LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Side mirror issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 06:04 PM
dwagner147
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirror issue

I have a 2003 LX470 in the past fews days the drivers side mirror has started acting up. When i start i hear a motor turning as if it is trying to rotate mirror out. Even though it is already in the correct position. It continues to try to turn and just keeps clicking with mirror in correct position. Originally i could fold mirror in via the switch and then extend and it would seemingly stop. Today however the motor continues to keep turning and mirror clicks.

The switch still works to fold them in but will keep motor running when i try to re-extend. It is as if a stop on the plate mirror rotates on is gone or not being recognized. It never rotates it past the correct angle but motor just keeps running. I can adjust mirror no problem with switch set to left but motor keeps running. Motor runs even if switch is ni the middle position.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by dwagner147; 07-14-09 at 06:05 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 07-14-09, 09:29 PM
pearlLx
Driver School Candidate

tryin experimenting with moving the mirror while the car is off then turn the car on and press the button. or maybe hold the mirror in place, then press the retraction button. maybe it will reset itself
Old 07-15-09, 09:49 AM
dwagner147
Driver School Candidate

tried that today and it seems to sometimes stop the motor from running. When i hold the mirror with just enough pressure to stop it from clicking but not too hard it will stop motor as well. then i can move mirror manually to the fuly extended position.

is there a diagram of this mirror avialable anywhere to see how it works? i have tried taking off car and can not seem to get inside to see what the motor is being stopped by.
Old 07-17-09, 07:01 AM
dwagner147
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer resolution

I took to dealer today and apparently according to dealer no repair possible. He said they rarely can repair anything on these mirrors. So the entire mirror assembly has to be replaced. All for a grand ol' price of $775 for the part!!!!! I told them I will find it somewhere else.

This will be my last trip to Lexus service. Had vowed to never go back after $90 oil change last time but thought there might be some benefit to lexus knowledge on this part.

Someone had suggested pulling fuse but the fuse controls radio and defroster as well according to them. So to stop spinning I will be taking door apart to disconnect mirror rather then have frosted windows and silence in the winter!!!
Old 11-16-11, 01:52 AM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife has and '06 GS300. Hers just started doing that. Did you ever get it resolved?? Are these Lexus's an electrical nightmare??
Old 11-16-11, 06:20 AM
dwagner147
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice touch

I ended up being a cheap skate and getting wiring diagram. Taking door apart enough to get to wiring and cutting wire that controls motor. So now i am driving around in my top of the line Lexus SUV with black electrical tape holding the mirror in place. For $800 I can buy a lot of electrical tape!
Do not think it was the wiring for me as much as someone nicely snapped some internal piece off in a parking lot when they bumped into mirror walking by. And when car started the mirror did not seem to be in correct position to some sensor. I had a Landcrusier before and had mirror issue with it as well. Replaced that mirror as well but it was "only" $300 and i did it myself.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-11, 04:47 AM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know, I remember bumping in to one of the mirrors and had to straighten it out, but allot of cars have mirrors that fold, so I didn't think anything about it. Wonder if it's because of what I did?? If that's the case, what a BAD IDEA to have electric folding mirrors.....
Old 12-01-11, 01:01 PM
A2BTLC
Driver School Candidate

Wow. My 2004 LX470 just started doing same on passenger side. I seldom use the mirror retract button and there is no "auto" setting (as far as I know).

I start the car in the morning, and once in a while the passenger mirror motor starts to run. Its as if it had been folded in. The motor stops after a second, as if it was finished folding out.

It must be a short. Unless it gets worse, I'll leave it alone.

Bruce
A2BTLC
TLCA member
Old 12-07-11, 01:04 PM
koolkevinj
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2004 and had the same problem. It's the motor that goes bad. It will eventually get worse to the point it runs almost constantly at startup. The dealer told me you can't buy parts for it.. The whole mirror assembly had to be replaced.
I lived with it for a couple years before it got to the point where it wouldn't stop running..
Old 12-15-11, 09:58 AM
north100
Driver School Candidate

Default Passenger side mirror

Originally Posted by dwagner147
I have a 2003 LX470 in the past fews days the drivers side mirror has started acting up. When i start i hear a motor turning as if it is trying to rotate mirror out. Even though it is already in the correct position. It continues to try to turn and just keeps clicking with mirror in correct position. Originally i could fold mirror in via the switch and then extend and it would seemingly stop. Today however the motor continues to keep turning and mirror clicks.

The switch still works to fold them in but will keep motor running when i try to re-extend. It is as if a stop on the plate mirror rotates on is gone or not being recognized. It never rotates it past the correct angle but motor just keeps running. I can adjust mirror no problem with switch set to left but motor keeps running. Motor runs even if switch is ni the middle position.

Any thoughts.
I experienced the same, but passenger side. I bought my 99 Lx470 used, and the psgr mirror did not work. I have heard/read that the mirror control box is an issue on these vehs. Once, when raining, it did the motor running and clicking routine. I checked switch and wiring and concluded that it was the mirror control ecu, located in the driver's door. They are about 250 - 300 new. I just purchased a used one, have not installed it yet - will report back.
Old 12-15-11, 03:53 PM
A2BTLC
Driver School Candidate

North100,

Thanks for the info and I look forward to your feedback once you have made the repair. $300 is way better than $800 for a new mirror and possible repeat problem.

Bruce
"A to B in a Toyota Land Cruiser"
TLCA Member