LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

made iphone video work with hdmi and aux port for rear entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 10:37 PM
feixiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default made iphone video work with hdmi and aux port for rear entertainment system

After some research and try and error, finally i was able to watch iphone (6s plus) video on 2017 Lx570 rear entertainment system. Thought I'd share how I did it, hopefully some people will find it useful.

There are two interfaces enabling you watch your iphone video on rear seat screen: HDMI and 4 pole aux port. It's relatively easy to get HDMI work. You need:
1. Apple lightning digital av to HDMI adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter).

2. HDMI cable.

Basically, you connect one end of lightning adapter to your iphone and the other end to HDMI cable, and then plug HDMI cable to HDMI interface in your car, and boom you have your iphone screen projected to rear seat screen. (of course you need to select HDMI source on your remote control)

It's a bit tricky to get aux port to work as pin layout for 4 pole aux is not standard and you have to get the right 4 pole aux to RCA cable to make it work. Following is what I have
1. Apple lightning digital av to HDMI adapter
2. HDMI cable
3. HDMI to RCA adapter cable ( I bought iSimple ISHD01 MediaLinx HDMI To Composite Video/Audio Adapter Cable on amazon)

4. A coupler (I bought Cmple 3-RCA Jacks to 3-RCA Jacks Coupler White/Red/Yellow on amazon)

5. RCA to 3.5MM 4 pole aux cable.

Blackpoint 3.5mm 4C Male to 3 RCA Male bought from Frys

The critical component is the last one. I bought several different 3.5MM 4 pole aux to RCA cables from Frys and Amazon, only following one bought from Frys worked because of different pin layouts: Blackpoint 3.5mm 4C Male to 3 RCA Male (http://www.frys.com/product/7698107). Even for this one, the pin layout is not exactly the same as the one required by Lexus aux port. I had to shuffle around different RCA colors to make it work, see below image, RCA from component 3 (bottom) is connected with RCA from component 5 (upper) through a coupler, i.e. component 4. You have to make sure the red from upper RCA match yellow from below RCA, yellow and white from upper RCA can be switched as they carry left/right audio signal. After you connect everything together, you have your iphone screen on rear seat screen. However the resolution is not as good as HDMI interface and the screen size is smaller.

Btw, this works for both rear aux and front aux port.

connect two RCA cables through a coupler

Last edited by feixiong; 05-24-17 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 10:03 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

So the last set up can be play video up front and rear screens at the same time?
Old 05-25-17, 06:58 PM
feixiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried playing video in the front and rear screen at the same time through front and rear aux port respectively (my guess is that it should work) , but i did try playing video disc in the front screen and playing iphone video at rear through rear aux port. It seems all three screens (one in the front and two at rear) can take video inputs independently. Two rear screens can take input from HDMI, front and rear aux, and front screen from front aux port.
The following users liked this post:
caha14 (05-27-17)
Old 06-09-17, 10:48 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have gotten my Dell Latitude e7240 to work with hdmi to hdmi, but I can't get any media player to work with hdmi. Has anyone had success with a media player via hdmi? The Lexus hdmi can only understand 576 NTSC max. but the screen can actually display 720p. I had one of those Micca Speck G2 Player, and it would not negotiate with Lexus hdmi. Roku 4 or ultra was a no go too.