Black semi-aniline leather with Black wood trim
  • Active Height Control
  • Rear-seat entertainment
  • Appearance Package
  • 22" Wheels
  • Cargo Net
  • Key Gloves
  • Roof Cross-bars
$20k Markup on the car from sticker price. This wasn't negotiable they had many buyers waiting. Some willing to put up to $50k over MSRP. They apparently will markup the next incoming one $40k. It came down to being first to show up at the dealership when the car status turned from allocated to "in transit". This is Lexus of Fremont in CA. Shame on them for marking up the car.

Finance manager attempted to charge the following optional charges:
  • Nitrogen inflated tires: $89
  • Door edge guard (clear shield): $299
  • 96 month(8 year)/100k miles extended warranty: $6898
  • 48 month (4 year)/60k miles Lexus service plan: $3998
  • PWC Executive Shield dent protection: $599 (unsure on this might have been $699)

After negotiation I ended up with the following:
  • Nitrogen inflated tires: Free
  • Door edge guard (clear shield): Free
  • 96 month(8 year)/100k miles extended warranty: $4638
  • 48 month (4 year)/60k miles Lexus service plan: $3255
  • PWC Executive Shield dent protection: Declined

I have yet to read the fine print on the warranty/extended service but the are 100% cancellable so will find the time to do so and make a determination within the time limit to cancel for free if I choose to. Service plan is overpriced for sure but does include the expensive 60k service that includes driveshaft lubrication amongst other things. In this case I'm really only paying to have a Lexus loaner for every service. Otherwise I'd just have the car serviced at a Toyota dealer for cheaper as that is a more convenient location to me.

Negotiation process on aforementioned service/warranty plans:
  • Initially accepted all warranties when in the salesman's office.
  • These are showed on an iPad and you can remove them yourself with a tap on the screen so after a few moments I choose to remove them all.
  • Salesman tried to convince me to keep them, told me he tried to give me a good deal on them.
  • I asked for $1k off the warranty, which was granted.
  • Moved to finance manager's office.
  • Finance manager informs me that Executive shield dent protection is on all the cars they sell. Shows me there is a nitrogen inflation charge at the same time.
  • I tell him I will get up and deflate the tires myself so no nitrogen is in them if I have to. He agrees to remove that charge. Exact wording was: "That is the most bull**** charge in existence. It does nothing for me whatsoever. I'll come back in 5 minutes after deflating them if I have to. If you charge me for it we don't have a deal."
  • I then told him I'm not taking the Executive shield. He said they put it on all the cars. I replied "well you're not putting it on this one".
  • He said he can't remove it but will deduct it from the warranty price. Warranty goes down another $600.
  • I realize they are charging $299 for the "clear shield" which is the door edge film. Lexus installs this at factory on some cars for $90 and it's called the "3M Door edge film".
  • I say "let's go see if the film is on the car" (I specifically asked my salesperson not to install this as I was considering wrapping the car and don't want to wrap over it)
  • We walk to the car and it turns out it isn't on the car and they are trying to charge for it!
  • I then proceed to inform him that they charged me $299 for it on my previous car purchase which had it listed as a $90 factory installed option on the window sticker. Which essentially means they stole $300+tax from me at my last purchase. I was able to prove this with the previous invoice + window sticker. I ask for that $330 to be deducted from the car price. I tell them that "given this obvious attempt to STEAL from me in an act of thievery they will not charge for the clear shield and install it for free at my convenience"
  • They show me a new optional accessories price sheet and I say "ok". At this point I've done nothing to address the service contract price.
  • He types in a few things at the computer. While he's doing this I say: "You know what, just take both the service plan and warranty off, oh and and the executive shield."
  • He proceeds after arguing a short 20 seconds to remove them from the invoice. Pretty much during this time I'm telling him "it's a Tundra engine, I'll just go to Toyota it'll be cheaper".
  • Salesman starts texting me to take the warranty and that it's worth it. Says he will help me cancel them if I have to.
  • Finance manager says "I can take another $1k off the warranty, we only make $500 off it then"
  • I reply and say "Perfect. you can then reduce it by $1250 and you only make $250 on it"
  • He replies and says "I guess $250 is better than nothing". Warranty is now back on at the final price of $4638
  • I ask the salesman to retrieve the owner's manual from the car for me and begin looking at the maintenance schedule. I point out the 60k mile service is the big one and ask him what price he can give me if he drops the service term to 3.5years/55k. Price comes out to be $3255. I tell him I'll take it if he can do 4yr/60k for that price and he agreed to it. Final price on Lexus service plan $3255.
I asked a bunch of other questions about what's excluded from warranty, etc. They don't seem to know it that well so I'll rely on reading the fine print myself. At the price point they gave it to me for a $109k car I feel it's not too horrible. One of my considerations for keeping it is unknown reliability of the twin turbo engine over time, especially given what's happening with the Wastegates on some of the Tundras. Interested in hearing other folks' thoughts on this as I still have the option to cancel them.

Pictures:

Window Sticker

This is where the front/rear lockers would be on a Japanese off-road version.

Cabin Illumination. Rear + Feet zones available if scrolled down.

Last edited by Movelexus; 02-18-22 at 09:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Movelexus:
E46CT (04-01-22), hzhao (02-24-22), Llexty (02-19-22), Trexus (05-02-23)
Old 02-18-22, 08:06 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Received 185 Likes on 81 Posts

Future Content
Old 02-18-22, 08:09 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Future content
Old 02-18-22, 08:11 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

More content TBD
Old 02-18-22, 08:12 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Future content.
Old 02-18-22, 08:49 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,039 Posts

So did they at least throw in a bottle of Vaseline with the 20k markup?
The following users liked this post:
VentoGT (02-21-22)
Old 02-18-22, 08:56 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
So did they at least throw in a bottle of Vaseline with the 20k markup?
They should, here's an idea of the opportunity cost on this car.

Old 02-18-22, 09:36 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Beautiful ride, would love to have one in our fleet in a few years!
Old 02-19-22, 08:35 AM
Cadusom
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking ride, mostly how I'd spec it minus the RSE but not sure I'll have any control over that. If they really had people waiting to pay $50k over why would they "let" you buy it at $20k over, much less negotiate any of the dealer profit items?
Old 02-19-22, 10:34 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Cadusom
Nice looking ride, mostly how I'd spec it minus the RSE but not sure I'll have any control over that. If they really had people waiting to pay $50k over why would they "let" you buy it at $20k over, much less negotiate any of the dealer profit items?
Imo, and I could be wrong...he got hammered and apparently didn't have an issue with it.
Ftcgsf (02-27-22)
Old 02-19-22, 01:04 PM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hankinid
Imo, and I could be wrong...he got hammered and apparently didn't have an issue with it.
Any markup means being hammered hard. Could’ve waited for one at MSRP from the other dealer in the area with a huge waitlist. Who knows how long that’s going to take. Other dealers I’ve inquired to in a 300 mile radius are marking up or selling MSRP to zip codes near them.

As long as my car purchases respect the 5% rule I’m fine with it in the end. I’m sure many will get better deals and I’m sure the 2023 model will be nicer with potential pano roof, captain chairs in the 2nd row for luxury trim. Possibly even a long wheelbase version based off the sequoia. They also need the offroad version to reach the NA market.
vraa (02-20-22)
Old 02-21-22, 03:03 AM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Also this.

https://www.motor1.com/news/568495/l...ery-delay/amp/

Both other dealers from which I cancelled deposits after taking delivery said they had allocation but then those allocations were cancelled. They indicate this is a problem for Japan but I’m sure this will also affect the US market and availability won’t be what we’d like to see for some time.
Old 02-21-22, 08:47 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Movelexus
Both other dealers from which I cancelled deposits after taking delivery said they had allocation but then those allocations were cancelled. They indicate this is a problem for Japan but I’m sure this will also affect the US market and availability won’t be what we’d like to see for some time.
Allocations are based only on the prior year's sales of a particular model at a particular dealer.

Find a dealer that moves more of a given model and you'll find a larger allocation.

Last edited by hankinid; 02-21-22 at 02:20 PM.
vraa (02-21-22)
Old 02-27-22, 06:46 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Movelexus
Future Content
No doubt the LX 570 or The LX 600 are great vehicles, But to pay $ 20,000.00 over = absolute fail and a total idiot. You would've been much farther ahead to pick up a lightly used LX 570 2021 for around $ 92,000.00. No wonder we have a inflation problem in this country.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftcgsf:
GS300ken (03-29-22), LexRuger (07-20-22)
Old 02-28-22, 03:48 AM
Movelexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
No doubt the LX 570 or The LX 600 are great vehicles, But to pay $ 20,000.00 over = absolute fail and a total idiot. You would've been much farther ahead to pick up a lightly used LX 570 2021 for around $ 92,000.00. No wonder we have a inflation problem in this country.
I already had a truck of the previous platform. Very happy with the upgrade. You can’t be “farther ahead” by purchasing a vehicle. Folks are paying 150k over MSRP for G-wagens… pretty sure they aren’t suffering. This is basic supply and demand. There are waitlists for those willing to wait. If you’re budget concerned why would you even for shop one of these. The 2023 sequoia looks nice and will be much cheaper!
The following 2 users liked this post by Movelexus:
E46CT (04-01-22), vraa (02-28-22)

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Purchase & Delivery