I would like to introduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 11:21 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to introduce myself

Hello,
Last year I picked up my first car, an obsidian 2008 IS350. I was super excited and I started looking for mods and for cool features of the car eg. list of all voice commands, how to remove the back seat(more in that later), etc. What I stumbled upon was the amazing CL. I promptly joined but really until now, have just watched from the sidelines and PMed members. I would like to become a member of NELOC so I can meet up with other members in the area. So here is a little about me...

My name is Matthew and I work as an Electrical Engineer. As an EE I have had an immense fascination in reverse engineering the LOADING.KWI files on the Nav DVD's and the AVC-LAN bus for the nav system. I know VIAS already solved the AVL-LAN bus and has great solutions for aftermarket ipob/usb/HDD integration, but I still would like to create something myself and open sourcing it.

After getting my car in Jan 2011 I researched everything there was to know about detailing and as of now have quite a collection of tools and products. I wanted to know the proper way to wash, wax, take care of leather and maintain the car. I have gone to great lengths to baby the exterior and interior of the car as much as possible. I would like to share you a quick story, one that has happened to other members as well, maybe it will help you get to know me just a little better.

In July 2011, I got a scare when I came outside and saw all of my windows and sun roof open. That great "feature" of holding the unlock button activated while the Fob was in my pocket, luckly there was no rain that night so all was well. I should have learned then to not keep the fob in my pocket but I didn't . In September I walked out from work and the same thing happened again! This time I was not so lucky. It had rained and the interior was soaked. I tried to dry everything off as best as I could. I used a whole roll of paper towels and a couple of beach towels. I had a meeting at work so I had to get and the wet car and drive to work. On the way the rain let up and I tried to air out some of the car. A mile from work it started to rain but the windows would not go back up! I also started to get AFS warnings. Luckiliy my work has a garage so it was safe for now out of the rain. I did some more drying and went into the building.

At lunch time I came out to check out on my it and the car would not let me in. When I used the key override the alarm went off. I was afraid it was done. Two hours later I went back to confirm she was dead but was surprised when it lit up next to me She was alive! The rain that day was so bad it took an extra 2 hours to get home. (I have some videos of me driving home I may post to youtube) I used box fans, damprid and the sun for the next three days to dry her all out. I even took out the back seat and disassembled the center console to get it dry quick.

So far no issues have sprung up and there is no mold. I think the black carpets with their rubber backing blocked basically all rain from getting into the carpet. Long story short I take my key of my pocket and place it in a koozie as soon as I am home.

This is just a little story to break the ice, I am looking forward to the NoVa meets.

-Matthew
Attached Thumbnails I would like to introduce myself-img_20120107_155857.jpg   I would like to introduce myself-imag0050.jpg  
Old 02-24-12, 11:48 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

man looks like you went through a lot with the car already lol glad everything is still okay though, any future mods you plan to do to the car? and Welcome to NELOC !
Old 02-24-12, 12:28 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS2FIFTY
man looks like you went through a lot with the car already lol glad everything is still okay though, any future mods you plan to do to the car? and Welcome to NELOC !
Actually the same week that all that madness happened I got my F-sport sways and F-sport intake in. While my car was drying out I had it up on ramps putting in the sways. I gotta say after I had put in the intake and sways I knew that that would not be the end of it!

I am toying with the idea of the F-sport exhaust but don't want an annoying drone. Hopefully someone at a meet will have it and I can see if it is bad or not. If I get the exhaust I know the gfx kit will be next followed by a nice set of wheels. The next sure mod will be red outs and maybe the roof spoiler. I would also like HID fogs and possibly visors.

I see you already have the spoiler, fogs, and visors. Nice!

Last edited by m4gicm4tt; 02-24-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 12:33 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
Actually the same week that all that madness happened I got my F-sport sways and F-sport intake in. While my car was drying out I had it up on ramps putting in the sways. I gotta say after I had put in the intake and sways I knew that that would not be the end of it!

I am toying with the idea of the F-sport exhaust but don't want an annoying drone. Hopefully someone at a meet will have it and I can see if it is bad or not. If I get the exhaust I know the gfx kit will be next followed by a nice set of wheels. The next sure mod will be red outs and maybe the roof spoiler.
good start ! you should definitely add either springs or coilovers to the list of mods
Old 02-25-12, 07:35 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Welcome to the club!
Old 02-25-12, 11:55 PM
CestRocks
Rookie

WHATS UP DUDE ! id freak out if that happened to me bro thats nuts !! you kept your cool i don't know what I've would have done lol
Old 02-28-12, 09:06 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome! interesting story u have there.
Old 02-29-12, 04:34 AM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome!!!!!
Old 02-29-12, 05:38 AM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the club
Old 03-03-12, 10:14 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome to the group!!
Old 03-08-12, 10:39 AM
Blacksweat
Driver School Candidate

get HID headlight / fog... change to all LED in the interior prob the best and cheapest mods
Old 03-08-12, 11:17 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blacksweat
get HID headlight / fog... change to all LED in the interior prob the best and cheapest mods
Last week I put in 5K interior LED's and my putco fogs just came in the mail yesterday. I am still waiting on my puddle LED's and my 6000k HID lows. Cheapest mod was $9 redout's I love the look of the tail lights now!
Old 03-08-12, 11:21 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by CestRocks
WHATS UP DUDE ! id freak out if that happened to me bro thats nuts !! you kept your cool i don't know what I've would have done lol
I did freak out! I just had determination that I needed to get her as dry as possible in the quickest amount of time. I actually am amazed that it all worked out
Old 03-08-12, 11:48 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that had happened to me once to but it was snowing luckly one of the guys that worked with me saw that my windows were open and called me up to tell me at first I thought he was just screwing around with me, but luckily I looked out the window and saw that my sunroof was half way open ran out and closed it up, nice feature but gotta be very careful lol, also I noticed having the key fob in my pockey, if I have my iphone in the same pocket in front of the fob it blocks the transmittion of the fob to the car