LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 01:45 PM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire recommendations

Interested to see what others have chosen for their tires. I recently purchased 18" tundra wheels and am trying to decide on a new set of tires. The suv came with the Michelin Latitude HPs but they were not very effective this past winter. Outside of a dedicated winter set-up, what is everyone using for an all-season or all-terrain tire.

I'd welcome any suggestions, will be 95 - 99% highway.
Old 03-07-16, 11:00 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going down this path too soon, car currently has cooper tyres but theyre old cracked and noisy (still good offroad and a fair chunk of tread though.

I'm personally thinking of going for the general grabber SRL, i love that red writing, should look good on the black car too....
Old 03-07-16, 11:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeore
Interested to see what others have chosen for their tires. I recently purchased 18" tundra wheels and am trying to decide on a new set of tires. The suv came with the Michelin Latitude HPs but they were not very effective this past winter. Outside of a dedicated winter set-up, what is everyone using for an all-season or all-terrain tire.

I'd welcome any suggestions, will be 95 - 99% highway.
Toyo A/T's have been on wife's LX for around 60K...they've got at least another 20K in them. Zero road noise, great off-road, great in snow and rain. Not quite as good as Blizzaks in winter, but that's not what you asked.

Michelin A/T's seem to last about as long as Toyo's, are oriented imo a bit more toward paved v. unpaved roads. I mounted 3 sets on 3 Suburbans before I saw the light of the LX and had no issues.

I'm getting Toyo's for my truck by the end of the month. Latitude HP's were great on great highways, but a tad scary on washboards and typical Forest Service roads. Price was repulsive and I'm not about to verify her governed top speed of 137 mph.

Only other suggestion is to rotate the tires when you change the oil...If you're running syn at 10K intervals, do the tires around 5-7.5K maximum.
Old 03-08-16, 12:30 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I am getting new set of all terrain tires this year on 18's, I will provide this insight:
Currently I am running the stock size Goodyear Eagle IIs and they are slippery when wet or icy, so not good in Winter conditions here in Idaho. They are fairly quiet, but not as quiet as I would expect for something that is very black-top specific. I have had them off-road once and they are a major reason that I am going both to an 18" rim and an all-terrain.
I hope this helps... not that it gives you a straight answer.
Old 03-11-16, 10:30 AM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with duratrac (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...e-2010-lx.html)

They are excellent in deep now, great on ice - they have the mountain and snowflake symbol. but they are heavier than oem, louder, and rougher. if you need to go to the very aggressive end of the AT spectrum, I would suggest you give them a chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in the bush / cottage this spring. I'm hesitant on the 20" size but hey we'll see.

If you don't need the capabilities of a DT, choose something else.

J
Old 03-11-16, 07:09 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

I decided for Michelin LTX AT2 on 18" wheels from '16 Land Cruiser. It's quite comfortable on the highway and good enough for some light offroading.
Old 03-13-16, 07:30 PM
ellags430
Rookie

just as some food for thought, we gave our LX a go on the beach the other evening, it went great with the all terrains that were on it, struggled a touch but they are fairly worn out. also came across some guys running the general SRL that i mentioned above, they couldn't fault their tires, i will definitely be going for a set of them soon!
Old 03-14-16, 03:44 PM
gama2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I decided for Michelin LTX AT2 on 18" wheels from '16 Land Cruiser. It's quite comfortable on the highway and good enough for some light offroading.
I was thinking of getting the same wheels and tire, did you buy it online , how much ?
Thanks
Old 03-14-16, 05:39 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the look of the LX with the new 21 inch wheels, but the tire selection is only Grandtreks which many people on here don't like. Would there be an issue going from 275 50 21 to 275 45 21 on a new LX. In the 45 height there are some more tires available.
Old 03-14-16, 06:20 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by gama2002
I was thinking of getting the same wheels and tire, did you buy it online , how much ?
Thanks
The wheels are purchased on ebay for $650 (removed from new '16 Land Cruiser at the dealership, no scratches) and the tires at Discount Tires for $750.
The problem is that Discount Tires were not able to program TPMS so I had this done at Lexus for about $60.
Old 03-14-16, 06:24 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by malba2366
I love the look of the LX with the new 21 inch wheels, but the tire selection is only Grandtreks which many people on here don't like. Would there be an issue going from 275 50 21 to 275 45 21 on a new LX. In the 45 height there are some more tires available.
I would not do it. At 275/50/21 the rubber height is bare minimum to provide some comfort (not too much) and offroad capabilities are limited to some curbs.
Old 03-15-16, 08:57 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not do it. At 275/50/21 the rubber height is bare minimum to provide some comfort (not too much) and offroad capabilities are limited to some curbs.
I would go for the 20 inch wheels...I actually don't mind the way they look but my dealer couldn't even locate one on the ground or incoming with 20 inch wheels in the entire northeast region.
Old 03-15-16, 10:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
I would call it a major issue. See below.

That's putting it mildly. If anything, I wouldn't go with a larger wheel / smaller tire section choice. I went to 18" tires as I saw ZERO advantage to 20" or larger wheels...higher cost, inability to get a decent tire what would work on a well-paved gravel road, let alone normal forest service road, a much choppier ride compared to a tire with a normal cross-section.

Steve
Old 03-15-16, 04:14 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
I would call it a major issue. See below.

That's putting it mildly. If anything, I wouldn't go with a larger wheel / smaller tire section choice. I went to 18" tires as I saw ZERO advantage to 20" or larger wheels...higher cost, inability to get a decent tire what would work on a well-paved gravel road, let alone normal forest service road, a much choppier ride compared to a tire with a normal cross-section.

Steve
Yes, I agree 100%. I replaced the original 21" wheels with 18" wheels and 275/65/18 tires the first day I purchased my new '16 LX :-) I strongly recommend this to anyone.
Old 03-16-16, 06:37 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ClaytonW - I am curious which wheels you ended up using. Do you have a photo with the 18's?

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations