GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ViasTech SL2iV and iPhone 4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 09:47 AM
duggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ViasTech SL2iV and iPhone 4?

I have an 07 GS350 with navi no ML. I am interested in the SL2iV which includes video and sound. I'm sure a lot of you guys have this module installed already. My questions is that how is the integration with the iPhone 4? As some of you maybe aware of, Netflix just launched an app for the iPhone OS4 and I was wondering if it would play Netflix natively on the navi screen? I know that it will play YouTube videos.

Chime in!
Old 09-16-10, 05:10 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The iPhone 4 works better than my old iPhone 3G with the SL2Vi. I'm not too familiar with the Netflix app since I don't have a Netflix subscription, but if it has integrated video-out in the application (like the iPod and some other apps) it's just as simple as plugging it in. If not, you have to jailbreak it so that all your applications (like games) also output to video. Here's an old thread using my 3G: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gation-gs.html

Now if I can only find a nice mount that unobtrusive. I can be video chatting on the nav screen like Michael Knight talking to Devon on Knight Rider... =D

Last edited by mysteryan; 09-16-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 05:56 AM
duggy
Rookie

Ryan,

I followed some suggestions on your thread as I went through it last night. I have a buddy with a 2IS and he has SL2Vi. We tried it with my iPhone 4 iOS 4.01 with Cydia installed. I downloaded a couple of programs that were said to enable this feature of TV video out, namely two programs by the name of Resupported 4, and TVOut2 Mirror TVOut. Seems as if both of these programs are not working as advertised on their page.

There was one thing that my buddy told me, that he never setup the Vias unit completely. He installed it himself and he has notified me that the iPod feature started working so he quit the install right there and then.
Old 09-17-10, 10:31 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up SL2iC instead. Much better.
Old 09-17-10, 11:11 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by duggy
Ryan,

I followed some suggestions on your thread as I went through it last night. I have a buddy with a 2IS and he has SL2Vi. We tried it with my iPhone 4 iOS 4.01 with Cydia installed. I downloaded a couple of programs that were said to enable this feature of TV video out, namely two programs by the name of Resupported 4, and TVOut2 Mirror TVOut. Seems as if both of these programs are not working as advertised on their page.

There was one thing that my buddy told me, that he never setup the Vias unit completely. He installed it himself and he has notified me that the iPod feature started working so he quit the install right there and then.
Did he ever get the video working period (i.e play videos from ipod using the integrated tv-out)? If not, he might have not installed the Vais system correctly by plugging in the video cable to the DVD port in the back of the nav screen.
Old 09-17-10, 12:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Did he ever get the video working period (i.e play videos from ipod using the integrated tv-out)? If not, he might have not installed the Vais system correctly by plugging in the video cable to the DVD port in the back of the nav screen.
or not initialized correctly
Old 09-17-10, 12:18 PM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
Look up SL2iC instead. Much better.
Any reasons to explain why it's better? It's just the iPod interface that is different, which I won't use THAT much. This will be an overglorified iPhone charger, method to play videos on the Nav, and to stream my Pandora in the car

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Yes, but he has to mess with initializing the CD (switching from CD to FM radio back to CD) and also has to sometimes unplug and plug the phone back in. Youtube works without issue but I have not tried videos from the actual iPod app. Do you guys have any ideas on what to install to get TV OUT for IOS4?
Old 09-17-10, 12:19 PM
duggy
Rookie

Also wanted to add in, the sound plays without issue. It's the video from the Netflix app that is not working correctly. Youtube works SOMETIMES, and at other times it does not.
Old 09-17-10, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it shouldn't work sometimes, seems like the initialization was not done correctly into MP3 mode. you said it's 2is, does it have mark levinson? to initialize you don't need to switching between cd and fm, it's just dip switches on the unit itself
Old 09-17-10, 12:49 PM
duggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
it shouldn't work sometimes, seems like the initialization was not done correctly into MP3 mode. you said it's 2is, does it have mark levinson? to initialize you don't need to switching between cd and fm, it's just dip switches on the unit itself
No it does not have ML.
Old 09-17-10, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok i definitely think the programming was done wrong or unit is defective. i have installed a lot of sl2vi and never a problem. p4 might be tricky to use sometimes
Old 09-17-10, 05:07 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

I use TVOut2 Mirror. On the occasions Youtube works, it should be initialized correctly and your Netflix should work. If not, the TV-Out has a setting in the app for "video mode" for apps that are having problems with it. Usually I don't encounter any problems of that nature. I've tried non-subscription live streaming apps like i.TV and it works perfectly except that video quality is crap on the free apps. I don't use Resupported though, I just have to hit dismiss when it says it's not a genuine Apple cable and it works, but that's just a convenience app.

SL2iC doesn't seem to be much better though. It looks to be pretty much the same except that it uses iOS 4's integrated video out for ipod display only. It'll be a nice solution for those that have bone stock iPhones, but you don't really need it if you can output absolutely everything including the iPod screen on a jailbroken iPhone/Touch.
Old 09-17-10, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, fact is most people with iphone/itouch they are bone stock anyway. don't want to go into details, but the sl2ic will have a big advantage for one particular group of leuxs owners
Old 09-19-10, 11:50 AM
duggy
Rookie

I ordered the SL2 Friday so it should be here on Tuesday. We will see how this works out.

Thanks,
Old 09-21-10, 09:02 PM
duggy
Rookie

mysteryan - maybe it's possible you can assist me. I installed the SL2iV and hooked up everything today. I setup CD emulation mode and the audio plays perfectly fine in ipod mode and DVD video mode but there are two issues. My car is an 07 GS530 with Nav and no ML. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS4 4.01.

1) The ipod text is not being shown and I am still able to contorl my phone through the iphone itself (skipping songs, using hte ipod feature, etc). Wasn't I suppsoed to be able to control my iphone through the screen? If I press next song on the steering wheel it advances fine but shouldn't there be CD text on the screen? I tried to toggle simple mode and non-simple mode but this only changed the screen on the iPhone to "Accessory connected" with a white screen.

2) the video does not output. I installed TVout2TV and it does not work as advertised. Also tried Resupported 4 (Since I have an iPhone 4 with 4.01 iOS) and that does not work also. I tried Youtube and Netflix, and the audio does play but there is no video on the nav screen, only on the iPhone screen. I have tried to toggle all modes in TVout2TV but this does not enable anything to work. One thing that might be helpful is that initially when I turned the car on, I saw "DVD HINT!" screen but I do not see that any further. Also the iPhone's ipod video does not display on the screen also.
This is definitely weird since you said you were able to get everything working. Can you point me in the right direction? This is the only reason I spent $350 on this module. It is very very pricey! Thanks!

Quick Reply: ViasTech SL2iV and iPhone 4?