Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Black Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 04:40 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gapxguy
Having my frist two cars as stick shift, I never put transmission fluid into consideration when I bought my GS400. The previous owner said it just went through a major tune up - he's a 7th grade science teacher so I took his word for it. I found out that transmission fluid is suppose to be changed every 30k miles. Well the car was bought last year and last week I got an oil change, and the techician brought to my attention that my transmission fluid is black and that it's suppose to be a blood color. The car currently has 77K miles on it. So I'm thinking the fluid is from factory.

I immediately brought my car to my mechcanic to do a tranny flush. He told me that another Lexus was brought there last month with the same problem, the ATF gotten flushed and 3 weeks later the transmission went out. So now he doesn't want to flush my transmission since the transmission may not be accustomed to the new fluid, and told me to just run it until the transmission goes out and rebuild it. Any recommendations from you guys is appreciated, thanks in adavance....
i also cant believe that your mechanic would tell you run till it breaks

please do not go to this guy anymore

there has to be someone on CL that can recommend a trustworthy mechanic for you

go to toyota and ask for a complete trans flush

pay a little now or pay alot later
Old 04-07-05, 05:20 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't care what most mechanics say, I'd still look at it myself. In my 47 years, I've had to learn the hard way more than once. I remember the time I specifically requested Toyota brake pads and timing belt. Mechanic told me it would cost more (He is the local "Toyota" expert) and I said I didn't care.

He didn't realize my secretary's husband was the Mgr of the local Advance Auto. My secretary came back from lunch and told me I was getting my brakes and timing belt replaced. Hmmmm. She had lunch with her husband. When I went to pick up my car, I asked Mechanic about my Toyota parts. He said that they had just taken out the garbage. All my Toyota boxes that the Toyota stuff came in had just been taken to the dumpster. He lied. Most mechanics, like people, are honest and shoot you straight. Just be careful.

Make sure you use Toyota type IV.
Old 04-07-05, 06:21 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I still don't believe ATF, even if it has served for a lot of miles, can be black, and I'm not the only one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/48976-atf-change.html
Old 04-08-05, 08:27 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, I changed the filter and then a thorough flush at 120,000 through the hose before the radiator. I would almost guarantee that the fluid had not been changed prior to that. As nasty as it was, I could still see alot of red when held up to the light. It was nowhere near black. Of course it would look black from certain angles and in certain containers I guess.