LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 02:57 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Blind spot

I bought my 2018 LX in October 2017. I have had a 4 or 5 close calls with cross traffic, crossing in front of me, from right to left, cars which seemed to appear out of nowhere, especially when I am pulling out onto cross streets with a median. I do not recall this happening with my 2008 LX. As near as I can tell, the passenger side windshield pillars and side mirrors are identical, in the two vehicles, except for the color. 2008 pillar was dark gray, 2018 is tan. I just had a complete eye exam from my ophthalmologist, no changes in my eyes from last exam, a year ago. I am wondering if any other LX drivers are experiencing this problem. Could the lighter color pillar be distracting my vision?

I am no spring chicken (78), I had cataract surgery several years ago (20/20) and am accident free for many years. The only other change that I can think of is the lower first gear ration, which has made that ponderous LX much more responsive from the start. Of course, I have increased my awareness of cross traffic and check at least 3 times. I am looking for LX drivers who may have had similar experiences, who might have an explanation, no matter how far-fetched. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-04-18, 04:10 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm much younger, 75, but I too find vision from the right side rather restricted. I've decided that it is because the A pillar is fattened up to hold the air bags, but that may or may not be the case.
The following users liked this post:
mikeivan (06-05-18)
Old 06-04-18, 04:39 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

As someone who lived most time outside the USA, I am quite unhappy that USA is the only country in the world which does not allow convex outside mirrors on the driver's side and only very limited convex mirrors on the passenger's side. Yes, the objects in the mirror are smaller but there are almost no blind spots and even backing up is much easier.

Normally, I would try to replace the US mirrors with European convex versions which is not probably legal but works much better. But Lexus/Toyota now use pretty good blind spot monitor so I can live with these US mirrors. I never had any problems (but of course, you cannot rely completely on this piece of electronics, it's just an additional safety feature).
Old 06-05-18, 02:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You can buy the stick on convex mirrors at any auto parts store or Wally Mart and stick them on. I have them on all of my vehicles and works well.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
As someone who lived most time outside the USA, I am quite unhappy that USA is the only country in the world which does not allow convex outside mirrors on the driver's side and only very limited convex mirrors on the passenger's side. Yes, the objects in the mirror are smaller but there are almost no blind spots and even backing up is much easier.

Normally, I would try to replace the US mirrors with European convex versions which is not probably legal but works much better. But Lexus/Toyota now use pretty good blind spot monitor so I can live with these US mirrors. I never had any problems (but of course, you cannot rely completely on this piece of electronics, it's just an additional safety feature).