LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

VGRS steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 07:01 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy VGRS steering problems

Is the VGRS steering new for 2003 or has it always been there since 1998?

I have less than 2,000 km on the '03. The vehicle had what appeared to be an alignment problem since day 1. I was advised to have the "alignment" taken care of at 1st service (1,000 km).

Including the 1st service visit, the car has been taken to the dealer 4 times and they have tried to perform electronic alignment as well as "centering" the steering. Problem still persists. Here is the problem:

1. At low speeds (as in parking lots), when the steering is turned completely, after about one turn or so, there is a "vacuum" momentarily i.e. the steering feels completely soft and no effort is required for about 1/8 of a turn. The steering returns to normal functioning and effort is again required to continue turning.

2. At normal cruising, the steering has to be turned about 1/8th to the right to continue driving in straight line. Some time the problem is the exact opposite i.e. hold the steering to the left to go in straight line. All this is happening even after computerized alignment and "centering" the VGRS with dealer computer.

3. The steering is also very sensitive at high speeds (which defeats the purpose of VGRS - supposed to be hard at high speeds for better vehicle stability). I fund myself constantly have to move the steering 1/8th to the right or left to drive in a straight line!!!!.

4. After changing lanes from right to left, I have to turn the steering to the right (past the center) otherwise the car continues to drfit to the left.

I sold my Mercedes ML to purchase a Lexus LX. I am beginning to wonder if it was a mistake !!

I am wondering if others have experience similar problems or have explanations/advice they can share.

Old 01-28-03, 02:29 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Wow, a problem like this is a basic safety issue. I am not familiar with the VGRS feature and I could not tell you if my '99 has it or not. But I don't recall any other threads on steering issues like this.

If you have the option, take your LX to another dealer. Your current dealer does not sound competent.
Old 01-29-03, 03:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hmm

When you say you need to hold the steering wheel slightly to the left or right.. is it because of the crowning of the road? Because that is normal. But yeah, I'd second the vote for a different dealer check up. Have them contact the regional service manager about it if they don't seem to pinpoint the problem. Lexus Service is remarkable, utilize it!!
Rest easy, dropping the ML for an LX was in no way a mistake.
Old 01-30-03, 01:19 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

03LX,

Where are you located? Why dont you go back to the dealer and drive another 03LX and see if your acts the same. Take the service manager and have him/her drive both as well. Then demand for the LX to be fixed right or replace it with a brand new model without the problem.
Old 02-01-03, 01:33 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Update:

The vehicle was taken 3 times for half day visits (they put approx. 150 kms on road testing after "centering" the steering each time). They told me every thing was ok (it wasn't) and I should try it out for a few more days.

The next day the vehicle was taken to a gas station for fuel and also washed there (manual wash). After the wash, the VGRS, VSC TRC and VSC OFF lights came on. I immediately took the vehicle back to the service center. Then finally it was left with the service center for 2 days. It has now been returned. I still havent received a good explanation for those lights coming on but just told that "we took care of everything". However, the anomalies still exist.

For instance, after a LEFT turn or LEFT U-turn, the steering returns past the center and moves on to the RIGHT (1/4 to 1/2 turn). Simultaneously the car is moving STRAIGHT !! It then requires manual intervention to bring the wheel to the center and wiggle it around the center to have it remain in the center.

The vehicle had approximately 350 kms additional on it when it was returned. I am told this was due to the extensive road testing they had done. What testing !!!! Basically the mechanics have driven 25% of the total kms on the vehicle since new !!

I had also complained that the muffler was rusted (they said oxidation must have happened on the ship; i told them regardless of the reason, i paid for a vehicle with a new muffler and did not tick mark the rusted muffler option box on the order form!). They looked under and found the engine manifold pipe? rusted and replaced that. Apparently they mistook it for the muffler or it was more prominently rusted so they noticed it. They have promised to replace the muffler on the 5,000 km service. I have lost confidence in this particular vehicle. Where does one find the comfort that other parts will not get rusted or abruptly start malfunctioning in the near future?

The vehicle is in the UAE but was purchased from the Oman dealer as the price was about $3,000 less. Hence the UAE dealer will not honor the warranty. The Oman dealer has a service center here (which is obviously less than well equipped). I have gone to the UAE showroom and looked at the mufflers - they are fine. Yes, it was a mistake to not pay that extra $3,000

I wish Lexus had a regional complaint center here where one could seek assistance to resolve such situations. I would also appreciate it if anyone can share fax numbers or email of Lexus Japan or Toyota Japan.
Old 02-02-03, 02:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sorry

Sorry to hear about your problems. But don't let it get you down about Lexus vehicles. They are the most solid I know of, but even the best has a bad apple every now and then. I'd definitely pursue the company, even drive back to where you bought it, if possible.