Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Good Independent shop vs Lexus dealership for major repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 04:19 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Good Independent shop vs Lexus dealership for major repair

If price difference was negligible or non existent, which would you pick and why?
Both would use OE parts, provide same 12 month warranty and both are equipped with proper computerized equipment.
Toyota dealership is not a contender in this situation.

Thank you for your wisdom.
Old 04-01-19, 05:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
If price difference was negligible or non existent, which would you pick and why?
Both would use OE parts, provide same 12 month warranty and both are equipped with proper computerized equipment.
Toyota dealership is not a contender in this situation.

Thank you for your wisdom.
Independent specialty shop could cost less.
Old 04-01-19, 05:22 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

like I said
Price is the same
Old 04-01-19, 06:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
like I said
Price is the same
Sorry I missed it. Typically independent shop's labor rate is little less than that of dealerships.
One of son's BMW is out of factory warranty so he started using independent shop for any needed
service. The owner of the shop is native German who has worked on BMW vehicles LONG time.
Their service quality is equal of better than local BMW dealership. Our other cars are still within
factory warranty but when it expires we are planning to switch to independent shop
Old 04-01-19, 07:50 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

That's a pretty silly question if you ask me. Why wouldn't you use a dealership that works on them every day vs an independent shop that might work on 4-5 different models all year, not to mention the dealer techs who are trained specifically to work on all of them. If price was not in the equation you would have to be stupid not to use a dealership. But since cost IS a major variable, I will always use a quality independent shop over a dealership every time. Any independent shop that is charging the same rates as dealerships won't be in business very long.
The following 2 users liked this post by tghw:
chas410 (12-29-23), DocEnuf (12-21-23)
Old 09-14-23, 10:08 PM
jct23
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

My prior car was a 2012 Mercedes CLS 550 4matic, 4.7L twin turbo V8 with 402 HP @ 5,000 rpm and 443 lb-ft torque @ 1,800 rpm it would really move. I was looking at the Genesis G80 but there are none to be found as the 2024's are all in transit. Also looking at CPO Lexus LS or GS but those were short supply as well but I saw my IS 500 in dealer inventory so I found this forum and spent a lot of time reading and watching the reviews. Finally decided that since they are not going to be making the V8 much longer that I would get one last beast of a car and was very happy that it is naturally aspirated as it will last forever with simple maintenance.
Old 09-25-23, 02:49 AM
Funkdawg
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If price, parts and warranty are the same, I guess it would come down to quality of work, customer service and proximity to home or work.
Old 09-25-23, 02:40 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkdawg
If price, parts and warranty are the same, I guess it would come down to quality of work, customer service and proximity to home or work.
You might as well say, when pigs fly, because that's when that's going to happen.
Old 12-21-23, 04:09 PM
DocEnuf
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No contest, if price and parts same, The dealership. They have the most up to date training, they have access to all service information bulletins and recalls. see only Lexus models and can often perform work for free if there is a service action update from the manufacture.
The only reason not to go to dealership would be IF they had a history of poor leadership and workmanship. If the service team is lead by poor management, their performance and quality of work will suffer.
Most techs love working on cars, not just for the money.