Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Power Steering leak

Old 03-08-05, 09:46 PM
Bluesman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering leak

I took my car in for an oil change at a local Toyota dealer over the weekend. I was told the power steering rack was leaking. They estimated $920 to replace the steering rack and align it. I have not noticed any fluids leaking and I didn't notice any resistance or noise when I turned the wheel. Hence, I'm a little perplexed especially since this is such an expensive repair. I'm going to monitor the fluid levels. I was just wondering if anyone had comments\suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-05, 06:28 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i bought the car.. it had this leaking problem. i was talking to the service guy @ the local Toyota dealership down here and he said that that's a common problem. so, in the end.. i ended up getting it done and have no leaks anymore
Old 03-10-05, 07:06 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman
I took my car in for an oil change at a local Toyota dealer over the weekend. I was told the power steering rack was leaking. They estimated $920 to replace the steering rack and align it. I have not noticed any fluids leaking and I didn't notice any resistance or noise when I turned the wheel. Hence, I'm a little perplexed especially since this is such an expensive repair. I'm going to monitor the fluid levels. I was just wondering if anyone had comments\suggestions.

Thanks.
You're doing the right thing by monitoring the fluid level a little closer and not panicking. Why don't you get under the car and look for yourself? Maybe it's a just seeping a little bit. Good luck.
Old 03-10-05, 09:01 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go one step further and clean it up real good with some Non Chlorinated Brak-Kleen (green can). Check it again in a few days to see where exactly it's leaking and how bad it is.
Old 03-10-05, 11:06 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman
I took my car in for an oil change at a local Toyota dealer over the weekend. I was told the power steering rack was leaking. They estimated $920 to replace the steering rack
I'd hold off fixing it for now. Some rough shops spray on liquid and call it a leak. Wipe it clean and monitor the fluid level to make sure it is really leaking. Then you'll have time to shop around for best price.

Not sure which Lexus you have. A friend of mine has a '98 Avalon that had the same problem. $400 to replace the power steering at a local Toyota dealership. He was a bit pissed that the whole damn thing needed to be replaced just to fix a simple leak.