Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Toyota's Mistake and Punishment

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 10:19 PM
lex227
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota's Mistake and Punishment

Let me begin with some admissions:

---I think Toyota consistently builds the finest cars in the world in their respective price ranges. (That's why I have bought several Previas and Lexuses, even though the dealers are also consistently arrogrant and hard to deal with) But even they occasionally make design errors.

--- I am a corporate defense lawyer; I make my living by defending corporations against defective product claims. (That's why I can afford to buy the Lexuses)

I advise my clients that when they do have a product defect the best thing they can do is admit it early and put a program into place to fix the defective units and advise the customer about what to do to prevent further damage. This will save them a lot of money in the long run and will solidify their customer base and probably attract new ones because they are taking a responsible position.

Toyota has not done this. They have lied, fraudulently denied valid warranty claims, and intentionally misled their customers. They are now trying to do the responsible thing with their new "gel" program, and should be commended for it. But that does not excuse their prior behavior and (in addtition to replacing or repairing defective engines) should be punished for it.

The reason they should be punished is as a deterent to doing the same thing next time. They way the punishment is accomplished is by a significant fine, in the the tens of millions, or and punitive (additional ) damages awarded by a court to injured customers.

I would encourage the readers to demand that Toyota be taught a lesson.
Old 02-23-02, 09:13 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default No way

You'll be trying to reverse an aspect of Japanese culture that has been in existence for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

But good luck anyway.
Old 02-24-02, 11:28 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default I TOTALLY agree with you......

Originally posted by lex227
Let me begin with some admissions:

---I think Toyota consistently builds the finest cars in the world in their respective price ranges. (That's why I have bought several Previas and Lexuses, even though the dealers are also consistently arrogrant and hard to deal with) But even they occasionally make design errors.

--- I am a corporate defense lawyer; I make my living by defending corporations against defective product claims. (That's why I can afford to buy the Lexuses)

I advise my clients that when they do have a product defect the best thing they can do is admit it early and put a program into place to fix the defective units and advise the customer about what to do to prevent further damage. This will save them a lot of money in the long run and will solidify their customer base and probably attract new ones because they are taking a responsible position.

Toyota has not done this. They have lied, fraudulently denied valid warranty claims, and intentionally misled their customers. They are now trying to do the responsible thing with their new "gel" program, and should be commended for it. But that does not excuse their prior behavior and (in addtition to replacing or repairing defective engines) should be punished for it.

The reason they should be punished is as a deterent to doing the same thing next time. They way the punishment is accomplished is by a significant fine, in the the tens of millions, or and punitive (additional ) damages awarded by a court to injured customers.

I would encourage the readers to demand that Toyota be taught a lesson.
......on what you have to say, however, I'd like to say the following:

You've got to understand the Japanese culture. The Japanese are ABSOLUTE PERFECTIONISTS and any kind of mistake of any sort brings about a great deal of shame and "loss of face" - This is a good thing, because it results in the Perfect products that generally come from Japan, and even overrated and overhyped manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW, who have been around for tons of years before Toyota and Honda ever existed, can only dream of achieving the levels of perfection in quality/reliability/durability that makes like Acura, Lexus and Infiniti have bred into their products.

However, as is the typical case, in most cultures and growing economies it seems that the new generation/modernized Japanese are not as hard-working or dedicated and do not have the same enthusiasm and pride-in-workmanship as their forebearers, but then this it true of every culture that's existed and was true of the great inventive and innovative spirit of Americans 100 years back - we do not see any more Benjamin Franklins, Thomas Edisons or Wright brothers anymore - Of course these people did not have life as easy as we have it today and therefore had a much greater incentive to progress and advance!!
Old 02-25-02, 10:17 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default misunderstanding

A society that puts so much weight on shame and loss of face can never be very innovative when it comes to implementing new ideas. That society may be able to take an existing design and manufacture it quite perfectly but in such a society as currently exists, while it is changing, people with new ideas that fail often get there heads "chopped off".

Many new ideas come from people who try new things, often fail, but then get up and go at it all over again. How many types of light bulb filaments did Edison try before he found one that worked well enough.
Old 02-25-02, 11:00 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Future

The men and women who build the future are those who know that greater things are yet to come, and that they themselves will help bring them about. Their minds are illumined by the blazing sun of hope. They never stop to doubt. They haven't time...

Melvin J Evans
Old 02-26-02, 09:24 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Here's what I have the latest (at least in my case)...

I just got off the phone with Lexus Customer Service, and was informed that the update is the same version for 2003 vehicles, meaning as soon as they have for 2003 Nav, then that's our update.

Ever since I bought my '02 RX300 Dec 31, 2001, I've had lengthy discussions and arguements with Lexus Customer Service (one of the managers), and my dealership's Sales Manager. I filed my formal complaint, sent letters with printed materials of Lexus's claim for its 2002 Nav capabilities. I also filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General's office, who forwarded my complaint to the FTC. Lexus promised, claimed in all 2002 Lexus vehicles with Nav pkg that they all can cover some parts of Canada. To make a long story short, my car can't! Last, I was promised that I'd get the update free, by middle of the year 2002.

I have had enough lies and empty promises from Lexus. If the update is not out by middle of 2002, I will immediately seek legal advice to stop this madness from Lexus! I have gathered all printed materials.

Regards,
Hendry Leo