Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help finding tune-up parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 01:34 PM
Lexus Poor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding tune-up parts

My car is a 96 SC400 and I am looking for a place to buy some tune-up parts that won't break my bank. Looking for : Plugs, Plug wires, Caps, Rotors, Fuel filter......Can anyone make a suggestion as to where to get these items ? I would prefer to keep the parts original Lexus stuff but, I'd be willing to buy aftermarket if it's the same quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-05, 01:35 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carson Toyota
Old 07-22-05, 01:57 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta go with Iron Toad. I bought the exact same stuff you're looking for last year.
Purchased
Toyota OEM plug wires
Toyota OEM spark plugs (10)
Toyota OEM Caps & Rotors (2 each)
Toyota OEM oil filter
Toyota OEM air filter

If I recall correctly my total was like $260 - $275. I can confirm over the weekend for you if you like. Just need to check my old receipts.
Old 07-22-05, 02:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and Carson Toyota will beat Iron Toad's pricing, contact Carson dude.

mkorsu, how's that woofer hitting? I recall you getting an ib4 not too long ago.
Old 07-22-05, 03:13 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus Poor
My car is a 96 SC400 and I am looking for a place to buy some tune-up parts that won't break my bank. Looking for : Plugs, Plug wires, Caps, Rotors, Fuel filter......Can anyone make a suggestion as to where to get these items ? I would prefer to keep the parts original Lexus stuff but, I'd be willing to buy aftermarket if it's the same quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

www.newlexusparts.com

For at least 20-40 percent discount on lexus parts, you should get at least fuel filter, rotor, caps from here, this is even cheaper then any toyota dealer.

You could substitute the denso iridium plug wires for NGK platinum spark plug for equal quality but less life span, and slight savings.

Same thing goes for the plug wires substitute factory with NGK blue plug wires. Those are all available at any autozone or checkers or bap imports.

www.autozone.com www.ngk.com

I hope this helps!
Old 07-25-05, 06:12 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
...and Carson Toyota will beat Iron Toad's pricing, contact Carson dude.

mkorsu, how's that woofer hitting? I recall you getting an ib4 not too long ago.

Dang! I didn't realize Carson beats Iron Toad's pricing!! Gotta remember that next time I need parts which is soon since I'm approaching oil change time!!

The sub works well! The odd part was that I was fully under the impression that all SC's (regardless of year) had a 10inch sub stock. Well my 92 had an 8inch. So it took quite a bit of modification to get the 10 in and still not hit the gas tank. I ended up having to build a riser plate of sorts to get the sub to sit high enough to not come into contact with the gas tank. I built a new "bracket" out of wood and used garage door gasket strips to seal it all up. I also replaced the rear decklid 4inchers with some 6.5inch MB Quarts. I am still running everything off the stock amp but the end result is still a large improvement over stock. After I replace the front speakers, I'll move onto upgrading the amp as well. Probably go with a multiple amp setup. My main goal though is to have everything retain the stock appearance from the outside. This means no amp racks or plexiglass in the trunk.