LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

High miles and price - 2008 LX

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 08:45 AM
teambell
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High miles and price - 2008 LX

Question about high miles > I am looking at a 2008 LX570 with 201K and exceptional maintenance records. All done at the same dealership and I reviewed the entire history. The owners even paid for everything suggested by the SA, everytime...
I am concerned about the shocks but the techs told me that they are not the conventional "shock" but just a live hydraulic ram so they are not replaced like you might a regular shock with over 200k miles. The service history shows that it tends to eat brakes pads. needs resurfacing periodically but the miles will mean more brakes.
Water pump has been done, AHC is working well and car drives solid.
Anything else come to mind for me to check? They are asking $24.5K, I am thinking more like $20K. Any thoughts on price?
Old 11-03-16, 10:46 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
I am concerned about the shocks but the techs told me that they are not the conventional "shock" but just a live hydraulic ram so they are not replaced like you might a regular shock with over 200k miles. The service history shows that it tends to eat brakes pads. needs resurfacing periodically but the miles will mean more brakes.
Water pump has been done, AHC is working well and car drives solid.
Anything else come to mind for me to check? They are asking $24.5K, I am thinking more like $20K. Any thoughts on price?
Your "techs" just served you a plate of crap on a bun, to be nice.

AHC shocks are pressurized by the AHC system. They wear out over time just like regular shocks. First evidence of wear is usually an oil fog coating you'll see at the top of the lower section of the shock. They do not need replacement until pressure on the shock goes below Toyota specs. Techs can read pressure on all 4 corners by connecting the truck to the Toyota Information System. Takes about 5 minutes. That said, the AHC should have been flushed every 60K miles. When the fluid is new, it looks like light real maple syrup. I'd ask dealer for a printout showing pressures and use that to negotiate, especially if the fluid looks dark.

They do tend to eat brake pads on both ends.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-16, 10:55 AM
teambell
8th Gear

Thanks a ton Hankinid. I am still on the prowl, that one sold this am.
Old 11-03-16, 11:02 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The LX 470 and 570 are tanks. The high miles doesn't worry me, esp since there are service records. These things will literally last forever with maintenance.

Check the speakers, are they all working? If not, they may be an expensive fix if you go OEM. Does the 4Lo/4Hi engage properly? Also check for rust underneath. Does it have DVD, if so, is it working? Windows all go up and down?
Old 11-03-16, 11:03 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that was quick. How long was this vehicle on the market?
Old 11-03-16, 11:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

You are welcome.

When I searched 7 years ago from our LX470 and 14 months ago for the Land Cruiser, I felt like a cat ready to pounce on dinner...checking half a dozen used car websites 3-4 times a day and finding nothing.

Both trucks showed up while I was almost giving up. One in Bend, the other in Spokane. I made contact with both sellers same days the ads posted. On the '01, I was in Bend with $$ 3 days later. On the Cruiser, I flew to Spokane the next day, test drove, got bank check, drove home. All that babble to say when you find THE / YOUR truck, time is of the essence. Patience even more so. Be ready, maybe, to take a trip.

I don't have production figures on '08 200 series trucks. But Toyota imported only around 7000 of the 200 series in 2015...4000 LX's and 3000 Cruisers.
Contrast that with GM selling > 7.5 MILLION vehicles. All of a sudden you know it will take time.

Last edited by hankinid; 11-03-16 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 08:15 PM
teambell
8th Gear

Originally Posted by docboy
Wow, that was quick. How long was this vehicle on the market?
Less than one week, actually two days out of refresh and detail. I thought I had a few hours this am, but boom, sold.
Old 11-05-16, 02:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Not to worry about the high mileage as long as services are done on time.

When I traded in our 2000 LX470 back in 2013 for a brand new 2013 LX570 we had 280K+miles on it. No major problems. Wife just wanted an updated SUV with all thd technology, especially bluetooth and etc.

My old LX470 literally was sold overnight since we returned to the dealer the next morning to retrieve thd cd's. The LX470 was already at Port waiting to be shipped out to overseas. Lucky thd salesman had retrieved all cd's for us.

The LX470 AND LX570 are really tanks. Somewhere I read these are designed to go 300k+ miles before an engine overhaul as long as all services are done on time.

Originally Posted by docboy
The LX 470 and 570 are tanks. The high miles doesn't worry me, esp since there are service records. These things will literally last forever with maintenance.

Check the speakers, are they all working? If not, they may be an expensive fix if you go OEM. Does the 4Lo/4Hi engage properly? Also check for rust underneath. Does it have DVD, if so, is it working? Windows all go up and down?
Old 11-05-16, 03:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was talking to a dealer about the wholesale prices on LXs and Landcruisers, and he said in most cases, the margins on these vehicles, especially the 200s, is so small because of how much these things even wholesale for, even the hammered ones.
Old 11-05-16, 05:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Of course he tells you the margins are small!!! Otherwise he would not be a good salesman for too long.

What is "small" really is relative to what??

What if I told you overnight you could make a cool $4k on an old, but in excellent condition LX470 without really putting up any "real hard cash"? Is this "small "? So take the old LX470 with the right hand and hand it over to a third party with the left hand and then pickup $4k simultaneously. IDK? But for me it is not "small". But since I didn't have the resources nor the know how nor the patience (and certainly don't want the liability or risks with trying to sell it on my own) the Lexus dealership had, I don't have any regrets as long as I got a good deal on the new LX570 at the time and the dealer will be there to take care of me should I have problems with the new LX570. I knew I got to leave some money on the table for the dealership to keep the lights on and to keep everyone there working with a smile😊😀☺ aND to continue to provide excellent service.

Of course, the dealer made money on the trade! !! Are you kidding me?

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I was talking to a dealer about the wholesale prices on LXs and Landcruisers, and he said in most cases, the margins on these vehicles, especially the 200s, is so small because of how much these things even wholesale for, even the hammered ones.
Old 11-05-16, 10:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

You are comparing the margin made by the dealer who took your trade, then auctioned it off, to the margin of a dealer buying at auction, to then sell on their lot. As you pointed out, most are being exported proving my point where resale values are even higher.

Car history abroad is also harder to track, so your super clean 280k LX470 becomes a 80-120K LX470 when it lands in Nigeria. In 2012 we traded in our mint, fully loaded LX470 with 170k for $10,200 which was then sent over to Benin. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it is an extremely common practice, especially on clean cars.

All unrelated to the OP ha. For info on your LXs in general, just go to IH8MUD, much more active.