Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TWillz
side mirror wobbles when it's windy or I'm traveling on the interstate
Easy and cheap fix - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx-...riving.959459/
Old 03-14-17, 03:47 PM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links guys. The mirror fix seems easy enough, but I'm not sure about tackling the servo repair myself.

I'm thinking about getting in touch with Lexus for a goodwill repair of that one since the vehicle has only ever been serviced by Lexus. Worst case maybe they will cover half of the labor or something even though I'm no longer under warranty.
Old 03-18-17, 08:49 PM
dranjan
Driver School Candidate

I am a new owner of LX570 2015. Since purchase I have had several issues and the dealership is no help. Following are my problems:
1. the steering wheel is too stiff and the SUV pulls to right (dealer couldn't fix it), this combination results in hand ache and arm fatigue
2. the homelink garage door is unprogrammable, several attempts - YouTube - later. Dealer is no help.
3. the cruise computer calculation of cruise range based on fuel in tank is ALWAYs 100 miles or so off. To the point that whenever I manually calculate it I get a tank which is only 18G. I bravely allowed it to go down to a cruise range of <20 miles and then filled up - it only tood 17.6 gallons. So I am left to wonder, is the tank really 18 gallons?

In frustration, I asked the dealer to allow me to drive another 2017 LX570 and allow me to put fuel in it (my expense). I observed this:
1. steering wheel is stiff similar to my SUV
2. the cruise computer was 100 miles off for cruise range calculations.
So these are clearly design faults in LX570. I couldn't check the HOmelink, obviously, the dealer is 75 miles from my house.

Bottom line: My other cars are 2 Jaguars and a GMC Denali XL. I hate to say it, but LX570 is the worst of my four cars. I bought it for my wife's birthday, and she wouldn't drive it as the steering wheel stiffness is a far cry from the ease of maneuvering in our other vehicles.
Old 03-18-17, 08:54 PM
dranjan
Driver School Candidate

Oh, forgot to mention, the dynamic cruise control disconnects when it is raining. This problem didn't exist in the loaner ES that the dealer gave me. The cruise computer calculation issue and ease of handling was also not a problem in the ES. ES is about $60k cheaper!

BTW, I have taken pictures of these issues and gave it to the dealer. He just throws up his hands and pretty much says: go get another dealer (he knows the only other one is about 100 more miles away)
Old 03-18-17, 10:01 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dranjan
1. the steering wheel is too stiff and the SUV pulls to right (dealer couldn't fix it), this combination results in hand ache and arm fatigue
LX570 is one of the few vehicles which still use hydraulic power steering. It gives you much better feedback although it is usually more stiff. Actually, both my daughters hate my LX because of this and don't want to drive it just for a few miles. But I love this and prefer it strongly to electric power steering on most new cars (new cars use electric power steering mostly because of slightly better fuel economy and also the possibility of using active lane assist systems). This is why it is recommended to test drive a car before purchasing it.
LX570 usually does not pull anywhere and it is extremely good at going straight. There is something wrong and it should be fixed.
Old 03-18-17, 10:07 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

3. the cruise computer calculation of cruise range based on fuel in tank is ALWAYs 100 miles or so off. To the point that whenever I manually calculate it I get a tank which is only 18G. I bravely allowed it to go down to a cruise range of <20 miles and then filled up - it only tood 17.6 gallons. So I am left to wonder, is the tank really 18 gallons?
That's normal. All Toyota/Lexus owners know that when computers displays zero, you can still drive about 60 miles. It's good to know it and for me it's not a problem.

Oh, forgot to mention, the dynamic cruise control disconnects when it is raining.
Yes, it happens not only on my LX570 but also on LS460. But just in a quite heavy rain.
Old 03-18-17, 10:13 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My LX 570 2016, I feel fine with its steering wheel ( not too stiff) and it does not pull to right or left. Was it brand new when you got it? If not, it is either had collision and the frame is bent or need alignment.
Old 03-19-17, 08:53 AM
dranjan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for responding. Having an extra 60 mi in your tank when it says zero, is a bit like setting your clock 10 min ahead so that you are not late! For someone who has never owned a Toyota vehicle, it was a bit disconcerting. I can get used to it, as I do to my wife's alarm clocks.

Wish there was a way to get the steering unstiffened.

Any suggestions re Homelink?
Old 03-20-17, 04:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I consider having gas still in the tank after the gauge hits Empty to be a feature.

You need to have the dealer address the homelink and the steering pulling to one side. The stiffness is there to stay.

Did you test drive this vehicle before purchase?
Old 03-21-17, 08:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The steering feel of the LX is there to stay. The LX is the only one now still uses hydraulic system in all of our vehicles (except for our MB SLK55 AMG and the RV which is based on the FORD E450 heavy duty chassis). All of our other vehicles, RX450h, CT200h, RCF all got electric steering. Personally I don't mind the LX heavier feel of the steering. My wife and I actually prefer it over the others. The LX just feels "better" as far as communication feedback how the road is under the SUV. One thing I can't stand is the "floating" feel found in some older Crown Vic's that literally just floats and wondering all over the road. Too much concentration need by me to keep it straight during long drives.

The home link issue maybe you need to clear the memory on the garage door opener itself as it maybe only able to retain x number sets of codes? But IDK if once you cleared it's memory, does it mean you have to reprogram ALL of your devices? This can be a time consuming process as I had done some years ago. When I bought our RX450h and the CT200h the Lexus salesman offered to program both cars if we can bring in a remote clicky opener already programed to open the garage door. He said he can use that clicky to program both new Lexus vehicles. Since I did not want to make another trip back to the dealer, I declined on his offer and just programed​the new cars myself without any issues.

So ask the Lexus dealership for help. If they give you any attitude about it, then I would complain to Lexus HQ in writing and demand a resolution.

Thanks everyone for responding. Having an extra 60 mi in your tank when it says zero, is a bit like setting your clock 10 min ahead so that you are not late! For someone who has never owned a Toyota vehicle, it was a bit disconcerting. I can get used to it, as I do to my wife's alarm clocks.

Wish there was a way to get the steering unstiffened.

Any suggestions re Homelink?

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-21-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:29 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the LX has always had a heavy steering. In the 100 series, the steering in 2007 LX470 was much heavier than the one in a 2006 Land cruiser and I don't really know why. Maybe there is a way to get more power assistance.