Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Change Transmission fluid 1992 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 08:54 AM
NSeagle78
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Transmission fluid 1992 sc400

Car shifts ruft and I am sure the fluid has not been changed in over 100,000 miles. I cecked for a DIY for the older model SCs and could not find one. help, pictures would help even more.
Old 09-04-11, 08:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wouldn't recommend replacing the entire fluid, and it has definitely been documented here, but its easy...

get underneath the car, locate the transmission pan - center of the car, just in front of the driveshaft, you will find a (most likely) 14 or 15mm drain plug... drain out the 2-3 quarts that are in the pan, replace the drain plug and refill with Toyota T-IV fluid until between the lines on the trans dipstick - you refill it through the dipstick tube... make sure you check the fluid level with the engine running and warm and in neutral or park...

as the transmission holds between 11 and 12 quarts of fluid, obviously you aren't changing it all, but, you also aren't disturbing any deposits and such by flushing it...

if you want to change more, then I would suggest doing this service after a few days of driving again...
Old 09-06-11, 10:33 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you can get a bulk discount for buying a full case of 12 quarts at the dealership. The stick licker who runs my local one charged me full price ($87.00 for a case). Didn't help that I had to walk home 4 miles with the whole thing strapped to my back. But man did I ever get a good sleep that night.
Old 10-02-11, 12:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Wouldn't recommend replacing the entire fluid, and it has definitely been documented here, but its easy...

get underneath the car, locate the transmission pan - center of the car, just in front of the driveshaft, you will find a (most likely) 14 or 15mm drain plug... drain out the 2-3 quarts that are in the pan, replace the drain plug and refill with Toyota T-IV fluid until between the lines on the trans dipstick - you refill it through the dipstick tube... make sure you check the fluid level with the engine running and warm and in neutral or park...

as the transmission holds between 11 and 12 quarts of fluid, obviously you aren't changing it all, but, you also aren't disturbing any deposits and such by flushing it...

if you want to change more, then I would suggest doing this service after a few days of driving again...
Agreed, Definately do not flush. That is so bad for old transmissions. Drain and refill is always best. I never flush an automatic transmission. Drain and refill/filter change every 20k or so is more than sufficient.
Old 09-20-15, 02:26 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

How many quarts is necessary if you're not doing a full flush? At 196K I'm thinking of adding some Lucas Transmission Fluid instead of the Toyota stuff as all the reviews are very positive. Car seems a bit hesitant in first sometimes. I'm sure the fluid hasn't been changed in the last 100K. I really want to use this Lucas stuff because I have another SC which has a trailer on it, and towing a trailer could add wear on that tranny. So if it works on one, I'll do it on the other.