Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 10:17 PM
gjnegrete
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KYB struts shipped from Strutmasters.

Originally Posted by Barberlife
the struts were KYB from strutmasters?
Yes. In these photos the diamond shaped logo from KYB is covered by the Strutmasters Sticker. You can see in a second photo "made in Japan", which is where the KYB struts are made.

Of course, the KYB is the strut only. The Spring and Strut Mount are from unknown origins.

I spoke with a Strutmasters sales person prior to ordering the assembled struts. They said the struts can be either KYB, Monroe, Bilstein, or another quality brand. I ended up receiving KYB.

See diamond logo under Strutmasters sticker.

See "Made in Japan" on sticker.
The following users liked this post:
Barberlife (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 05:43 AM
Barberlife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnegrete
Yes. In these photos the diamond shaped logo from KYB is covered by the Strutmasters Sticker. You can see in a second photo "made in Japan", which is where the KYB struts are made.

Of course, the KYB is the strut only. The Spring and Strut Mount are from unknown origins.

I spoke with a Strutmasters sales person prior to ordering the assembled struts. They said the struts can be either KYB, Monroe, Bilstein, or another quality brand. I ended up receiving KYB.

See diamond logo under Strutmasters sticker.

See "Made in Japan" on sticker.
Cool! Hopefully I get the KYB also.
Ive watched a view videos from strutmasters. On the videos it looked like they were using Eibach springs.

I’m not to far from NC where strutmasters is located. I’m actually going to a shop owned by them (Strut Daddy’s) to have them install the kit.

How is the ride since your install?
Old 02-18-20, 08:24 AM
gjnegrete
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride Height and Quality Immediately after install

The Ride quality is difficult for me to compare to air ride. I rarely switch the air ride from normal to sport or comfortable. I would use Height High to make sure I cleared all rails at the car wash and if I drove the car onto my home ramps to look under the car.

If I was to guess, I would say the ride quality(feel) is somewhere between normal to sport(stiff).

I measured the top of each wheel well from the ground up, using the center of the wheel as my centerline.
Front= 28.75"
Rear= 29"

I will measure again after 1,000 miles. I also plan to loosen the control arm nuts and bolts at that time to allow the bushings to relax and be tightened at new ride height. Everything I read on aftermarket control arms says the bushing fail after 3,000 miles. I believe the main reason is the control arm bolts are tightened with the car raised, and control arms all the way down. Then, the wheels are put on, car lowered with rubber bushing immediately being twisted. I have 6,000 miles on my MEvotech lower control arms(all four), and no problem. I put control arms at normal ride height before tightening all bolts connected to control arms.

Now, with the new struts, and a potential "setteling down" I will loosen, and re-tightened all bolts again. Just as a precaution.

Old 11-16-20, 07:24 PM
sypherjak
Rookie

Just saw this thread. How has the car been since you replaced the Air-Ride suspension ?
Old 11-20-20, 10:37 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking for an LS with the Lux package and found a 2009 locally that was converted.
1st- Its air ride dash light stays on constantly so how do we make the dash light go off and stay off on the LS cars?
2nd- While reading online I read the Lexus SUV's lights stays off vs the LS light will stay on when things are simply unplugged so what makes these act in the opposite manor?
Thanks.
Old 12-20-20, 08:22 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Just saw your post, I just bought an 08 ls460l with executive seating only 80K miles from east coast and the shocks are DONE!

Where in Cali do you live? I live by Fresno...

How are the shocks? how do they feel? Would love any help to upgrade these if you can tell me any experience could help.

I also have a 2010 ls460 base non air and it drives super smooth compared to air suspension.

Thanks for your help...
Derreck
The following users liked this post:
fahs (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 07:32 AM
fahs
Driver School Candidate

Default Strutmasters

Hey, I see it’s been almost 5 years since you did this conversion, I’m getting it done today on my all wheel drive model, how did it end up going? Do you still have the car and are the struts still alright? If sold were they working good before selling them.
Old 01-19-22, 07:34 AM
fahs
Driver School Candidate

Default Strutmasters

Hey, I see it’s been almost 8 years since you did this conversion, I’m getting it done today on my all wheel drive model, how did it end up going? Do you still have the car and are the struts still alright? If sold were they working good before selling them.
Old 10-21-22, 03:23 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I will throw my 2 cents in....

After all the headaches and begging people on here on different thread to help me with my '08 460L air suspension and everyone telling me just to convert it, I started looking around on Ebay for parts. I came across a set of OEM used struts loaded already with springs for $450 negotiated it to $350 with shipping. I figured since with my other LS which has 225K miles on it had the originals until I recently swapped out struts kept springs about 10K miles ago, these OEM set from a car with only 80K would be fine to test the waters. Been sitting in my garage for a couple months then last week one of my air struts gave out and I said HELL NO I am done with this. The front was easy to do because I already replaced one air strut. Since you have to take out the upper control arms I decided it was also time to replace those. The rears were hard to do but after figuring it out by trial and error I got it all put back together this morning. I would say I really enjoy the ride more now then the air ride. I don't know if something was wrong with air suspension but on surface streets it was so stiff then would loosen up when you got on the freeway and sped up.

now the car is solid all the time, it's not stiff on surface streets. LOVE THE RIDE I so prefer it. I am so glad I did it. if you have any questions let me know.
Old 11-11-22, 07:47 AM
gumbyls
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody have an answer how to get the warning lights off the dash? I unplugged the compressor and now have a flashing warning light on the dash. I've been searching this forum and the interwebs as a whole for about an hour.

I swapped out the fronts about 6 months ago. Left the compressor hooked up and controlling the rears. Worked great, but the rears are rusting through and I had already ordered the coil struts. Swapped out the rears yesterday. Not a terrible job. No need to pull the sway bar or upper control arms as seen on the youtubes. I like the ride just fine. I really like not having air ride problems. I bought the car with bad front struts and tried the Chinese ones. They quite clearly mean used OEM when they say new. They lasted about 6 months. The ride was a bit better with air, but not worth the problems.

Last edited by gumbyls; 11-11-22 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 06:01 PM
mr2seater
2nd gear

Any reason you unplugged the pump? Leave everything plugged in like the pump and actuators and you shouldn't have any warning lights.