Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rumble after hard driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 06:58 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rumble after hard driving

Im driving my RX300 in heavy wet snow on the highway other day and I start to hear a low rumbel. I get off the highway and it goes away. Then I stop to get gas. I put the car in reverse and I hear this bad rumbling sound and shaking when backing up (car is still hot). It goes away when in foward. Now its gone completly. Its not snow around the wheels... Do I need trainy fluid changed?

Now I see that my coolant is a red color. Should this be a greenish color?

The car is working fine now. 27K mi on it.
Old 02-26-02, 02:48 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

jmezo, see my post from last time you posted this. Same thing happened here about the time you first ran this post. Heavy wet snow, rumble in same circumstances. I concluded it was snow buildup in the wheel wells since it has not happened before or since, and I had wells just packed with snow.

Hypothesis: tire rubbing on snow pack, vibration thru body.
Old 02-27-02, 04:48 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clarification

As I replied to that post the rumble occured when the car was placed in gear and "not moving" Let me explain in more detail. I started the car ( no rumble nothing unusual) then I put the car in reverse ( low rumble sound and large Vibration) I apply power and the car moves about 4 inches ( very large viberation and rumble) I remove power and car not moving ( Vibration slowes with engine rpm but still rumbling badly) I put the car in park ( all rumbling stops) I shaking my head "what the hell did I do to my new car. I put it in reverse again ( bad rumbling instantly without the car moving).
Old 02-27-02, 10:15 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Apologies! I somehow missed your reply first time. Something definitely different there, and I compounded matters thanks to my misunderstanding. Sounds like it's time for a chat with the techs.

(I am sheepish now.)