Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance Description Deciphering

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 07:44 AM
GTBaby06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maintenance Description Deciphering

So I bought my 07 GS350 2 years ago and I love it. I haven't had any major problems with it. Since I bought it used, though, vs. CPO, I don't think everything was tuned up like a CPO. So far, I've only replaced my back brake rotors/pads (required for my state inspection), and now my fronts have started doing that obnoxious high-pitched squeak (on occasion..generally at LOW speeds). My rotors looks pretty smooth, but I was thinking of replacing them just for peace-of-mind..brake pads too.

Luckily the previous owner seems to have done most of the maintenance at a Lexus dealership, so it's pretty well-logged on MyLexus login. I was searching through the service history to see if the front rotors/pads had been replaced. The only thing that seems mildly promising is a repair with a description of "F.DSC 1-SD INCL;R&R DSC PAD". Does anyone know what this means? I've been searching both on CL and on google for any sort of deciphering/clue, but I seem to have had no luck.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (as well as recommends for rotors/pads. I've seen centric blanks and OEM pads seem to be a popular pairing!)
Old 05-21-12, 08:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GTBaby06
So I bought my 07 GS350 2 years ago and I love it. I haven't had any major problems with it. Since I bought it used, though, vs. CPO, I don't think everything was tuned up like a CPO. So far, I've only replaced my back brake rotors/pads (required for my state inspection), and now my fronts have started doing that obnoxious high-pitched squeak (on occasion..generally at LOW speeds). My rotors looks pretty smooth, but I was thinking of replacing them just for peace-of-mind..brake pads too.

Luckily the previous owner seems to have done most of the maintenance at a Lexus dealership, so it's pretty well-logged on MyLexus login. I was searching through the service history to see if the front rotors/pads had been replaced. The only thing that seems mildly promising is a repair with a description of "F.DSC 1-SD INCL;R&R DSC PAD". Does anyone know what this means? I've been searching both on CL and on google for any sort of deciphering/clue, but I seem to have had no luck.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (as well as recommends for rotors/pads. I've seen centric blanks and OEM pads seem to be a popular pairing!)
I got you :

-Front Disc- 1 side-driver, included: Remove and Reinstall Disc and Pad.

Looks like for whatever reason, they removed the front brake on the drivers side, replaced the rotor and reinstalled the pads.

Could have been a warped rotor that they turned (milled out till it was smooth again) as well.

There are MANY great brake manufacturers, but if you are looking for OEM quality without OEM price, believe it or not, Duralast is a good place to start. Autozone's Duralast brand comes with a lifetime warranty. If they ever warp again, your replacements are free.

Also check on Brembo, they sell OEM replacements. EBC is also another excellent brand.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-21-12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 10:25 AM
GTBaby06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are awesome! thank you!

Thanks for the advice! So I started looking at Autozone's brakes and I found the Duralast rotors. Does it matter that my car is AWD and it indicated "with 2 wheel drive" on the listing? Also what about their brake pads? Recommended?
Old 05-21-12, 11:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GTBaby06
You are awesome! thank you!

Thanks for the advice! So I started looking at Autozone's brakes and I found the Duralast rotors. Does it matter that my car is AWD and it indicated "with 2 wheel drive" on the listing? Also what about their brake pads? Recommended?
If its indicated, then it likely does matter. I don't want to send the wrong info your way, so I would reccomend calling AutoZone to find out for sure. I am thinking that because the if GS is Rear-Wheel-Drive, then the AWD rotors will not work, because AWD rotors have a larger center hole, to accomodate the axle and vice-versa.

For your pads, in this particular application, I reccomend Duralast C-Max Ceramics to minimize brake dust and perform better.

Don't let anyone tell you that AZ produces inferior parts, because as long as I have been a Mechanic, I have been reccomending them and using them myself. I steer clear of some of the brands they carry, like valu-craft or other sup-par brands, but their Duralast products have proven themselves to me time and time again, and I would not hesitate to recommend them when it comes to things like brakes. I put Duralast rotors on my truck, all the way around after the factory ones warped towing my boat on a 500 mile trip. That was march of last year. They are still going strong and havent shown ANY signs of brake fade or warping, even with 7,000lbs of boat behind my 5,500lb truck.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-21-12 at 11:06 AM.