Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1997 Ls400 Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 10:59 PM
kaution321
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ls400 Starter Problem

Anyone Changed Their Starter Before. How Long Does The Ls Starter Last. Im Currently Experiencing Slow Starts And Sounds Like My Starter Mite Need To Be Replaced. I Know This Is A Big Job. I Checked My Battery And Is Good. Cleaned My Battery Terminals Free Of Corrosion. So The Only Thing Left Is My Starter.

Let Me Know If Any Of You Experienced This And Later Found That It Was The Starter.
Old 09-21-05, 08:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I had my starter replaced at 80K miles. It was the usual intermittent start and nothingness when turning the key. Longo (El Monte) did this and it was a 6+ hour routine. Mine was a shade off of $700 with AAA discount.
Old 09-23-05, 08:08 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts
Default starter

how do you know its the starter? could be that you just need a tune up which is a lot cheaper and easier for you to do. try changing the distributor cap and rotor, all spark plugs and wires and your fuel filter b4 you go out and change the starter. i didnt know anything about maintenance except to change my oil on my first ls and i paid dearly for it. as long as you hear the starter spining when you turn the key i would stay away from the starter for now. i once had those same symptoms until my car wouldnt start at all then i let it sit for a couple of days and then it would start. i took it to a shop and they changed the plugs and wires and presto no more problems
Old 09-23-05, 06:48 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
Anyone Changed Their Starter Before. How Long Does The Ls Starter Last. Im Currently Experiencing Slow Starts And Sounds Like My Starter Mite Need To Be Replaced. I Know This Is A Big Job. I Checked My Battery And Is Good. Cleaned My Battery Terminals Free Of Corrosion. So The Only Thing Left Is My Starter.

Let Me Know If Any Of You Experienced This And Later Found That It Was The Starter.
what is it doing. does it click or does it sound like the starter is moving slow

if it clicks probably a starter

i know for a fact the 1uz and the 3uz that the starter is under the intake plentum. its a big job. my first one took me about 6 hours. but i also work at a dealership and i got help doing it. for an average joe it will probably take the entire weekend but if u dont know what your doing. dont do the job

if ur starter is cranking slowly. u probably need a new battery if already done. u probably have high resistance in the main wire harness for the starter

if the starter clicks you need a new starter
Old 09-24-05, 04:08 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321

How do you know it is your starter?

What do you mean slow starts? Be more definitave.

It cranks but wont start? Cranks intermittently? Cranks very slowly? Engages to crank then disengages? or something else?

Wes