Lexus GX460 Rust and Undercoat / Rustproofing In Salt Infested Road - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus GX460 Rust and Undercoat / Rustproofing In Salt Infested Road

Old 11-04-14, 07:45 PM   #1
mikereyes7
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX460 Rust and Undercoat / Rustproofing In Salt Infested Road

I got a 2013 Lexus GX460 and I live in Toronto. Winter here can be very harsh with roads muddled with salt - hence corrosion. I am confused as dealership and Lexus site do not recommend undercoating but it will definitely help prevent corrosion especially with the salty roads in Toronto during winter.

Should I undercoat or not? I don't want to void any warranties if I do the undercoating yet Lexus does not recommend it. But if I do not undercoat, rust will build up unless the 2013 GX460 is factory protected from rust.

Will appreciate any thoughts/ideas on this.

I asked about undercoating and the Lexus dealership told me and from Lexus correspondence itself, "As Lexus Canada does not offer this type of product, we cannot endorse the use of after market rust proofing. This does not mean that it will not be beneficial to your vehicle, it simply means that the decision is at your discretion.

With regard to the effects of after market rust proofing on your vehicle's manufacturer's warranty, should the application of this product be the direct cause of a concern with your vehicle, Lexus would not be responsible. As you can certainly appreciate, the manufacturer's warranty will cover defects in material or workmanship and not difficulties arising from factors other than the manufacturing processes."

Last edited by mikereyes7; 11-04-14 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Update of Title
mikereyes7 is offline   Reply With Quote