LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Has anyone notice the seat side support issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 11:25 AM
Lightzxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone notice the seat side support issue?

After driving my new LX after a while, I realized that the side support of the driver/passenger side is getting many folds, so I tapped the folded parts to check, found out the shape of the fill inside the seat is changed creating a bump underneath the sides, therefore the leather above the bump would likely having more friction to cause faster deteriorating. Comparing to Mercedes or BMW, I think their seats is more "durable" with the stable filling to keep the leather seat in shape.

Since the semi aniline leather is not that tough, I wonder is there any method to maintaining the lx's seat in order to keep it in a good condition?
Old 04-06-17, 12:22 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

About all you can do is use something to keep it moisturized. It will show wear in time.

The leather is really coated so there is no way that a saddle soap does any good, just need to keep it clean.

I have never had any of the fill move under the leather, I would bring that to the attention of the dealer at service.

I do not think this is a widespread issue as you would be seeing it posted here.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-07-17 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 02:14 PM
Lightzxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
About all you can do is use something to keep it moisturized. It will show wear in time.

The leather is really coated so there is no way that a saddle soap does any good, just need to keep it clean.

I have never had any of the fill moves under the leather, I would bring that to the attention of the dealer at service.

I do not think this is a widespread issue as you could be we would be seeing it posted here.
I am planning to do a leather protection for all the leather interior because it's red and easy to spot the stain.

Somehow, the fill shape changed a bit and the fill moved a bit insides the leather and changed under the leather so I think I might mention this to the service department for the new car inspection service then. Thanks for noticing that man.
Old 04-06-17, 10:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I thought these seats are injection molded in one piece similar in the RCF seats. Maybe not true? IDK.

Originally Posted by Lightzxn
I am planning to do a leather protection for all the leather interior because it's red and easy to spot the stain.

Somehow, the fill shape changed a bit and the fill moved a bit insides the leather and changed under the leather so I think I might mention this to the service department for the new car inspection service then. Thanks for noticing that man.
Old 04-07-17, 11:44 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you attach some pictures to show us what you are seeing? I find the LX seats to be relatively comfortable for a truck, but I also like my BMW 7 seats too. Both are semi-aniline and for an average person like me, both seats are comfortable.

Keep in mind that pigmented leather is much more durable than semi-aniline. But even in the semi-aniline, my BMW "seems" to have thicker leather compared to the Lexus LX. Semi-aniline is much easier to scratch and wear, but it does feel nicer too. Another think on the LX, the color is very delicate. I tried to wipe it down with a ph neutral household cleaner because I was lazy at the moment, and I could see red hues on my white towel. I immediately stopped.
Old 04-08-17, 09:56 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Can you attach some pictures to show us what you are seeing?
Echo that!

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Another think on the LX, the color is very delicate. I tried to wipe it down with a ph neutral household cleaner because I was lazy at the moment, and I could see red hues on my white towel. I immediately stopped.
I have historically used Lexol or Zaino cleaner with no issues, but you are giving me a lot of pause... Funny enough, with this particular vehicle and interior color, I have been seriously considering doing just what "the book" says: wiping with a very mild Woolite solution and calling it a day, instead of doing my usual cleaning/conditioning routine (acknowledging the conditioner doesn't technically penetrate coated leather, anyway).

To your point on semi-aniline leather, I've had it twice on two vehicles: LS and LX. Jury is out on the red LX interior, since it's a month old. LS leather has been good on both the 460L and 600hL. However, the wear and discoloration on the driver's seat on the 2010 LX left much to be desired. Yes, it was beige, but so was our Accord with twice the mileage, and nothing like this ever happened. I was not happy - at all - with the quality of the leather in our previous LX.