again I don't know the 2IS that well. Camber may not be adjusted to spec, but again adjusting toe "properly" should help and when toe is Way Off you will chew up tires like crazy. Gone in under 5k miles.

A camber kit would be a solid fix, but in the mean time get the toe to compensate for excessive Camber.
Old 02-09-12, 09:37 PM
melski415
Lead Lap

I live in SF. So driving all tue way to san jo is not gonnahappen. Anyone know of any good shops around SF?
Old 02-09-12, 09:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Pretty weird that toe cannot be adjusted to be Green but then again I don't know the 2IS that well. Camber may not be adjusted to spec, but again adjusting toe "properly" should help and when toe is Way Off you will chew up tires like crazy. Gone in under 5k miles.

A camber kit would be a solid fix, but in the mean time get the toe to compensate for excessive Camber.
The toe probably could be adjusted to 0 but the dealership don't know how to do a proper alignment on lowered car and probably relied on the computer. At the moment I would just like to get the toe within specs. My camber should not affect my tread wear that much since it is still at ~-1.7-2.0.

Originally Posted by melski415
I live in SF. So driving all tue way to san jo is not gonnahappen. Anyone know of any good shops around SF?
+1. I really do not want to drive 1 hour to get my car aligned. It seems like finding a shop that knows how to make the toe close to 0 or near 0 is all it takes to fix the alignment on the 2IS.

I am currently talking to The Shop in San Bruno right now to see if they can fix my issue.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment recommendations