Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

anyone have a clue how much a 90+ mph ticket goes for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 12:28 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have a clue how much a 90+ mph ticket goes for?

i just gone one and i wanted to know how much it would come ouut.
Old 07-19-07, 03:08 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I'm assuming it was from a CHP cop? Probably $160-240. +/-.......Personally, I would challenge it . & make him have to show up.
If he does youll lose of course..... But if he doesnt, case dismissed
Old 07-19-07, 03:52 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't challenge it. Not anymore. Cops get paid to show up to court now, so most of the time they do. If they don't you just got lucky.. and the judge will be far less lenient with you if you fight it. Also, when you fight the ticket, the judge can add on arbitraty "legal" fees. I paid $1700 for a ticket, and wasted my time driving to LA TWICE. (A good 4 days..)This was for a ticket at 103MPH, which is a different charge, but it gives you the idea of the discrection that a judge has. If he wants to *)@#$ you, he can! That was my first and only ticket ever, and the DMV handbook says the fine for that ticket should not exceed $500. WTF did they charge me $1200 in legal fees?

The only reason I would challenge it is if you have had previous tickets and can't afford the point.. or you are not eligible to go to traffic school. If you are, just take traffic school.

90MPH ticket is still a regular speedign ticekt, and I think you should be eligible for traffic school (not sure though).
Old 07-19-07, 08:33 AM
Ferrealz
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'm in the same boat with you. I just recently got a ticket for speeding also and I just bought my SC300 3 weeks before that happened. Ticket says I was goin 80+ on a 50mph speed limit. I was surprise there was actually a 50mph speed limit...but I guess that happens when u don't pay attention to the speed limit. Right now I'm just waiting for my mail to come in and see when is my court day. =(. Hopefully I can go to traffic skool. I wud rather do that than have my insurance goin up.
Old 07-19-07, 08:38 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

I'll be in KERN Co. (So Cal) the first week of August to find out my fate in court. My summons didnt even have a bail amount on it so I assume it's gonna be bad

I got a 100mph in a 65mph zone.

I feel for you.
Old 07-19-07, 08:57 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slinger
I'll be in KERN Co. (So Cal) the first week of August to find out my fate in court. My summons didnt even have a bail amount on it so I assume it's gonna be bad

I got a 100mph in a 65mph zone.

I feel for you.

I got caught at hwy 5 at Kern county once in my S2000 a couple of years ago. Went to court and since it was my first ticket, I paid $500 and got a point...wasn't eligible for traffic school which I would have definately taken. At that time I lived in LA and I had to drive over 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back.
Old 07-19-07, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

~28x, but that was 5 yrs ago, so now maybe more. it depends, if it's under 95, you are within 30 over. if it's over 95, then it's 30 over so it might be more

just go to the court and plead guilty, your fine will likely be reduced and you go to traffic school
Old 07-19-07, 09:31 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

I am about 4 hours and 45 mins away from the court. Lame

25 over is the limit in Kern Co for traffic school eligibility. Since I was 35 over I can't get traffic school.

I am hoping to plead guilty with an explaination and hope the judge hears me out. *crossin fingers*
Old 07-19-07, 10:43 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slinger
I am about 4 hours and 45 mins away from the court. Lame

25 over is the limit in Kern Co for traffic school eligibility. Since I was 35 over I can't get traffic school.

I am hoping to plead guilty with an explaination and hope the judge hears me out. *crossin fingers*

you win

I just pleaded guilty and without any fuss and the judge was pretty nice.
Old 07-19-07, 10:57 AM
mca311
Driver School Candidate

I was ticketed for going 93 in a 65 zone coming back from tahoe. I believe my ticket was somewhere around 325 bucks.

Like others have said, I don't think you should contest it if you are eligible for driving school. it's not worth driving (for me about 3 hours each way) to appear in court.
Old 07-19-07, 03:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

isnt it right 25mph+ is mandatory court appearance ???
Old 07-19-07, 03:34 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

I got one for 91 mph in early June near Barstow on the way back from Vegas. I just got the stuff in the mail and the fine is $391.
Old 07-19-07, 03:37 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

I was ticketed for going 93 in a 65 zone coming back from tahoe. I believe my ticket was somewhere around 325 bucks.
exactly what happen to me... the officer said i was going up to 93 so he put me down 90 +, and i didn't have my registration but it was on the computer and he gave me a ticket for that too. But my cousin has a cop friend so i can get that signed off. I hope i get traffic school but yeah good luck to you guys too.
Old 07-19-07, 04:42 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

If you're sure you want to contest the ticket, check to see if you can contest by written declaration. As someone before stated, cops get paid to show up in court and sometimes get paid overtime for it. Contesting a ticket by written declaration means the officer must fill out a bunch of paperwork which he does not get paid any more to do. I've done it before and had a moving violation dismissed.

If you are found guilty through the written declaration process, you still have the ability to appeal by showing up in court. So you essentially get two chances to have the case dismissed by the cop not showing up.
Old 07-19-07, 05:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mca311

Like others have said, I don't think you should contest it if you are eligible for driving school. it's not worth driving (for me about 3 hours each way) to appear in court.
ok so it seems like it's raised by around 50 bucks then. i was caught doing 93 in 65 as well, and it came out to be 28x

Quick Reply: anyone have a clue how much a 90+ mph ticket goes for?