Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

recharging a/c

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 11:29 AM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recharging a/c

Both Lexus and another mechanic have told me I have a in my a/c. Both said it would cost about $1200.00 to fix. Now it only needs recharging about every three months ( and I live in S.W Florida where you never shut it off) so I went to Discount Auto and got a can of 134a and a quick connect hose for the low side. I also got a can of Interdynamics R-134a Stop Leak and Detector, it says it pinpoints leaks and stops them in seconds.

Now it all sounds good but has anyone actually tried it or have any suggestions ?

Also, approximately where is the low connect that I tap into ?

Look forward to your help.

johnw.
Old 05-14-03, 01:30 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can tell you exactly in a couple of weeks. Even take a pic if it is possible to get there easily. I just replaced my AC system and see my mechanic in a coupe of weeks so he can show me where.
Old 05-14-03, 08:58 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and put in the stop leak without a hitch but now I hear a squealing noise from the fan belt. Since I didn't spill anything and the low fill hose is in back of the engine I don't understand why it's doing it. All I can think of is maybe I had a pin hole leak in an a/c componnent next to the fan belt and it sprayed out as it sealed.

My question is this; Can I use a type of belt dreesing spray on the belt or does Lexus not reccommend it?

johnw.
Old 05-23-03, 04:03 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the leak... is it at the compressor? or near the pulley? If the compressor is about to lock up or the bearings in the pulley are going back it could be leaking there and that could cause the squeal.

Belt dressing should be okay... but unnecessary since there is constant tension on the belt from the drive belt tensioner. The squealing noise is indicating bad bearings in one of your components.
Old 05-23-03, 07:52 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

I was told the leak is coming from the component under the dash which is why they want 1200.00. The squeak has stopped and so far it seems to be holding, I do have a question though: I used a single hose and filled the low side of the a/c, but I noticed in the auto parts store they had a more expensive unit for filling that monitored both the high and the low like the mechanics use.
Does this help you fill it more completely ?.
The parts guy said I didn't need it but if thats the case, why do auto shops use them ?

johnw.
Old 05-30-03, 08:39 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

You don't need it. It allows you to monitor the high pressure side...useful for home A/C units. Just don't overfill the sysem or it will discharge excess freon. It could also damage the compressor.

I doubt the leak will seal with the additive but you never know. Check the belt tension again to make sure it is tight and not slipping. The noise may be from belt slippage. Your A/C compressor may not have been cycling on before because of low pressure in the system. Now that it is cycling, the belt may be too slack and slipping.