North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Anyone in DFW enjoy doing GS300 door lock actuators?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 07:20 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quad7
If you guys haven't done it yet I would like to join the party as well. I think all 4 of mine are out. I got the motors and the gear puller.
Cool, we haven't done it yet... Which weekend works best for everyone? I'll be available any weekend since I really need it done, but the last 2 weekends of June work best for me.
Old 06-10-13, 06:03 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Any weekend works for me as well.
Old 06-11-13, 07:44 AM
bdhtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Actuator Replacement

I am also in need of this. Buying a '99 that needs all 4.

Is the consensus that doing the motors is the way to go, or pony up for the whole unit?

I am located in Colleyville and have a good place to work.
Old 06-12-13, 07:16 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Originally Posted by bdhtx
I am also in need of this. Buying a '99 that needs all 4.

Is the consensus that doing the motors is the way to go, or pony up for the whole unit?

I am located in Colleyville and have a good place to work.
Since we plan on doing it together, I'd say doing the motors only is the way to go. The rest of the part doesn't seem to fail so theres no reason to replace the full actuator.

How much space do you have? If there would be enough parking for 5 cars, maybe we can go ahead and set a date of June 22 at your place unless somebody else has a recomendation for the location... Does JUNE 22, 2013 work for everyone?
Who all is in?
Old 06-12-13, 07:45 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I've only needed to replace one so far, and the light switch wasn't working as well as the actuator. Call me lazy, but I just replaced the whole unit. Time saved was worth it the money for me, but maybe you guys will have me eating crow, after seeing how you replace the motors.

22nd sounds good to me, but I'll probably have to bail midafternoon to pickup my wife from the airport. Parker, I'll bring the motors with me.
Old 06-16-13, 01:25 AM
quad7
Driver School Candidate

I was bored and went ahead and did mine. The hardest part and most time consuming was getting the housing open without cracking it since they tend to get brittle over time. There is no need to take the windows out or anything else besides the front handles and the window track support brace. I may be able to make it on the 22nd not positive yet though. If someone has a vice it would make getting the house cracked open a lot easier.
Old 06-19-13, 07:51 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

I was bored and went ahead and did mine. The hardest part and most time consuming was getting the housing open without cracking it since they tend to get brittle over time. There is no need to take the windows out or anything else besides the front handles and the window track support brace. I may be able to make it on the 22nd not positive yet though. If someone has a vice it would make getting the house cracked open a lot easier.

Thanks for the info!
So who all is still available for this weekend?
Old 06-19-13, 08:11 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could you guys show me a link to where to get the little motors, ive got two defective ones and im in the dallas area as well.
Old 06-19-13, 08:37 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Where and what time??
Old 06-21-13, 08:54 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep the window and door handle inside the door. Removing the glass and handle will just increase the job time significantly. You can reach up inside there to undo the clips, and grab the actuator unit out. I can pull the unit out including the door panel in about 5-10 minutes lol. Practice makes perfect
Old 06-22-13, 09:14 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Originally Posted by Blanco
Where and what time??
Never heard back from BDHTX on where in Colleyville.. Can we move this to next Saturday plz? Just heard last night that one of my uncles was found in a parking lot having a possible heart attack and is in the hospital so i'm headed there now and will probably be there for a while.

Also, if anyone else has a definite location we can all meet up next Saturday, please post up.
Enough space for 3 to possibly 5 cars.

If Jeff can do each car in 40 mins, maybe we should pay him to make a special appearance
Old 06-22-13, 09:20 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Drive to SoCal I'll do it for free lol did mine in 45 minutes (swapping motors)

Keep in mind that the motor is a PITA to swap out. They basically super glued the lid together. It's definitely worth it tho I paid like 4 bucks for two new motors from eBay
Old 06-24-13, 05:04 AM
bdhtx
Driver School Candidate

Default Lock Actuators

Morning all. Apologies for not replying. I did not see the replies.

I did three of mine this weekend. As several have said, the hardest part is cracking the cases. I did my rear driver door first, and once I figured out how to get the actuator out, thanks to another post, it was easy. Did passenger rear door in under 30 minutes. Passenger door happens tonight.

Thanks to the others for the hints on leaving the window in the front doors. Saves several steps.

If anyone has questions or wants to chat, contact me. Glad to help.
Old 07-01-13, 08:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, pulling the actuator out by "feel" is much quicker. I saw some of the DIY guides posted involve pulling the window and door handle out. This allows you to see what you're doing, but it makes the whole process super time consuming. Do it by feel, just stick your hand up in there and undo the few bolts and clips holding everything in. If you pull the window out, you may have to re-align the track upon installation and that will further add to the work time. So I'm did it mostly by feel, that's why I said practice makes perfect

As bdhtx said, the time consuming part is cracking the cases open and rebuilding the actuator itself. That part takes me about 20-30 min a piece just due to the fact that you have to split the casing open, and then you have to wait another 10-15 min for the epoxy to dry and cure.
Old 07-01-13, 08:41 AM
BigWalt
Driver

Which motors did you order?

Quick Reply: Anyone in DFW enjoy doing GS300 door lock actuators?