Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

New Certified 2016 Lexus GX 460 Owner- Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 11:11 AM
sshobbs820
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Certified 2016 Lexus GX 460 Owner- Tires

Hello there and thank you in advance for your help/guidance. I just purchased a new to me, 2016 Lexus GX 460 about a week ago. It has about 28k miles on it and I purchased it from a local Lexus dealer as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle. My first question is, what is the groups understanding of "Certified Pre-Owned Lexus? Does it vary dealership to dealership? I recall being told by 2 local dealerships that the Certified vehicles from a Lexus dealer were typically 5-10% more, then if you found it another dealership with less miles, b/c they automatically invest in NEW tires and brake pads for the vehicle, as well as the additional benefit of extending that bumper to bumper warranty through Lexus. So that's my first question...is it your understanding that all Certified Lexus Vehicles (from Legit Lexus dealers) require new tires and break pads? Secondly, I got a flat/nail in my tire on the way to my dealership yesterday to have some work done. They did help me change the flat, but they are saying they don't know if they are going to pay for my tire. Previously I owned a non-certified Lexus for 5 years, and remember them "selling" me on having my tires replaced through Lexus Dealerships b/c of the 24 month roadside hazard warranty (i.e. if you get a nail in your tire, they will automatically give you a new tire, no questions asked). Between this 100% coverage and having access to a loaner vehicle, I always replaced them there. I've confirmed that this dealership (different one from where I had been servicing) offers that same roadside hazard coverage for 24 months, the service rep I spoke to set that if the certified vehicle has new tires on it...then that same coverage should come into play, and I'm about 99.9% sure that they did put new tires on this vehicle...just by looking at them. So why is the sales manager I worked with giving me the runaround? It's taking her forever to get back to me definitively if my tire is covered or not. She said she's relatively new, but I placed a quick call to the service dept. and it seemed pretty straightforward. Would like the group's opinion on if I should expect them to replace the tire, or if it's my responsibility? The only additional coverage we selected at the dealership last week was the "appearance package" covering paint, interior fabric protection, leather, vinyl etc. I don't remember him mentioning anything about having additional tire coverage and assumed that since it had new tires on it, the standard 24-month warranty would cover us.
Old 08-31-18, 04:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think you maybe talking about the wheel and tire protection package???

Originally Posted by sshobbs820
Hello there and thank you in advance for your help/guidance. I just purchased a new to me, 2016 Lexus GX 460 about a week ago. It has about 28k miles on it and I purchased it from a local Lexus dealer as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle. My first question is, what is the groups understanding of "Certified Pre-Owned Lexus? Does it vary dealership to dealership? I recall being told by 2 local dealerships that the Certified vehicles from a Lexus dealer were typically 5-10% more, then if you found it another dealership with less miles, b/c they automatically invest in NEW tires and brake pads for the vehicle, as well as the additional benefit of extending that bumper to bumper warranty through Lexus. So that's my first question...is it your understanding that all Certified Lexus Vehicles (from Legit Lexus dealers) require new tires and break pads? Secondly, I got a flat/nail in my tire on the way to my dealership yesterday to have some work done. They did help me change the flat, but they are saying they don't know if they are going to pay for my tire. Previously I owned a non-certified Lexus for 5 years, and remember them "selling" me on having my tires replaced through Lexus Dealerships b/c of the 24 month roadside hazard warranty (i.e. if you get a nail in your tire, they will automatically give you a new tire, no questions asked). Between this 100% coverage and having access to a loaner vehicle, I always replaced them there. I've confirmed that this dealership (different one from where I had been servicing) offers that same roadside hazard coverage for 24 months, the service rep I spoke to set that if the certified vehicle has new tires on it...then that same coverage should come into play, and I'm about 99.9% sure that they did put new tires on this vehicle...just by looking at them. So why is the sales manager I worked with giving me the runaround? It's taking her forever to get back to me definitively if my tire is covered or not. She said she's relatively new, but I placed a quick call to the service dept. and it seemed pretty straightforward. Would like the group's opinion on if I should expect them to replace the tire, or if it's my responsibility? The only additional coverage we selected at the dealership last week was the "appearance package" covering paint, interior fabric protection, leather, vinyl etc. I don't remember him mentioning anything about having additional tire coverage and assumed that since it had new tires on it, the standard 24-month warranty would cover us.