Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Decided to Remove my K & N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 02:36 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TDR and the Ford diesel had the same issue about 4 years ago. It came down to a air filter war. Just like Ford vs Chevy or regualr oil vs synthetic.

I had an oil glazzed in my ford powerstroke diesel and I had to remove it, when I had it. It caused way to manu isses due to the large amount of air diesel need.

I do not tell people to use them but people do what they want; which they are can do 100%. they make the call.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-27-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 10:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Harrier, if this is such a mass problem, why isn't K & N getting their butts sued off for damage to their cars? I'm certain that the overwelming majority if K & N air filter customers are quite happy with their filters performance & will continue to use them in the future! I will Your owners manual says nothing about JD? That's too bad! mine suggests either JD or Southern Comfort! Hardly a good comparisn
Old 06-28-04, 02:49 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i have to agree, If all of these people are going through their MAF units and showing horrendous oil analysis test and what not, why hasn't there been a class-action lawsuit? This is the state of Caulifornia. I think the K&N is great as along as you maintain it and don't go overkill on the oil cleaning like most people do.
Old 06-28-04, 01:42 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Bingo- The loophole is that many people over oil them and hence K&N, Amsoil etc just says it was the customers fault, not the product. I never had MF sensors fail but I did have a few Air temp sensors and a BARO senser go bad when using an oil glazzed air filter. I even oiled less by my diesel pulled a huge amount of air.

After removing it, no problems for additional 65K miles till I sold it. Plus my silicone levels were very high around 25 to 30 PPM. After going back to paper only about 5 to 8.
Old 06-29-04, 10:58 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I realized also is that my oil gets dirtier/darker faster using the K & N as opposed to stock filter. I've always wondered that after using K & N, but could never put a finger on the cause. (I pass thru dusty dirt roads)

There's an old saying, "An air filter is one of the best pieces of insurance you can buy for your engine."
Old 06-29-04, 11:39 PM
saber
Pole Position

Using a factory original Toyota air filter minimizes the risk of dirt getting into the engine in more ways than one.

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/airfilterd.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/airfilterc.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/airfilterb.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/airfiltera.jpg

Aftermarket air filters can have unexpected problems like this: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg that allow unfiltered air into the engine.
Old 06-30-04, 09:57 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

K & N Air filters, always a hot topic, unless you are an engineer who specifies air filters for any major automotive manufacturerer. 99.5% of them ignore K & N, but, what could they possibly know that K & N's ace marketing/advertising department doesn't?

Here's my K & N Air Filter high performance test.

1. Upon seeing an installed K & N Air Filter, remove the K & N Air Filter ASAP.

2. Hold it about 12" above any appropriately sized waste receptacle.

3. Open your hand.

4. If the filter falls into the receptacle, it passed the test, then go to step 6

5. If the filter fails to fall into the waste receptacle, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it does, then go to step 6

6. Buy a new OEM paper air filter and install it.

Chumley
Old 06-30-04, 09:59 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

very cute
Old 07-01-04, 01:55 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Whatever! There is a pretty heated debate going on in the LOC as well on the same subject. It's starting to get old now.
Old 07-01-04, 02:00 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
Whatever! There is a pretty heated debate going on in the LOC as well on the same subject. It's starting to get old now.
you mean the thread's topic getting old?
Old 07-01-04, 03:45 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

This is always a hot topic no matter what forum. But if seems like people like them and some do not. I do not since I have had issues when using in my cars/trucks; however, I hope this does not turn into a buy original Toyota air filters for the best performace. There are many very good air filters (paper) out there. Unless Toyota has some patented techology on there air filters, no need to buy OEM. Just do some homework.
Old 07-01-04, 04:56 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I'm courious what opinions are on the new Fram "Air Hog" I think it's called. Like others who are "pro" K & N, I will not be removing mine ANY time soon........I re-oil it as per the exact K & N instructions & no problems & I'm not expecting any. I doubt the "K & N bashing" is going to change anybody's minds who use them & are happy with them. Anybody that's "anti K & N" care to ask the company how many engines they have replaced or had to pay big sums of cash for repairs? Cause if it's that bad as people say, wouldn't it be in K & N's best intrest to issue a recall? IE: like Ford & Firestone with the Explorer fiasco? I say that because nobody has proven to us that a K & N air filter used under "normal" operating conditions has caused ANY damage to any component....we've had a few confess they "over oiled" them messing up sensors but that's about it.
Old 07-01-04, 07:14 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I am not anti-K&N but I have used a K&N on my Powerstroke diesel and Amsoil. Both caused problems down the road. Major no, but cost me more then the stupid filter. When I have to pay over $90 to fix 2 sensors because of a $35 air filter, say good bye to the air filter. Went back to paper and the sensors performed as they were designed and my elevated levels went back to normal.

I have not heard of engine failures but I have seen in my tests results elevated levels and these levels decreased after going back to paper filters. For my application, oil-glazed filter had negative results, which cost me dollars. Now, I use a K&N in my motorcycle since I have no sensors, no emissions and the rpm are very high. The oil is not in there long enough to cause a problem.

From what I have seen a recall is usually for safety and usually backed by National Highway Safety Board. Again, all these companies have to do is say did you follow the instructions for oiling? Even then, prove it to them that it was oiled correctly? Prove the car was running at 100%. Is there a base line on this engine? Anytime a company puts requirements in the customer’s hands, stuff will get messed up. They should sell a kit that has the correct amount of oil that is needed and call it a day.
Old 07-01-04, 07:24 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what are the added benefits of KnN?

Reusable (but it would take 10-15 air filter changers to break even)
More power (1? 2? 3? horsepower? can you feel that?)

what else is the added benefit? maybe i'm missing something.
Old 07-01-04, 08:16 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by mburnickas
There are many very good air filters (paper) out there. Unless Toyota has some patented techology on there air filters, no need to buy OEM. Just do some homework.
I've heard Wix brand air filters are good. They're made in Korea and you can get them at Oreilly Auto Parts. I've heard good reports from them. I currently have OEM on my ES, Wix on my GS and Fram (when I didn't know any better) on my Ford Pickup. I am not a big fan of Fram oil filters, but the Fram Air filter seems to be holding up.

Quick Reply: Decided to Remove my K & N Filter