Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why does my gs300 die

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 06:05 PM
Sadiem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my gs300 die

So my car is a 2004 and it keeps dying after a hour I had all circuits checked and nothing I changed the battery and even bought a gel battery so decided to get my alternator checked and it's works good OK so idk what it could be so this is what it does I've been disconnecting the battery if I stay somewhere for more than a hour so it don't die so every time I connect it it works amazing then after 10 mins the throttle goes out and the transmission starts acting up like you know jerks then I discount it and it starts all over again let me know if you had this problem thanks in advance
Old 03-08-17, 06:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Not clear on your description. You say it dies after an hour, then you say it acts up after 10 minutes. However, then you state that if you go somewhere where you stay over an hour and (is this correct) park the car, that you have to disconnect the battery. What does disconnecting the battery when stopped and shut off have to do with it dying while driving? Does it not want to start if you leave it connected?

You may want to explain your issue more clearly and try the model specific forum as I think it gets more traffic. Also what year and how many miles are on it? Year is important to know which generation it is as they have different issues and separate sub forums.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-models-4/

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-08-17 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 11:10 AM
Sadiem
Driver School Candidate

OK sorry for the confusion so if I leave my battery connected while it's off the battery drains after a hour so what I have been doing is disconnecting it if I stay somewhere for more than a hour now Everytime I reconnect the battery for the first 10 mins it drive smooth then the check engine light goes on and then the throttle body goes out and then the transmission starts jerking I've had the alternator checked it's good and I've had all the circuits checked so if that makes more sense
Old 03-08-17, 11:10 AM
Sadiem
Driver School Candidate

And sorry it's a 2004 and it has 230k miles
Old 03-08-17, 11:19 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiem
OK sorry for the confusion so if I leave my battery connected while it's off the battery drains after a hour so what I have been doing is disconnecting it if I stay somewhere for more than a hour now Everytime I reconnect the battery for the first 10 mins it drive smooth then the check engine light goes on and then the throttle body goes out and then the transmission starts jerking I've had the alternator checked it's good and I've had all the circuits checked so if that makes more sense
Checked charging system? Measured voltage on the battery terminal; charging voltage and static voltage. Checked to see if there something is draining your battery?
Trouble-shooting is a logical process of elimination. Disconnecting/reconnecting battery would be a hassle. Until problem is resolved you can install switch on the battery.
You can flip the switch to disconnect and vice versa. RV shop sells them.
Old 03-09-17, 07:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

I think you need a great independent shop to perform some diagnostic work. I would try to find one from the Car Talk web page (home of Click and Clack (aka Tom and Ray) of the NPR radio show where you call in your car repair issues) http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files/search?city=&state=OR&keyword=&field_makes_tid=All&radius%5Bsearch_units%5D=mile&radius%5Bpostal_code%5D=&radius%5Bsearch_distance%5D=10&sort_order=ASC