Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Broken Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 08:01 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The botls for me were really obvious to see. I assume are setups are different. Mine has a white plastic outside frame that it pops out of as well.

One of the 14mm is at the part where it connects to the seat. The other 14mm is at the bottom of the entire seatbelt contraption, and the 10mm was at the top part of the contraption. Once you undo the belt from the seat you feed it through the slit in the doorjam piece and you can remove it all.

Note there is a spring/screw like thing that needs to be locked before you remove the belt, otherwise the entire belt will get sucked up, and once it goes past a certain point it will never release again. Also be careful, there's a gas cartridge that sticks out of the bottom, it's designed to lock the belts in the event of an accident. Don't bang it too hard when removing it.

What year you got?

I'll be happy to take pictures tomorrow if you still can't figure it out.

I'm a 95 (driver side)
Old 04-20-03, 10:20 AM
350z
Driver

i have a 93 and it looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Seatbelts-p4200001.jpg  
Old 04-20-03, 10:45 AM
350z
Driver

Default I just about have it.

ok i got the 10mm at the top and the 14mm at the bottom. i can't seem to figure out how to disconnect these wires to remove the assembly. oh and mine is the passangers belt.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Seatbelts-p4200002.jpg  
Old 04-20-03, 10:52 AM
350z
Driver

allright. i found the other 14mm bolt attached to the seat just like you said. I didn't think you would have to remove this part to get the assembly out. it looks like those wires go under the seat and link into the other end of the belt. i will give it a shot and see what i can do.
Old 04-20-03, 10:01 PM
BrianV
Driver

On mine there is one wire plugged in via a plastic connector. My connector had a tab that when depressed it snapped right out. I assume my replacement part will thave the female connector so I can pop it right back in.

On mine it is a must to remove it from the seat, that's the only way you can feed it through the slit on the door jam to completely remove the part. Not to mention when you replace the part it comes with all parts including the belt. Thus, to install you need to attach the new belt to that part.

You'll see once you get the part removed that no parts in it can really be removed. You're stuck replacing the entire unit.

The above pictures seem quite similar to my setup if not exactly the same.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-03, 10:03 PM
BrianV
Driver

Actually looking at his picture he just removed the 10mm and pulled the piece out. You'll need to pull relatively hard to get it to snap out. I actually removed the 14mm that holds that outside plastic shell out and then removed the inside plastic piece that includes the belt assembly.

Thus, you should be able to remove the unit by removing the 10mm and the 14mm on the seat. You will probably have to pull the tensioner assembly out with some decent force though. The additional 14mm which is on the bottom of the door jam may make things easier.
Old 04-21-03, 08:10 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me check tonight to make sure I tell you correctly what to do.
Old 04-21-03, 10:36 AM
chliansh
Rookie

This has been a problem with all of Toyotas I have owned. 4Runner, celica, landcruiser ect. On the landcruise board I visit one guys auto signature is "seatbelt hangin out the door" Its a know defect I am suprised has not been resolved.
Old 04-21-03, 11:09 AM
BrianV
Driver

Is it a mechanical issue with the tensioner or is it electrical from the buckle holder to the tensioner?

I'm replacing my entire belt/tensioner and I hope to the higher ups that it fixes my problem.
Old 04-21-03, 02:49 PM
350z
Driver

Brian:

Is the clip that you mention the one that is alongside the seat. I see a clip but it is very diffivult to get to it because it runs alongside (nearly underneath) the seat. Also, let us know how the install goes and what parts you received.
Old 04-22-03, 05:34 PM
BrianV
Driver

The install is done. It was as straight forward as the removal. It does come with the outer plastic shell. It took three bolts to put everything back (plus the plastic plugins). The new belt fixed my problem 100%.

Unfortunately, I got the wrong color. I told them I had a grey interior, he said bluish grey, I said that sounds right. Well now that it's in there I see I needed a greenish grey.
Old 04-22-03, 07:16 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are covered under warranty. For how long I am not sure but on my 99 ES the drivers belt would not retract and I told my dealership and he ordered a new one and installed free of charge.
Old 04-22-03, 08:22 PM
BrianV
Driver

Doubt they'd do it on an 8 year old car, although I wish they would.
Old 04-25-03, 01:03 PM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Smile 94 LS400 Front Passenger Seat Belt Will Not Retract

Hello There,

I am a new member. This is the first time that I am posting a message. If I make a mistake, please "forgive" me.

Just like to mention that my 94 LS400 has a Front Passenger seat belt that will not easily retract. It is a real safety issue and I am very surprised that Lexus cannot produce better quality seat belts!!! I am following this thread very closely.

Lam on 4/25/03
Old 04-29-03, 03:13 PM
350z
Driver

Does anyone know where the black and yellow wires coming out of the canister connect to (see above pic) ? This project has become a nightmare.

Quick Reply: Broken Seatbelts