Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

60K Service Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 01:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60K Service Cost

For any of you that are interested, my 2k1 GS4 just had its 60K service done. Please don't post how I could have done it cheaper, I am aware I oculd have done it cheaper but just took it in and had it done for convenience. Lexus in Fremont. 60K service was $1400. I had them use synthetic oil in the engine, Dentpro took a little dent out, and had a brake job done. Out the door, $2300. Of course I had an RX from about noon on Thursday until 8PM on Friday. Just in case any of you were wondering.
Old 02-26-06, 12:16 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you like getting ripped off? synthetic oil=40 bucks max. oil filter=6 bucks. (this is from the dealer) go change your oil. brake job..is like, what 300 bucks? take 3 hours to do this, hell...change your oil the same time as changing the brakes. once you do the front brakes your oil would be done draining, switch out the filter, put more oil in it, and then jack up the rear of the car and put the rear brakes on. bleed/ flush fluid whatever you want to do, and voila, you just saved yourself 1800 dollars worth of money. glad you felt better spending 1800 to drive a rx for a day/night.
Old 02-26-06, 08:13 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
do you like getting ripped off? synthetic oil=40 bucks max. oil filter=6 bucks. (this is from the dealer) go change your oil. brake job..is like, what 300 bucks? take 3 hours to do this, hell...change your oil the same time as changing the brakes. once you do the front brakes your oil would be done draining, switch out the filter, put more oil in it, and then jack up the rear of the car and put the rear brakes on. bleed/ flush fluid whatever you want to do, and voila, you just saved yourself 1800 dollars worth of money. glad you felt better spending 1800 to drive a rx for a day/night.
Nope, not exactly happy about being ripped off but get over feeling like these service prices are a ripoff. It is just the cost of owning these things. I do most of the oil changes myself and brakes are about the simplest maintenance you can do but the charm of spending several hours in February, even in Cali, doing that just wasn't as good a use of time for me as it might be for you. I don't think this was a buy but it isn't unreasonable and a long, long way away from a ripoff. I just posted so folks would have some idea what the service costs at Lexus. If it motivates you to twist your own wrenches, more power to you.

But I will also say, and this is also quite a bit different than bimmer, that Lexus service has always gotten it right the first time. But Lexus has adopted a little too much bimmer maintenance schedule for my tastes. When I look down the list of what was done it is mainly inspections. The real bugger of it is that I can really tell the difference in the car. I had noticed the engine maybe starting to idle a little rougher and it wasn't quite as solid at highway speed as when it was new. Son of a gun if both me and my wife can notice the difference in the car. I might not do the brakes at Lexus again but my preferred suspension shop, Custom Alignment, had already told me that unless somebody makes a big issue on parts, they have come to do Lexus brake jobs with Lexus parts. And that is a pretty good endorsement. So maybe I spent a bit more to have the RX loaner and save a separate day taking the car to DentPro. At least I got the car washed too.