Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Forget about the 3000 and 5000-mile oil change debate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 02:51 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forget about the 3000 and 5000-mile oil change debate!

I saw my cousins in a birthday party yesterday. One is a courier who drives 350 miles a day. The other one is a mechanic who owns his shop. The courier drives an older Toyota 4-cylinder pickup while the mechanic does all the work to it ever since.

The truck now has 700,000 miles plus and is still being driven daily. Mostly freeway miles.

Oil and filter are changed every 3 months using Mobil 1 synthetic. Converted to miles, the oil change happens roughly every 23,000 miles.

I feel good now knowing that 5,000 miles on a synthetic is really a good thing-- and 3,000 is almost a waste. Well, 5,000 is almost like a waste, too!
Old 03-28-05, 03:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that a lot of miles on that tough little Toyota truck. Your cousin
'truck will hit a million miles mark in 3 years...
Old 03-28-05, 03:36 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel good with changes at 5k hopefully protecting my baby!
Wow that's a lot of driving miles.
Old 03-28-05, 05:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

WOW that's racking 'em up.
Would be curious how the seat is holding up.
Old 03-29-05, 09:33 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Amsoil recommends 1 year or 25,000 mile oil change intervals with their ASL synthetic.
Old 03-29-05, 10:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with your 25,000-mile oil change. For those who routinely waste money on synthetic or other snake oil, listen to a man who put over 2 million miles on his car.

His advice on oil change? "Change your oil and filter regularly. "If there is any one maintenance activity that will extend the life of your car's engine, this is it. Considering the relatively low cost of oil and filters, this is the cheapest insurance policy your car will ever have." Also: "Use one brand of oil. "Surprises are nice at birthday parties, but you don't want them under your car's hood. Using one brand of oil assures uniform quality and no surprises." Did he switch to synthetic? NO! Did he extend oil change interval? NO!

For full story and his ten tips to make your car last: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020312-5.htm

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 03-29-05 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 04:43 AM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Good luck with your 25,000-mile oil change. For those who routinely waste money on synthetic or other snake oil, listen to a man who put over 2 million miles on his car.

His advice on oil change? "Change your oil and filter regularly. "If there is any one maintenance activity that will extend the life of your car's engine, this is it. Considering the relatively low cost of oil and filters, this is the cheapest insurance policy your car will ever have." Also: "Use one brand of oil. "Surprises are nice at birthday parties, but you don't want them under your car's hood. Using one brand of oil assures uniform quality and no surprises." Did he switch to synthetic? NO! Did he extend oil change interval? NO!

For full story and his ten tips to make your car last: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020312-5.htm

Hmm, I will say this, yet again, unless you test your oil, all this info here is someone opinions . Unless someone can see the data on a 7,500 mile change is better the a 10K for example, you are going at this blind….big time.

I test my oil, do you? I can also compare and contrast to other users of the same year. model etc.

Another Example, I can go 5K drain on my car and 15K drains on my car. A dino at 5K will be the same or there about as a PAO/eater oil at 10 to 15K. Unless you know the oil analysis, you are GUESSING. If you think all oils are the same, I suggest you do a little homework outside of CL. There is a huge diff in just the add pkg and never mind the base stock.

Good I am glad be has that many miles on his car. He must live in his car. Again there are better oils, if the user wants to look for it. Also he might be able to more bang for his dollar if he tested the same oil.

Last edited by gsxr1100; 03-30-05 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-30-05, 01:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsxr1100
Hmm, I will say this, yet again, unless you test your oil, all this info here is someone opinions . Unless someone can see the data on a 7,500 mile change is better the a 10K for example, you are going at this blind….big time.

I test my oil, do you? I can also compare and contrast to other users of the same year. model etc.
It's someone who drove his car for over 2 million miles. I'd sure like to know how many miles you got there. I have put over 100,000 miles on 3 PoS American cars with dino oil. The last one has 130,000 miles and the engine still runs well.

Do you test your own cooking corn oil? You should test that for genetically-engineered corns. It may be bad for your digestive system and make you grow things. How about test your bottle water, soda, red wine, for DDT, Dioxin, and other good stuff on earth.... I can go on, but I think you get my point. Why test your motor oil when you don't test what you eat or drink?

Besides, oil test does not give you a green light to keep driving on old oil. Sludge, impurities, and contaminants may not all dissolve in the oil. They settle on engine parts. So your engine could be in dire danger even though the oil test comes out fine.

Don't be obsessed with synthetic oil, extended-drain oil, super-duper micron oil filter, slick snake oil, etc. Those are just marketing ploys aimed to separate you from your money. Simply use a good quality dino oil and filter. Follow the car maker's recommended service interval. Your car will last longer than you care to keep it. Use your free time and money to do other things... like testing drinking water.

Hope this helps convert some people.
Old 03-30-05, 03:40 PM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

It's someone who drove his car for over 2 million miles. I'd sure like to know how many miles you got there. I have put over 100,000 miles on 3 PoS American cars with dino oil. The last one has 130,000 miles and the engine still runs well.

Do you test your own cooking corn oil? You should test that for genetically-engineered corns. It may be bad for your digestive system and make you grow things. How about test your bottle water, soda, red wine, for DDT, Dioxin, and other good stuff on earth.... I can go on, but I think you get my point. Why test your motor oil when you don't test what you eat or drink?

Besides, oil test does not give you a green light to keep driving on old oil. Sludge, impurities, and contaminants may not all dissolve in the oil. They settle on engine parts. So your engine could be in dire danger even though the oil test comes out fine.

Don't be obsessed with synthetic oil, extended-drain oil, super-duper micron oil filter, slick snake oil, etc. Those are just marketing ploys aimed to separate you from your money. Simply use a good quality dino oil and filter. Follow the car maker's recommended service interval. Your car will last longer than you care to keep it. Use your free time and money to do other things... like testing drinking water.

Hope this helps convert some people.
I have tested some waters and the bottled ones are very poor.

Oil tests DO give you are green light if you did then and understood them you would know this. There are certain areas to look at to see if you have a sludge issue or not..nothing new.

I am not going to comment on the other issues since if the oil touches the contaminates IT WILL ADHERE TO THE OIL and pick up these contaminates; and show up in PPM on the tests. Nothing new here.

Lets compare some tests? I have some, do you?

By your post you do not oil tests nor understand its capabilities. If you did, you would know some areas you posted on where incorrect. And there is much more power then seeing what the oil has left.

Lastly, synthetic oils are not snake oils nor am I obsessed with extended drains. I pay $45 for my 1-year drains and the oil tests are perfect. Don’t try that with dino boys and girls. I hope you have lots of free time since you will need it with dino. You better keep all the gallons of used oil and your several filters. I do use my free time watching others do more oil changes. He he he

Plus I save money using synthetic ! Marking ploys, man, you do not get it. Car last longer? Compared to what? Based on dino oil a synthetic will protect longer and better. Just look at the numbers from the oil.
Old 03-30-05, 04:06 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

The best test is to have a running high mileage car..... guess not. Oil can only hold so much contaminants. They will drop and settle on engine parts.

Maybe if you use a very expensive toothpaste, you'll only need to brush once a week. I use cheap Colgate and brush 3 times a day. Sure is a hassle. Like oil change, eh?

Sorry I couldn't help convince you. Good luck with your synthetic & long change interval. And hope Lexus will still honor the warranty should something go wrong.
Old 03-30-05, 04:23 PM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

The best test is to have a running high mileage car..... guess not. Oil can only hold so much contaminants. They will drop and settle on engine parts.

Maybe if you use a very expensive toothpaste, you'll only need to brush once a week. I use cheap Colgate and brush 3 times a day. Sure is a hassle. Like oil change, eh?

Sorry I couldn't help convince you. Good luck with your synthetic & long change interval. And hope Lexus will still honor the warranty should something go wrong.
You can have a high milage car and be a total mess.

If you have drop out in oil, you have bigger problems the oil.

Convince me.? You can't since I would have to down grade products (from a synthetic oil to dino). I go up, not down. Also Lexus will not have an issue since the oil need to be intergral to any issue. If so, they need to test the oil. Lexus will not even be an issue since my used oil is better then new Toyota oil! Again look at the numbers. My last oil change had better number then NEW Toyota (mobil) oil...take that to the dino bank.

Again it goes back to understanding basic oil testing.
Old 03-30-05, 07:22 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default What I dont hear , is how many miles did it have when the engine was overhauled.

The assumption is made that its the same engine, but if you put a million miles on a car, what internal work was done,
Valve job
Rings and bearings
Valve seals
Etc.
I put 280,000 miles on a 1985 Supra, but at 120,000 I had to add a quart of oil every 1200 miles.
It became a little thirstier with more miles.
At 280,000 miles, it definitely was burning oil, but still runing smootly.
It did not pass smog and I had to put in a new catalytic converter.
I got rid of the car because it needed a new ball joint and to get it into excellent condition would have been more $ than I wanted to spend factoring all the little stuff it needed.
So, these claims would be more believable if they shared a little info on what they did to the engine during those many miles. And, its also possible the body has a million miles, but the major components were changed.
Old 03-30-05, 08:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This has been well beaten.

Each car is an individual sample and engine wear will vary. However the owner/driver see fit to care for the car is entirely up to them. Some prefer dino, others synthetic....
Old 03-31-05, 04:00 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40

Each car is an individual sample and engine wear will vary. However the owner/driver see fit to care for the car is entirely up to them. Some prefer dino, others synthetic....
The oil discussion is older than dirt now.

My two cents worth is since most people in the United States will not drive a car for more than 3 or 4 years, they really dont care about the type of oil that is in there.

Any engine worth a darn will last 4 years using the cheapest oil and filter known to man.

Im really beginning to think all these additives, synthetics, high mileage oil, 3k interval oil changes and high priced filters are marketed to do what businesses do best: Take your money.

Im positive, Id bet my life on this one. Why would any company make any product that would prolong the life of your vehicle, reduce the needed maintenance, or help the consumer unless it was all geared to show a profit. I doubt its because they want the consumer to save money or care about how your product is performing.

Toyota will continue to increase market share no matter which oil we use, what coolant we use, how often we change the fluids, whether we change the fuel filter or not., or what spark plug we use. Some people will use the cheapest thing possible, others will have to use the highest, neatest, most exotic products on the market, some will not care one way or the other.

Why isnt there a separate forum just for motor oils and coolants? They should put it on a different website altogether.

Lots of people here care more about the motor oil in their cars than what type of junk we stick in our mouths. thanks for letting me vent, Im off to get a big bowl of ice cream and watch a X rated flick. I hope they dont have a discussion on whether they use regular or synthetic condoms.
Old 03-31-05, 04:01 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40

Now that was a practical reply. Good one.

Quick Reply: Forget about the 3000 and 5000-mile oil change debate!