LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will the LS460 have AVS suspension standard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 02:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will the LS460 have AVS suspension standard?

I'm sorry if it has already been discussed but I've already done a search and looked on Lexus.com and haven't seen much in the way of a firm answer.

I see the LS600h has some sort of air suspension - which to me seems kind of old school tech wise compared to AVS - unless the traditional air suspension setup that extends back to the days of early 90s Lincolns is not at all what this new air suspension technology is.

BUT what about the LS460?

The GS430 has it standard, so does the GX and LX. The ES has it optional. So it only makes sense that the LS460 would have it standard, but I don't think the LS430 did, did it? So I'm not 100% sure about it either.

If it does come standard I wonder how it would compare to the others? Same tech, or maybe a gen II tech of the same basic setup?
Old 06-06-06, 02:29 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus' website says that Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS) is N/A on the LS460 and optional on the LS460 L.
Old 06-06-06, 02:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Lexus' website says that Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS) is N/A on the LS460 and optional on the LS460 L.
Normal AVS is not an air suspension to my knowledge. Does it actually say AVS or just Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (which would be AVAS I'd think)?

How strange would it be to not put AVS on their flagship car which will typically sell in the 60-75k range - make it only availalbe on the top model of their flagship which will most likely approach 100k when loaded up... yet it's available on the ES (or at least was in years past - not sure about the new ES350), standard on the GS430, etc...
Old 06-07-06, 08:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm sorry if it has already been discussed but I've already done a search and looked on Lexus.com and haven't seen much in the way of a firm answer.

I see the LS600h has some sort of air suspension - which to me seems kind of old school tech wise compared to AVS - unless the traditional air suspension setup that extends back to the days of early 90s Lincolns is not at all what this new air suspension technology is.

BUT what about the LS460?

The GS430 has it standard, so does the GX and LX. The ES has it optional. So it only makes sense that the LS460 would have it standard, but I don't think the LS430 did, did it? So I'm not 100% sure about it either.

If it does come standard I wonder how it would compare to the others? Same tech, or maybe a gen II tech of the same basic setup?
AVS is not available on the LS460 SWB.
Old 06-21-06, 07:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
AVS is not available on the LS460 SWB.
And what is your opinion of that considering it has been an option on the ES for a while now and is standard on the GX and GS V8?
Old 06-21-06, 07:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

And what is your opinion of that considering it has been an option on the ES for a while now and is standard on the GX and GS V8?
Majority of buyers of a flagship luxury car are not looking to stiffen their suspension for "sportier" driving. That's what the GS is for.
Old 06-21-06, 07:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Majority of buyers of a flagship luxury car are not looking to stiffen their suspension for "sportier" driving. That's what the GS is for.
Well... so lexus will have it on the extended wheel base LS - why? Are those owners concerned with "sportier" driving, as you put it? If anything they're likely to be less concerned with sport than the ones who bought the short wheel base!

Active and semi active suspension systems are about far more than just adding sportiness to a suspension system. They can actively smooth out bumps to make a vehicle ride even more smoothly by adapting for them on the fly and as soon as they're gone, cutting out all rebound. All of that without adding in the 'wobble' associated with soft suspensions that makes the car feel a little like a water bed.

It all depends on how the range of the suspension system is tuned. I know on many sports cars that active and semi active suspension systems are used on - they say it doesn't improve the handling that much but helps the ride considerably.

I believe BMW, Mercedes, and Caddy all have their own versions on their flagship models, too.
Old 06-22-06, 12:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well... so lexus will have it on the extended wheel base LS - why? Are those owners concerned with "sportier" driving, as you put it? If anything they're likely to be less concerned with sport than the ones who bought the short wheel base!
Well the air suspension of the LS carries a hefty tag. It already was a pricey option in the previous generation LS and only a select few had it. Replacing the system when it was due was VERY expensive. Couldn't really tell you why Lexus only offers it on the LWB version other than the option being a pretty expensive luxury feature which would only aid the vehicle's size and weight.
Old 06-22-06, 06:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well the air suspension of the LS carries a hefty tag. It already was a pricey option in the previous generation LS and only a select few had it. Replacing the system when it was due was VERY expensive. Couldn't really tell you why Lexus only offers it on the LWB version other than the option being a pretty expensive luxury feature which would only aid the vehicle's size and weight.
So the "air suspension" of the previous gen was not actually an air-based suspension at all but rather a semi active suspension identical to AVS?
Old 06-22-06, 06:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

as much as I remember, new ES does not have it as an option.

But as we dont know what will LS drive like, we really have no clue what is its suspension like so its pretty shortsighted to argue about cons and pros where we have no clue...
Old 06-22-06, 06:26 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

But as we dont know what will LS drive like, we really have no clue what is its suspension like so its pretty shortsighted to argue about cons and pros where we have no clue...
From a strictly technical standpoint a semi active shock absorber should always be able to out-perform a traditional shock.

Yeah I noticed the ES seems to be missing AVS - strange since it was optional previously...
Old 06-22-06, 07:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

New ES and 3GS V8 have no AVS as standard nor optional.
Old 06-24-06, 08:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
Actually AVS has been an available option in the ES since 1997 (MCV20) all the way up to 2006 (MCU31). It wasn't a common feature, just like the cloth seat package of the ES.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-24-06 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 08:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
New ES and 3GS V8 have no AVS as standard nor optional.
That is not true. AVS is standard feature for the 2006 GS430 and 2007 GS450h.
Old 06-24-06, 08:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes you are right, AVS for Lexus means Adaptive variable suspension, which is kind of a semi-active set-up.
What I had in mind is Active suspension, which works differently, similar to the one in MB available for their SL/CL & S-class models, I sometimes confuse the 2.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-24-06 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Will the LS460 have AVS suspension standard?