Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Royal Purple motor oil REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 12:58 AM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use RP and its great!!..you can actually tell the difference
Old 03-20-08, 01:18 AM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

A buddy of mine has just switched over from mineral oil to royal purple. He says he gets way better response while at WOT. Hes got a LS1 with a blower.

I'm planning to use it on my 1jz after rebuild.
Old 03-20-08, 07:36 AM
Erukian
Driver School Candidate

I'm using castrol GTX high mileage because if i switch to synthetic on a 200k mile motor some problems could crop up. Not to say RP/M1 is bad, just that on older motors, i'm all about keeping those gaskets healthy and working.
Old 03-20-08, 07:41 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

talk about a placebo from hell...

royal purple does not change anything about throttle response or power...

there have been dyno sheets showing absolutely zero difference in power production when changing between competing, same weight oils...

when I did use it in my car, I noticed no increase in fuel mileage (which on a 1200 mile trip, I tracked perfectly, and have many trips in my past on other oil - Mobil1, specifically) I also noticed, if anything, a slight bit more valvetrain noise than normal...
The following users liked this post:
LS1 (04-18-19)
Old 03-22-08, 07:05 AM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
talk about a placebo from hell...

royal purple does not change anything about throttle response or power...

there have been dyno sheets showing absolutely zero difference in power production when changing between competing, same weight oils...

when I did use it in my car, I noticed no increase in fuel mileage (which on a 1200 mile trip, I tracked perfectly, and have many trips in my past on other oil - Mobil1, specifically) I also noticed, if anything, a slight bit more valvetrain noise than normal...
well, sucks for you, cause you are the ONLY person claiming that

http://www.import-racer.com/royalpurple/dyno.html

lol, cynical people suck!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-08, 10:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Anyone that's ever spent a few hours at a dyno shop can tell you that repeatability almost never happens... A well tuned car on the dyno can and will vary 1-5 percent in power output on almost every run... Showing a car with a 3 hp gain at some certain engine speed means nothing to me, nor any hard core tuner... Also, testing conditions have a huge impact... 10 degrees in intake temperatue will more than account for a gain or loss of that amount of hp... Or even an incorrectly placed fan in front of the vehicle (especially on intercooled cars)... Even royal purples tests showed 3 hp on a 300 hp car
Old 03-22-08, 01:37 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

look at the dyno sheets again..granted there are a few with gains only at certain spots, but most of em have an even gain throughout the power band, demonstrating a genuine gain. and btw, i have worked at shops with dynos, and am not just spewing words out of my ***, i know what im talking about.

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/index.php - first job around a dyno
2nd place doesnt have a site, called TSM (top speed motorsports)
Old 03-22-08, 07:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SC4_FI
look at the dyno sheets again..granted there are a few with gains only at certain spots, but most of em have an even gain throughout the power band, demonstrating a genuine gain. and btw, i have worked at shops with dynos, and am not just spewing words out of my ***, i know what im talking about.

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/index.php - first job around a dyno
2nd place doesnt have a site, called TSM (top speed motorsports)
I would have to see it back to back comparison... same day, same car, brand new oil for both tests, same engine temperature... then I might buy into it a little... here's a good for instance... short ram air intake - makes power on a car so long as the hood is open... shut the hood, let the car run for a few minutes, and then dyno it, it will show a power LOSS over the stock air box more times than not... there are so many little variables that no matter what, it will vary from run to the next...

at any rate, a 3 hp gain is not seat of the pants noticeable, which, i guess what I am really trying to get at... maybe on a 20 hp car it might be noticeable, but not on a 200+ hp car... its the placebo effect... a gain of a couple hp here or there is not a noticeable gain and any dyno tuner will tell you to entirely write off that little of a gain as standard deviation... I've spent hours and hours on the dyno tuning cars - with afc, dsmlink and AEM computers... I've ridden and driven the cars before and after, and a tuned car to start might gain a couple hp by adding timing, pulling fuel or whatnot, and gain 5-10 hp on the dyno, but not feel any difference...
Old 03-22-08, 07:24 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

i defiantly agree with you there, takes 10-15 whp, generally, to actually feel it. only thing i was disagreeing with is that a better lubricant will increase the horsepower.
Old 03-23-08, 02:45 PM
DirtyIs300
Driver School Candidate

My last oil change I tried the Royal Purple. I didnt really notice any difference in the car. Stuff was expensive. Im gonna stick to mobil1
Old 03-23-08, 04:42 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I would have to see it back to back comparison... same day, same car, brand new oil for both tests, same engine temperature... then I might buy into it a little... here's a good for instance... short ram air intake - makes power on a car so long as the hood is open... shut the hood, let the car run for a few minutes, and then dyno it, it will show a power LOSS over the stock air box more times than not... there are so many little variables that no matter what, it will vary from run to the next...

at any rate, a 3 hp gain is not seat of the pants noticeable, which, i guess what I am really trying to get at... maybe on a 20 hp car it might be noticeable, but not on a 200+ hp car... its the placebo effect... a gain of a couple hp here or there is not a noticeable gain and any dyno tuner will tell you to entirely write off that little of a gain as standard deviation... I've spent hours and hours on the dyno tuning cars - with afc, dsmlink and AEM computers... I've ridden and driven the cars before and after, and a tuned car to start might gain a couple hp by adding timing, pulling fuel or whatnot, and gain 5-10 hp on the dyno, but not feel any difference...
3hp is still a gain, and consider all it does is an oil change, that is remarkeable. You are backtracking to "you will feel that difference". Heck, clock does not lie, but people do, especially someone with a stubborn mind that pre-determined xxx won't happen regardless of scientific data.
Old 03-24-08, 04:55 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

Gentleman lets not fight we all are right! LOL Whew, did not know motor oil was such a hot topic. I am not gonna even say what I use. Prolly 'cause I don't know. LOL
Old 03-24-08, 05:41 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahaha. Motor oil always seems to light fires in people for some reason. Anyway, RP tends to run a little thicker in my experience, grade per grade, as compared to other oils, and definitely over M1 which I feel runs a bit thinner. 10W-30 RP always seems to make my engine run smoother. A slightly thicker oil can make the car seem more responsive. This won't translate into any real hp increases over the engine's stock rating unless the engine was experiencing some blow-by thus reducing compression. The oil essentially "seals" the combustion chamber better and restores compression. In that case, the engine was putting out lower numbers than stock and you probably didn't notice it since it happened over a long period of time. This is why thicker oils are recommended for older engines. Nothing wrong with it and is fairly normal. Just use it and be glad at the reinvigorated life in the car. I run 10W-40 during the summer in my SC and it runs great.
Old 03-24-08, 12:10 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I also only run RP 20/50 in my 1jz supra and have zero issues. The car runs very smooth
Old 03-28-08, 11:43 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

When i switched to rp 15-40 on my 1j i did not get any drastic hp or gas milage improvments but the engine does feel and idle better than any oil i ever used , im sticking with rp from now on ....

Quick Reply: Royal Purple motor oil REVIEW