Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Low on oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 03:35 PM
Anzial
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low on oil?

Hey guys,
Recently I had to have engine oil pan gasket repaired to fix the leak. In the process, oil was changed - I gave mechanic 5 quarts of oil (it's '97 ES300, needs only 5 quarts). Unfortunately, I didn't check oil level immediately when I got the car back but I did a few hours later. It was nowhere close to the Full mark, much closer to the Min. I wonder if they mechanic has actually changed the oil or whether he did put all 5 quarts in. Can anyone tell me what should I do now? Should I add more oil? Or should I go to the mechanic and raise hell about this thing? Thanks!
Old 10-16-05, 03:47 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'd add oil up to the full mark, but not before calling him about it and telling him about the whole situation. The mechanic had to drain out all the oil to drop the pan, so he definately changed the oil. Are you basing the 5 quart capacity on what the manual says? Sometimes cars will take more/less than what the manual says. The manual is simply a baseline to go by. Just about all of the oil that was in the motor came out when he changed the pan, so its possible that 5 quarts didn't cover it. If thats the case, and he added all 5 quarts, then its a case of not checking the level or not caring enough to add oil up to the full mark. Any decent mechanic should have a few quarts of oil lying around, especially for situations like this.

Scott
Old 10-16-05, 03:57 PM
Anzial
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for prompt reply! I really appreciate it, it's cleared some of the confusion. You right, I'm basing my conclusions on what the manual says - 5 quarts without filter change (4.8 with). I have actually changed oil with the same mechanic just a week ago but due to the leak decided to go for it again. Last time though I gave them 6 quarts and they might have used all of them (I believed they put in only 5 and kept the 6th), and then the dipstick stayed at "full' even despite the leaking pan. This time before the repairs I gave them 5 quarts since I thought they don't need more than that. As for him adding up to full - these guys don't have Mobil 1 and that's what I putting in I guess I'll add the sixth one myself (slowly )

So it is possible that my engine needs more than the manual calls for? BTW, the reading on dipstick is kinda strange. The tip of the stick is fully covered with oil but there is thin strip of oil on one side running upwards for a while, even extending above the full mark - this is of course after I wipe the dipstick and reinsert it. What that might mean? 'Cause i have no idea (car newb )
Old 10-16-05, 04:02 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its definately possible that you need more than what the manual says, especially after the pan has been dropped, which will empty the engine of even more oil than just a standard oil change. The one side of the dipstick could be picking up oil from the side of the dipstick tube. Just be sure that you are wiping off the dipstick each time before you insert it, and that you are checking the level on a level surface.

Scott