Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

what's the indication of worn or damaged wheel hub bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 11:21 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default what's the indication of worn or damaged wheel hub bearing?

can anyone tell me if this is related to vibration issue?
i have the exact same issue even with my stock wheels. i'm on coilovers and reinstalled everything to make sure nothing's loose.. while i'm cruising, i switched my gear to Neutral, and it's still vibrating, leading me to believe that it's not a drive train wobble..
i did hit a deep pot hole which bent one of my front wheels slightly, but this was quite a long time ago.. could this possibly related?
any opinion will be appreciated..
Old 09-10-09, 03:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

2 ways I know of, both require getting the car up in the air:

1. Grab the wheel and try to wiggle it left/right or up/down. It shouldn't move at all.
2. Spin the wheel and see if it makes noise, and how quickly it stops (compare to other wheels that you don't suspect of having bad bearings)
Old 09-10-09, 05:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ yea #1 is the best way to tell. also if the wheel bearing was bad, you would hear a humming noise while driving.
Old 09-10-09, 06:24 AM
stvincent
Racer

thx.. i will try that wiggle test and listen for any humming sound. hopefully i can pin point this vibration..
Old 09-11-09, 09:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

have you had the car aligned? it sounds like, after your potential cause, that a bushing is worn, broken, damaged, etc... could also be something (other than wheels) that are bent...

if, once you get it in the air, you determine the wheel bearing seems ok, please check other suspension parts for tightness...

being as it does it with both sets of wheels/tires, probably not the issue - you might try rotating though, see if the problem changes at all...

is there any specific speed? while accelerating only? while decelerating only?
Old 09-11-09, 10:09 AM
stvincent
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
have you had the car aligned? it sounds like, after your potential cause, that a bushing is worn, broken, damaged, etc... could also be something (other than wheels) that are bent...

if, once you get it in the air, you determine the wheel bearing seems ok, please check other suspension parts for tightness...

being as it does it with both sets of wheels/tires, probably not the issue - you might try rotating though, see if the problem changes at all...

is there any specific speed? while accelerating only? while decelerating only?
this is like a hit or miss, but some of the 'lowered' AWD GS owners here have to deal with this drivetrain wobble.. i did have vibration before when i accelerate, but it was smooth as butter when i'm just cruising..

now, i feel the same wobble, but not only when i accelerate, but during any given speed range. like i mentioned, i thought it was unbalanced wheels, but it felt the same when i swapped with 17s stock wheels. i crossed out the drivetrain wobble since it also felt the same when i swithched the gear to Neutral.

i mentioned the coilover install since this is the only modification i have done recently. i had no problem for about a month, but when i started to feel this vibration, i checked the front suspension after couple days.. sure enough, a bolt that secure the C clamp and the bottom of the strut on driver side was loose. i tightened that up, but had no improvement. little paranoid, i basically reinstalled everything again, both front suspension, checked the rear too, but there's still no improvement.

so far, everything looks tight and secured, nothing's leaking, boot looks fine, clamps are tight, and i'm not really sure where to look further..

do you think alignment will help? not sure my car can be aligned since it's not adjustable.. what bushings are you referring too? what else can i check visually?

i will do the hub bearing test or take it to the shop, but not sure if this can be already worn out or damaged..

thx..
Old 09-11-09, 10:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

AWD car... hmmm, makes me think... other possibilities are bad cv axles in the front and rear... also, the driveshaft can still be a possibility - it still rotates even though the engine is disconnected from it...

alignment may help, may not - I'd at least get it checked - even though it may not be adjustable, it may lead to something that is bent... bushings - all the bushings in the front and rear pretty much - where the control arms connect to the chassis, the ball joints where the control arms connect to the spindle, etc... all of this stuff is under suspicion...