Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Charcoal Canister help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 01:52 PM
Lux00Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal Canister help

Hi all...

New guy here... I have a question that maybe someone can help answer... Long story short, here it goes... (MOD's please move if it's in the wrond place)

Changed out the starter on my 2000 LX470... When I finished changing, I noticed that fuel was coming out like a leaking facuet from the driver front body frame. I checked my work again and still the same... I noticed on the Vapor can that I had some fuel lines routed worng and it was dropping the fuel down the nipple... Once I corrected this, no more fuel leak and all is well... My question is...

Did I damage my Charcoal Canister buy letting that much fuel sit in there? Fuel was in there for about 12 hours since it got dark and I had to put the little ones to bed and all... I have heard that it will just dry out and I will have to deal with the vapor smell of gas until it dries... but I am worried that I could have damaged it... Checking on line it about 500-700 depends where you buy... As you can see, I am trying to avoid that lol...

Thanks in advance...

Lux's....

oh yeah, cool site...

Last edited by Lux00Lexus; 01-24-13 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-24-13, 08:51 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Liquid fuel inside the charcoal canister can definitely kill it. The whole purpose of the charcoal is to absorb the fuel vapors, since it had liquid in it, its possible that it has destroyed the charcoal. Still, i would give it time to dry out, and see if you end up getting a check engine light for some kind of failure related to the canister. I wouldnt run out and buy a new one until youre sure you need one.
Old 10-23-13, 08:22 PM
ZAFEPAM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal canister

When i removed the battery cables and cleaned up the gas cover and place it back again the christmas lights went out. I started driving the car for 2 days and voila! It is back again. Now the main switch for the door only opens my door and would not open the others while each switch independently open theirs? Any ideas?