Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Let's Talk Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 10:23 PM
goohead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

walls of txt :0

viscocity = fluid friction

a very small amount of the work done by the crank rotation is transferred to the oil via the fluid friction

running lower vis oil = good as there is less drain on power produced by the engine since you can see it as a parasitic drain on power but at most its like what 1-2% power lost from more fluid friction.

but your engine crank, cam, rod bearings clearance from the manufactures are always taken into account when your car maker recommends an oil grade for that particular car, along w emission standards and other stuff.

for instance oil w higher zinc and phosphate content were really good to reduce engine wear but was phased out due to non enviroment

i like to run a higher viscocity oil on a modified boosted car just because most of the time my bearing clearance is on the loose side of manufacture specs so i can afford to run it w/o worring about oil flow in these areas (main, rod). 0w40 is awesome

if you really want to know what the oil is doing you should do a couple of oil analyst. just because some guy runs oil xxx in his overpriced car doesnt mean its the best for your, do your own homework and get your own conclusions not what someone else says
for a stock car w/ low output 5w30 works fine for me or w/e is decent/cheap

Last edited by goohead; 07-22-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 12:19 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

apdxyk: I see you posting more smack on other people's threads...all you do is talk crap by belittling what the thread starter states...but the funny thing is...you offer NO useful information yourself.

Originally Posted by apdxyk
To summarize it: he claims the lowest possible viscosity is all you need and as a proof runs 0W20 and lower in his own Lambos and Maybachs. The part he modestly omits is that it is RLI oil with an unusually high HTHS value. He plays on mass ignorance of the fact that SAE grades have been obsolete for the past couple decades and other metrics are more important. He loves limelight, and as an intro to tribology his article will do. A surgeon gentleman tribologyst is less dangerous than a tribologyst gentleman surgeon.

I have never met the man, so I do not even know whether he really has any Lambos. I did meet Mr Peter Gilbert who ran the same Saab for over 1.1 million miles though, and he does not play a scientist he is not. His motto is: do it right, do it on time.