LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX-470 roof rack questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 05:32 AM
Lukespaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX-470 roof rack questions

Hello to all. This is my first post and I look forward to participating.

We recently purchased a 2002 LX-470 in mostly good condition but with a few issues we plan to address. The first issue is the roof rack which is peeling badly. (In fact, it's hard to believe the condition of the roof rack given the rest of the car.) We plan to remove the roof rack and paint it. Here's my initial questions:
  • What is the rack made of? I assume it's aluminum but can't tell for certain with the rack still attached.
  • What's the best way to remove the end caps? Is there a particular spot where pressure is applied? Is there a particular trim tool I should use?
  • I plan to clean everything, light sand, apply self-etching primer and spray paint. Is anything else needed?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-18, 08:35 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukespaw
Hello to all. This is my first post and I look forward to participating.

We recently purchased a 2002 LX-470 in mostly good condition but with a few issues we plan to address. The first issue is the roof rack which is peeling badly. (In fact, it's hard to believe the condition of the roof rack given the rest of the car.) We plan to remove the roof rack and paint it. Here's my initial questions:
  • What is the rack made of? I assume it's aluminum but can't tell for certain with the rack still attached. It's all aluminum, save the end caps and the bases they fit into.
  • What's the best way to remove the end caps? Is there a particular spot where pressure is applied? Is there a particular trim tool I should use? The end caps pull off at around 45 degrees toward you. There are push-on fasteners on the base. Sometimes when you lift the end caps up and out, you'll see a fastener attached to the cap. Be sure to replace it onto the base before you reassemble. You may need a small thin screwdriver along the seam of the base to start, but mine pull off easily...thin plastic gloves also help your hands get traction.
  • I plan to clean everything, light sand, apply self-etching primer and spray paint. Is anything else needed? That's all you'll need. Make sure your paint is compatible with both metal and plastic.
Thanks in advance.
You're more than welcome and I hth. To avoid wind noise, be sure to reassemble so that the thick side of the side bars face forward, and that the forward bar is as forward as possible, and the rear is as far back as you can get it. Toyota issued a TSB as to wind noise from the rack, and that was their solution.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Chocolate (02-12-18)