Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 01:08 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the regular updates Lexusk8. Hope it all works out fine...I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have your lex exhibit those symptoms.
Old 11-19-04, 01:15 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

hey man good luck with that. $100 seems like a bargain to repair the problems you describe. wish i had a warranty still
Old 11-19-04, 03:25 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Vic Nyce
hey man good luck with that. $100 seems like a bargain to repair the problems you describe. wish i had a warranty still
Thanks dude. Everyone here at work has been telling me how lucky I am to use extended warranty at a critical time like this

As of right now, the car is still at the dealership, with the transmission already removed from the car. A rebuild is out of the question as it is not truly cost-effective from a dealership perspective. The dealership and I have already spoken to the warranty company about this matter, and it looks like a new transmission replacement will be in line (as soon as the work authorization and paperwork b/w the dealership and the warranty company all go through). That may take a few days, hopefully sometime early next week. Turnaround time for this job is N/A at this moment (not worried since I have an ES loaner), but I'll be sure to keep my CL family informed.
Old 11-19-04, 07:42 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug, are they talking totally brand spankin' new tranny or a remanufactured unit.

If you get the brand spankin' new one, you just added at least 200k to the life of the car. Kinda like starting from go again.

good luck.

steviej
Old 11-22-04, 02:02 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

A new transmission would be awesome. I hope they do it! Any updates?
Old 11-22-04, 11:33 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

A brand new tranny would definately be sweet!!
Old 11-23-04, 09:53 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)

Originally posted by lexusk8
It all started about a few days ago when the outside temps have gotten close to freezing numbers, and I began to hear a faint buzzing sound under the hood in my '01 ES (w/ roughly 98,500 miles right now). This buzzing sound can obviously be heard from even inside the car when started up, and the sound would grow louder when driven upon each gear change shift points (i.e. idle to 1st, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.) To be honest, it really sounds like I'm running a supercharger or turbo in my ES
It's impossible to diagnose tranny problems over the Internet. Sometimes a weak alternator with failed diodes will give the "supercharger" whirring sound. And the tranny could shift funny because there isn't enough electricity to do the shifting. So who knows? It could be just a bad alternator.

You are really lucked out with extended warranty. Let the dealer worry about it.
Old 11-29-04, 09:50 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Unhappy Not much to update..

It has been 2 weeks since I left the car in the dealership's hands for diagnosing the transmission problem. I called up the warranty, and they told me that for some odd and unknown reason, the dealership cannot go through a teardown of the transmission in the ES (although the tranny is already removed) And they're telling me that they're going to have to bring the car to another shop or repair facility to finish the teardown process. The warranty company has emphasized that they won't go through the warranty claim for the transmission work until the teardown is verified.

As a loyal customer for that dealership, I'm already quite p***ed about the lag in this process. Everyone's telling me things should be OK as long as all the tranny work goes through OK, but waiting for 2 weeks and not hearing any news of work coverage for my car is absolutely ridiculous. I've tried calling the service advisor a dozen times, but he's never at his desk. I'm considering calling up Lexus National about this, but I'm not sure how much assistance they can provide based on a non-Lexus extended warranty matter. So to say the least, I feel like I'm lost in the middle of an island, and not sure what to do
Old 11-29-04, 09:59 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Damn thats rough...from past experience I know that you have to raise hell to be noticed at the dealerships unless the service manager knows you quite well. I doubt if lexus national will be able to provide much guidance on the non-lexus warranty issue...just hang in there and keep pushing...and please keep us updated. Good luck!
Old 11-29-04, 05:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go stand in the doorway of his office with a complaint form to the BBB and the phone number of your local news station's consumer reporter. That will get you noticed.

Just keep enjoying their loaner vehicle.

steviej
Old 11-29-04, 07:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by steviej
Go stand in the doorway of his office with a complaint form to the BBB and the phone number of your local news station's consumer reporter. That will get you noticed.

Just keep enjoying their loaner vehicle.

steviej
agreed, local media will eat up stuff like this...they do it every day!
Old 12-01-04, 01:17 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed! IT will make them move their butts faster at least.
Old 12-02-04, 05:24 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default My warranty company

BTW for those who are curious, my extended warranty company is called Heritage Warranty (based in Nebraska).

After doing a little detective work, I found out that this warranty company has gotten a bad rap in the past, namely described in this link: http://www.networkdimension.com/heri...tinsurance.htm

Old 12-07-04, 07:45 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Good news + bad news

The dealership finally was able to speak with the warranty company today; it has been hell trying to deal with this aftermarket warranty since the start of the tranny issue. Unfortunately the news I received from the dealership was not the greatest : The warranty company won't pay for a brand-new, warranty covered transmission on my ES. Instead, they will pay a certain amount of $$$ towards a Lexus remanufactured transmission, and I will end up covering the difference. I know my dealership tried their hardest to fight for a new transmission in the last 3 weeks, but the reality is that it is generally a hard sell with an aftermarket warranty company. They work almost like an insurance company, one who is willing to lowball the affected item(s).

At any rate, the transmission will be eventually be replaced, but not with a new one like I had hoped for I may have to suck this one up and let the dealership handle the tranny work My dealership and I will come up with a firm plan and figures for the work on my transmission within the next 2 days, so I will keep this posted.
Old 12-07-04, 07:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

call a lawyer, thats bull****.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)