Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Cheap shot this morning =(

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 08:56 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Thanks! Based on that, I'm technically safe! I have a feeling that the cop profiled my car and figured that I can easily afford this ticket because I'm driving a Lexus.

Plus, the cop was probably way behind me (like a block a 2 behind). When I he sounded the siren, I was already near the railroad tracks a block away. It smells very fishy!

Like a said to Glen earlier, there were no cops near the intersection. I was drving up slowly... when I got to cross walk the light was still yellow. I'm very positive that my front tires passed the cross walk and into the intersection when the light hit red.

I really wish they would pass a law that will require ALL motorcycle cops to have cameras installed in the helmet. That way we can reduce corruption.
Old 12-13-10, 10:43 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Seriously. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? The opposite seems to hold true for traffic tickets.
Old 12-13-10, 09:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are all trying to make money off minor stuff to pay for this humongous california debt
Old 12-14-10, 03:44 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

was it the cop on the bike that hangs out across the street form 7-11 in the mornings???
just curious cause i go the same route as you every morning too!!!

imho, do a trial by written declaration
if you loose that, you can still go to court or do traffic school
if you do traffic school, hit me up via pm for more info...
or just email me at hypermkiv at yahoo
Old 12-17-10, 11:00 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

admit nothing, deny everything!! good luck. i remember one time i fought a tix. the officer showed up and lied to the judge. she stated that i had turned off my lights while driving for over 30 seconds....when in reality the lights turned off for a second because my battery was being drained from my amp.
Old 01-05-11, 09:42 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Holy Smokes!!! The notice came in the mail and they're fining me for $486. WTF? The sign posted says "$336 Minimum Fine for Red Light Violation." The city must be really broke to take a cheap shot then slapping the heaviest fine.

Time to go to court for fee reduction. It's total BS where the classify running a yellow light on a right turn as a red light violation...

@HyperMKIV - The notice says no written declaration allowed. I'm pm you when I make the traffic school appointment... after going to court for fee reduction.

@rza8gamma - I would definitely raise big hell if a cop lied to get me fined or arrested. I would ask the judge to penalize the cop perhaps put his sorry *** in jail for lying under oath. A cop is supposed to uphold the law and stand by justice, not the other way around. I would even go to pressing to get him fired. We don't need bad cops in our society.
Old 01-05-11, 11:33 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by shadowman
Holy Smokes!!! The notice came in the mail and they're fining me for $486. WTF? The sign posted says "$336 Minimum Fine for Red Light Violation."
You originally posted a $500 estimate. I think you already expected it wouldn't be $336 even. Do they itemize the add on fee's to get you to $486?

The city must be really broke to take a cheap shot then slapping the heaviest fine.
It should be no surprise to anyone that the State and it's municipalities need to bring in revenue. Again no surprise.

I can see you are quite upset, but please caution on your venting turning this thread in to a cop bashing, where others jump on the bandwagon and throw in their own stories, which have nothing to do with your situation and your officer.

I think you should go to court and state calmly and sincerely to the Judge, what you said in the beginning. That your front tires were over the first crosswalk line and possibly the second line as the light was still yellow. It wouldn’t hurt to state that you are very conscious to make a complete stop before turning right on a red, so you only continued because it just turned yellow and you would of been in the crosswalk by the time you would of stopped. (note your speed, so that you are not suspect of speeding to beat the light)

Don't be confrontational. Any tone or inference in your statement suggesting that you are telling the truth with implications that the officer "must be" lieing is not a favorable position for you.

Again when you were "calmer" in your first post you noted this was a Gray area. If it is reasonable to think that from the distance and position of the officer relative to the crosswalk that he perceived that you ran the light then you need to give the benefit of the doubt and present it to the judge in that manner.

My dad actually got the same exact violation caught on a video camera and he took it to court, insisting that he stopped and it got dismissed. I couldn’t believe it and wish I was there to see how he handled it.

So hope you can settle down and get into the right mind set.

End of the day, win or lose, you will be better off to make a complete stop on yellow and not get into that gray zone. Easier said than done, but it also means you should be entering the corner slow enough to make the stop in time and you can anticipate a yellow, especially if the crosswalk light has been flashing around 7 times.

Let’s knock off the bashing (not just you, but anyone) and make constructive posts that will better your situation.

Good Luck

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-06-11 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 09:08 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Thanks Glen for the tips...

I was in a state of shock, I apologize if I came off rude. But I don't want to turn to cop bashing too that wasn't my intent. I respect the cops for what they do and the life they give to keep us safe.
Old 01-06-11, 10:44 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember "No contest".
Old 01-06-11, 04:26 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Just remember "No contest".
"no contest" is pretty much the same as "I plead guilty".
Old 01-06-11, 04:34 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I know... but at least, I get reduced fine.

It's very tough to fight the cop... especially if he does not have any video of me or the other way around. It's his word against mine.

I can try to fight it. If I fail, then I'm screwed. Based on people's post, I won't be able to reduce the fine nor attend traffic school.

I don't want to take that risk... I believe pleading no contest is the best route since I'm not 100% sure where the cop was. He's not in front for sure... but he might be on the opposite side of the cross traffic. My best guess was he was behind me.
Old 01-06-11, 04:41 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

I know... but at least, I get reduced fine.

It's very tough to fight the cop... especially if he does not have any video of me or the other way around. It's his word against mine.

I can try to fight it. If I fail, then I'm screwed. Based on people's post, I won't be able to reduce the fine nor attend traffic school.

I don't want to take that risk... I believe pleading no contest is the best route since I'm not 100% sure where the cop was. He's not in front for sure... but he might be on the opposite side of the cross traffic. My best guess was he was behind me.

He hides in the corner of the gas station at that intersection. If he hides on the dixon side of that station you can make a case that at that location, the angle would prevent him from seeing the light change at the same time your car crosses the line. If he hid on the warm springs side you argue that the light was yellow as you approached the intersection and you slowed down to a safe speed and proceeded to cross the intersection when the light changed over to red. Go on ticketassassin for a sample letter you could use to file a trial by written declaration for right turn on red violations. At the end of your letter you can state something like, "if you find me guilty, I'd like to ask for a lower fine and / or traffic school".
Old 01-06-11, 08:37 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sucks to hear about your ticket! I hope you at least get the fine reduced. I make that right turn every morning too at the Shell station.
Old 01-06-11, 08:54 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Go straight down Kato road instead which parallels Dixon and make a left at the first light and you can avoid that intersection.
Old 01-06-11, 09:37 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the tip Damage... I'll be doing that from now on... I'll advise my wife to take that route too.

The reason why I avoided it the first place was the pot holes. But I guess pot holes are cheaper than the tickets.

Perhaps I might see you taking that route sometime and post in the Spotted section.

Quick Reply: Cheap shot this morning =(