Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

T/S/D Rally this Sat night 6/11 in Westchester

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 12:43 PM
TrboMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/S/D Rally this Sat night 6/11 in Westchester

Time Speed Distance (gimmick/trick) NIGHT rally starting in MtKisco NY on Saturday night 6/11 at 7pm.

http://www.wscc.org/flyers/2016BunnyRunFlyer.pdf

Registration from 5pm to 6:30, drivers meeting at 6:30, first car off at 7pm. Novice meeting at 6:15, these are HARD trick rallies. Cars leave in 1 minute intervals from your car number, so first come first start. Should be about 2-4 hours (usually 3ish). You need TWO people (driver and navigator), and $20 per car ($10 each). Recommended: a pen, something to write on on the nav's lap (like a clipboard), a basic calculator (or a nav who likes math), a small light like an LED so the nav can read the instructions and write, and a watch/clock with seconds that you can easily reset to the rallymaster's time. Rally computers, GPS systems, and lights above headlight level not allowed. Trophies for the winners of each class.

What is it? A TimeSpeedDistance (TSD) rally has an "average speed" that you should follow through the rally. Its set BELOW the speed limit. The rally instructions are very tricky and you're looking for stuff at night (ie: make 3rd left after the word "STRINGS", or make second acute right, etc) so you're going to make a few bad turns. After you figure out you're in the wrong place you have to backtrack to the correct turn without getting lost, then speed up to get back to your "average speed" (where you would be if you didnt get lost). There are hidden signs along the course you need to mark down, and hidden checkpoints where you pull over and they record what time you came in. Points are given for every second early or late to each checkpoint, and for each sign missed or put out of order. Lowest points win.

So questions like "is this illegal" or "dude this is awesome I'm gona go 175mph" or "wont we all get arrested" are silly since thats not what the rally is about. Some people do it in minivans with their kids in the backseat helping look for turns. If you make a wrong turn or get lost, its up to you if you choose you catch up slowly and safely and risk hitting a checkpoint and getting lots of points, or if you drive like an *** and risk getting pulled over by a cop or taking risks so you can make up time as quickly as possible and get a better score. There will be mostly twisty hilly backroads where you probably will never see a cop, but they are also public roads and you take any risks on your own. I can guaranty you will enjoy them a lot more in a sports car "taking a few risks" than a minivan full of kids tho. Some people will choose to have a nice ride down some twisty windy backroads in the dark, some people will get way lost and come into checkpoints late and gets lots of points, and some people will choose to drive in a manner to make up time each time they get lost and have a blast down some twicked roads. Its all up to the drivers. The roads are awesome and usually including some dirt and gravel roads, but nothing a lowered car couldn’t handle.
Old 06-07-16, 05:09 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Default I

Originally Posted by TrboMike
Time Speed Distance (gimmick/trick) NIGHT rally starting in MtKisco NY on Saturday night 6/11 at 7pm.

http://www.wscc.org/flyers/2016BunnyRunFlyer.pdf

Registration from 5pm to 6:30, drivers meeting at 6:30, first car off at 7pm. Novice meeting at 6:15, these are HARD trick rallies. Cars leave in 1 minute intervals from your car number, so first come first start. Should be about 2-4 hours (usually 3ish). You need TWO people (driver and navigator), and $20 per car ($10 each). Recommended: a pen, something to write on on the nav's lap (like a clipboard), a basic calculator (or a nav who likes math), a small light like an LED so the nav can read the instructions and write, and a watch/clock with seconds that you can easily reset to the rallymaster's time. Rally computers, GPS systems, and lights above headlight level not allowed. Trophies for the winners of each class.

What is it? A TimeSpeedDistance (TSD) rally has an "average speed" that you should follow through the rally. Its set BELOW the speed limit. The rally instructions are very tricky and you're looking for stuff at night (ie: make 3rd left after the word "STRINGS", or make second acute right, etc) so you're going to make a few bad turns. After you figure out you're in the wrong place you have to backtrack to the correct turn without getting lost, then speed up to get back to your "average speed" (where you would be if you didnt get lost). There are hidden signs along the course you need to mark down, and hidden checkpoints where you pull over and they record what time you came in. Points are given for every second early or late to each checkpoint, and for each sign missed or put out of order. Lowest points win.

So questions like "is this illegal" or "dude this is awesome I'm gona go 175mph" or "wont we all get arrested" are silly since thats not what the rally is about. Some people do it in minivans with their kids in the backseat helping look for turns. If you make a wrong turn or get lost, its up to you if you choose you catch up slowly and safely and risk hitting a checkpoint and getting lots of points, or if you drive like an *** and risk getting pulled over by a cop or taking risks so you can make up time as quickly as possible and get a better score. There will be mostly twisty hilly backroads where you probably will never see a cop, but they are also public roads and you take any risks on your own. I can guaranty you will enjoy them a lot more in a sports car "taking a few risks" than a minivan full of kids tho. Some people will choose to have a nice ride down some twisty windy backroads in the dark, some people will get way lost and come into checkpoints late and gets lots of points, and some people will choose to drive in a manner to make up time each time they get lost and have a blast down some twicked roads. Its all up to the drivers. The roads are awesome and usually including some dirt and gravel roads, but nothing a lowered car couldn’t handle.
Are the rally computers provided via tablet at the registration?
Old 06-07-16, 08:41 AM
TrboMike
Driver School Candidate

I think you misunderstood:

A rally computer is a tablet/laptop/standalone system that allows you to track with GPS and enter average speeds and turns and does all the math for you. While some rallies have special classes for computer equipped teams, this rally does not allow them. You're allowed a GPS map system (most new cars have them anyway) and a calculator.

At the start of the rally, you're handed sheets of paper with the rally instructions. These are the turn by turn instructions and sometimes pictures. Which is why its recommeded the navigator has a clipboard type surface and a pen and some kind of light that wont distract the driver. Most car's built in map lights would reflect on the glass and not make for safe nigh driving on dark sideroads.

If you plan on trying for a good ending score, a calculator is needed to figure out your increase in speed and for what distance (until you slow back down to normal speed) each time you make a wrong turn or pull over or stop or slow for any reason. if you've never done a trick rally before, forget about the math and making good points, just finish the rally. Most of these rallies 1/3 of the cars never make it to the last checkpoint. They get lost, cant figure out what they did wrong, and give up. just try and finish your first rally, them once you get the groove of how they work and how they try and make you get lost, then worry about "perfect speed" and going faster and slower for a good score.
Old 06-07-16, 12:24 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default Gotcha

Originally Posted by TrboMike
I think you misunderstood:

A rally computer is a tablet/laptop/standalone system that allows you to track with GPS and enter average speeds and turns and does all the math for you. While some rallies have special classes for computer equipped teams, this rally does not allow them. You're allowed a GPS map system (most new cars have them anyway) and a calculator.

At the start of the rally, you're handed sheets of paper with the rally instructions. These are the turn by turn instructions and sometimes pictures. Which is why its recommeded the navigator has a clipboard type surface and a pen and some kind of light that wont distract the driver. Most car's built in map lights would reflect on the glass and not make for safe nigh driving on dark sideroads.

If you plan on trying for a good ending score, a calculator is needed to figure out your increase in speed and for what distance (until you slow back down to normal speed) each time you make a wrong turn or pull over or stop or slow for any reason. if you've never done a trick rally before, forget about the math and making good points, just finish the rally. Most of these rallies 1/3 of the cars never make it to the last checkpoint. They get lost, cant figure out what they did wrong, and give up. just try and finish your first rally, them once you get the groove of how they work and how they try and make you get lost, then worry about "perfect speed" and going faster and slower for a good score.
Didn't know if I had to provide my own tablet. I have GPS but I know that the checkpoints for the rally may not be marked on my GPS, therefore, a tablet.
Old 06-07-16, 01:03 PM
TrboMike
Driver School Candidate

You dont need GPS, in fact it makes the rally harder. You're looking for things on the road, and looking at the GPS fools you and you make a wrong turn. So many times you see a "dead end" on your GPS coming up, but when you get there there is no "dead end" sign so for the purpose of the rally its a valid road.

Not sure what you need a tablet for. The checkpoints are unknown. The point of the rally is to maintain an average speed on a set course and hit the checkpoints at the correct time. You dont know where the checkpoints are. You are handed sheets of paper with the course directions and you try to stay on course at the set speeds as much as you can because a checkpoint could be anywhere along that course.

So no use for a tablet.
Old 06-07-16, 01:39 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Pardon me for being slow, lol. Sounds really challenging. A bad partner could screw u up, lol.
Old 06-07-16, 01:56 PM
TrboMike
Driver School Candidate

I hate to say it because I always drive, but you want the smart guy navigating. lol

Its worth trying to see if you like it. If you get hooked you'll want to do more. But if you do poorly and wind up giving up and going home, you wont be happy.

I never got to the end of the first three I did, but I kept coming back. Soooo much fun.