Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Nasty smell after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 03:03 PM
fallabel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty smell after an oil change

I just changed my oil last night, and I'm now getting a pretty bad smell in the cabin (mostly when idling). There are two possible causes, as I see it.

1. I spilled some oil when I was filling it back up, and I probably didn't clean all of it up. It's possible that the spilled oil is burning when the engine heats up.

2. I added Sea Foam to the oil that I put in yesterday, and I guess it's possible that the smell is from the dissolution of buildup in the crankcase.

Which one of these seems more plausible? If it's the first one, what's the best way to clean inside the engine compartment?
Old 11-23-05, 09:50 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see from your profile you have a ES300. My wife does too. After changing the oil and filter I go down to the self-serve wash and blow off the oil that leaks over the motor mount and exhaust pipe. The way the oil filter sits horizontally just promotes a spill when it comes off.

Later.
JU
Old 11-24-05, 07:56 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely some oil dripped on the front exhaust manifold as you removed the old filter, which will still has some oil in it. As stated the filter is already at a down angle.

Next time, take a 20oz plastic soda bottle and cut it 3/4 of the way up. Prop this under the filter mount, loosen and let the filter drain into the bottle. Both will be extracted easily and practically no drips at all.

If the smell does not go away shortly, then start looking for leaks. Make sure the new oil filter is on tight and not cross threaded.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 11-24-05 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-24-05, 07:58 AM
fallabel
Rookie

Thanks steve. The filter went on without any problems, so I'm pretty sure that it isn't cross-threaded. I've driven about 15 miles with the car since the oil change, but I'll be driving it much more tomorrow.
Old 11-24-05, 08:01 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fallabel,

PS, I love your signature.

I used to be schitzophrenic, but we're ok now.

steviej
Old 11-24-05, 09:08 AM
fallabel
Rookie

Thanks!

One other question. I've been reading on these forums that after using Sea Foam in fresh oil, yuo need to change the oil again very soon. I've also read that after using it in the gas tank, you should replace your spark plugs.

Are either of these accurate? It seems odd that these things wouldn't be stated on the can or on the product's website.
Old 11-24-05, 12:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

after using seafoam you SHOULD CHANGE UR OIL after running it for about an hour either at low speeds or idle. not sure about the gas and spark plugs tho. but if u put it thru the intake u should do both.
Old 11-24-05, 01:42 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fallabel
Sea Foam I've also read that after using it in the gas tank, you should replace your spark plugs.
I do not think that is valid!
Seafoam is used as a fuel stabilizer for stored cars, boats, small engines etc. I've used it for storage of a Vette and various motorcycles for 15+ years now and never had a problem. I've used two cans at a time for a clogged injector which it cleared.

Later,
JU